i'm guessing joe will be here in some capacity..be it manager,general manager,whatever.

he's done a lot already ,stamping his mark on things,for him to walk away..thats unless the offer he gets to stay on is just plain lousy for him.

i feel he wants to stay..its up to TTA to want him to stay too.

General manager?? What does that position entail of then?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manager nothing more nothing less, anything else thanks but no thanks otherwise he'll cast a great big shadow over the new incumbent. They've got to be their own man and not manipulated by the club's hierachy - there has been too much of that over the last couple of seasons. The new manager has to have absolute control over team matters and recruitment. That's why I want Joe to stay, he'll tell the hierachy when the level of intervention is unacceptable no matter who they are but if i'm honest that's why I don't think he'll stay - not without a boardroom re-shuffle or the reigning in of one or two's influence.

A large and pointless salary that the club cannot and should not afford.

Or a minimal salary to a man who loves the club, who can help use his contacts and stability within the game to support a young manager whilst maintaining his semi-retired status and media jobs.

It's what I said Shez needed and I think for a minimal salary it would be the ideal role for Royle at Latics.

Manager nothing more nothing less, anything else thanks but no thanks otherwise he'll cast a great big shadow over the new incumbent. They've got to be their own man and not manipulated by the club's hierachy - there has been too much of that over the last couple of seasons. The new manager has to have absolute control over team matters and recruitment. That's why I want Joe to stay, he'll tell the hierachy when the level of intervention is unacceptable no matter who they are but if i'm honest that's why I don't think he'll stay - not without a boardroom re-shuffle or the reigning in of one or two's influence.

Maybe he'll provide the barrier between meddling board level employees and the manager?

Or a minimal salary to a man who loves the club, who can help use his contacts and stability within the game to support a young manager whilst maintaining his semi-retired status and media jobs.

It's what I said Shez needed and I think for a minimal salary it would be the ideal role for Royle at Latics.

Rubbish. Why would Royle want to be payed (or why would we pay royle) for giving us a few pointers if he loves the club?

Its a cast iron fact that can not be ignored so I have understanding of Diego's position.

Personally I dont know who to blame for the current issues we have... Start of the season we seemed to have a great squad, a decent manager and a board who knew what they where doing... Now to be frank, all three are in question and I find it hard to judge Joe because of the question mark surrounding the other factors...

People seem to think getting rid of the manager was the route to sorting all this out...I am not convinced...

after watching all sheridans interviews on lw,,,i got the impression he was an arrogant :censored:

then you watch joe royle and the proffessionalism and likeability oozes out

if i was a footballer looking for a club,,i know who id rather play for

maybe this is why all sheridan could attract was tossers

after watching all sheridans interviews on lw,,,i got the impression he was an arrogant :censored:

then you watch joe royle and the proffessionalism and likeability oozes out

if i was a footballer looking for a club,,i know who id rather play for

maybe this is why all sheridan could attract was tossers

I wouldn't quite have chosen the extreme of adjectives used, but agree with the overall point made!!

Damien Comolli at spurs/ Avram Grant at chelski / Dennis Wise at newcastle are the only directors of football I can think of off the top of my head but their tenures all ultimately ended in arguments over authority and/or failure. Can anyone think of a director of football appointment that hasn't failed miserably??

Damien Comolli at spurs/ Avram Grant at chelski / Dennis Wise at newcastle are the only directors of football I can think of off the top of my head but their tenures all ultimately ended in arguments over authority and/or failure. Can anyone think of a director of football appointment that hasn't failed miserably??

apologies for thinking out loud.

well to do what exactly?

well if he isn't team manager next season,in a capacity as director of football,he could help to ease the club into more shipshape .

helping a new youngish manager maybe,with advise and guidance,with tactics,spotting mistakes as well as signing players,contracts etc and taking overall pressure off the TEAM manager concentrates in that area.

still sounds daft?isn't it "doable"?

we certainly ain't in the position of getting an experienced football manager(barring joe),so if the team managers job isn't for him,he may look to the above instead.

anyway,it was just a rhetorical suggestion...i haven't asked for his bollocks on a plate have i? B)

well if he isn't team manager next season,in a capacity as director of football,he could help to ease the club into more shipshape .

helping a new youngish manager maybe,with advise and guidance,with tactics,spotting mistakes as well as signing players,contracts etc and taking overall pressure off the TEAM manager concentrates in that area.

we certainly ain't in the position of getting an experienced football manager(barring joe),so if the team managers job isn't for him,he may look to the above instead.

anyway,it was just a rhetorical suggestion...i haven't asked for his bollocks on a plate have i? B)

If a new yougish manager cant spot mstakes, tactical faults, needs help with signings, contracts then what the hell is he doing going into management in the first place? and what are we doing signing him? skint or not! we might aswell bring Sheridan back then! Director of football doesnt work which has been proven with numerous clubs over the years.

If he gets us promoted i will eat his bollocks on a plate :grin:

If a new yougish manager cant spot mstakes, tactical faults, needs help with signings, contracts then what the hell is he doing going into management in the first place? and what are we doing signing him? skint or not! we might aswell bring Sheridan back then! Director of football doesnt work which has been proven with numerous clubs over the years.

i'd read over your own reply again and think if shez would have done better with a joe royle type figure in the background.

would have he handled situations differently?

and,instead of sorting out contracts etc,concentrating on getting tactics right and so called "set pieces" we had a few giggles at this season.

its a very common set up on the continent,so i wouldn't mock...and that includes clubs the same size as ourselves.

if a new youngish manager see's EVERY mistake,EVERY tactical fault,etc etc,he won't be at latics...he'll be ready for purple noses job.

its called being helped and learning from a veteran.

as for the examples given before re:spurs,chelski,newcastle...it was a case of ego v ego there.

royle would be there to guide and help...

like i said,a thought-not a suggestion.

i'd read over your own reply again and think if shez would have done better with a joe royle type figure in the background.

would have he handled situations differently?

and,instead of sorting out contracts etc,concentrating on getting tactics right and so called "set pieces" we had a few giggles at this season.

its a very common set up on the continent,so i wouldn't mock...and that includes clubs the same size as ourselves.

if a new youngish manager see's EVERY mistake,EVERY tactical fault,etc etc,he won't be at latics...he'll be ready for purple noses job.

its called being helped and learning from a veteran.

as for the examples given before re:spurs,chelski,newcastle...it was a case of ego v ego there.

royle would be there to guide and help...

like i said,a thought-not a suggestion.

A manager that needs help with players contracts, tactics and set pieces - i think you have been brainwashed by the premier league

Young or old if they are not up to the job then what the hell are they doing in this job?

A manager that needs help with players contracts, tactics and set pieces - i think you have been brainwashed by the premier league

Young or old if they are not up to the job then what the hell are they doing in this job?

So you are saying a player stepping into a manager's position should instantly and seamlessly get the job right without assistance?

I think you are taking up valuable space in the atmosphere!!!

So you are saying a player stepping into a manager's position should instantly and seamlessly get the job right without assistance?

I think you are taking up valuable space in the atmosphere!!!

No thats what an assistant manager is employed for - example; Shearer and Dowie, not a Dennis Wise type figure!

'i think you are taking up valuable space in the atmosphere!!!' - errr?