Transfer funds

The way I see it.......The only way we can generate a serious transfer pot for Joe next season would be to sell Taylor to the highest bidder and I think this topic has probably been discussed by TTA.

We wont get out of this division unless we get in 4 or 5 quality players to complement our youngsters and selling Taylor might just give us the cash we need.

I know Taylor is Oldham through and through and a big crowd favourite but he's hardly going to win this league on his own is he.. and sometimes players need to be sacrificed for the long term future of the club.

Thoughts and comments...............????

The way I see it.......The only way we can generate a serious transfer pot for Joe next season would be to sell Taylor to the highest bidder and I think this topic has probably been discussed by TTA.

We wont get out of this division unless we get in 4 or 5 quality players to complement our youngsters and selling Taylor might just give us the cash we need.

I know Taylor is Oldham through and through and a big crowd favourite but he's hardly going to win this league on his own is he.. and sometimes players need to be sacrificed for the long term future of the club.

I wouldnt be going out of my way to sell him but if a decent offer comes in I think we would be silly not to take it....

I wouldnt be going out of my way to sell him but if a decent offer comes in I think we would be silly not to take it....

Exactly. And the same goes for any of our players. The pathetic nature of this season means any rose tinted specs have been taken off about keeping any of our players, no matter what thier background. If cash is there to rebuild then take it.

i think in all honesty,joe is going to build a team in the same sort of mould as taylor,ie he says he has that hunger and eye for goal,and can play in a few positions.

i think however if any offers came in for other players,we would definately be listening to them and boosting the coffers so to speak.

the squad has already been trimmed,in readiness,so there is already a pot of cash building in saved wages,the tta's will be giving some funding,they always have,but joe will also have to generate his own cash.

but he has a far better network of scouts and people to call upon than any other previous manager we have had.

The trouble is when (especially) lower league clubs know you have a transfer fund like we would have if we sold Taylor, they start asking silly money for the players we are after........

Exactly. The money we would get from the deal would be in effect worth less when we tried to put it back into buying new players. We should only sell Taylor if silly money is offered, what you would call a decent offer wouldn't cut it, same with Eardley. With Eardley we should be looking to get similar to what Tottenham paid for Chris Gunter and even more for Taylor given the general trend that attacking players cost more. Anything under 1M should be considered an insult in the grand scheme of things, players we could get for less than 100k now would suddenly be worth 300k and we would be left in a difficult situation trying to replace him.

Edit: I think we should rely on a JR's long list of contacts and ability to bring in the right players, whilst doing our best to match last year's budget. Give him a proper chance, one thing I don't think we'll be seeing is the wasting of funds in the loan market, that was one of the biggest failings of this season. The loan market can be a real asset to us but we shouldn't allow our club to be used like it was last season for unfit strikers to come and have a a bit of a run around at the expense of our own youngsters development.

Edited by LeylandLatic