Interesting fact I didn't know till now

This coming Sunday who are you rooting for to get that 2nd auto spot out of the Championship into the greedy league?

Are you asking does it matter? cos until today I would have said the same unless I had a second team out there in with a chance.

Well here's what's interesting and why I am now rooting for Birmingham. As you'll be aware sides dropping out of the Premgreed recieve parachute payments for 2 years, of which Birmingham currently enjoy, having recieved it this season and are due another the next. Now if Birmingham go up they don't recieve the parachute but instead recieve their greedy league dues. The 2nd season's parchute payments are there for not utilised by any team and that money is then cascaded down the leagues in shares.

So there you have it, Brum go up, Latics recieve a share of the parachute money.

Also, Newcastle have not made any contingency plans within the players contracts to take a drop in wages should they go down. Expect them in League one sometime very soon!

Edited by Lags

This coming Sunday who are you rooting for to get that 2nd auto spot out of the Championship into the greedy league?

Are you asking does it matter? cos until today I would have said the same unless I had a second team out there in with a chance.

Well here's what's interesting and why I am now rooting for Birmingham. As you'll be aware sides dropping out of the Premgreed recieve parachute payments for 2 years, of which Birmingham currently enjoy, having recieved it this season and are due another the next. Now if Birmingham go up they don't recieve the parachute but instead recieve their greedy league dues. The 2nd season's parchute payments are there for not utilised by any team and that money is then cascaded down the leagues in shares.

So there you have it, Brum go up, Latics recieve a share of the parachute money.

If Reading go up through the play offs then would that mean we would get a bigger share of the parachute money as they like Brum would forgoe their parachute payments?

If thats the case Come on You Royals!

If Reading go up through the play offs then would that mean we would get a bigger share of the parachute money as they like Brum would forgoe their parachute payments?

I expect so. Don't see why that wouldn't happen.

i'm considering putting substantial amount on Colin looking after his beloved Blades :unsure:

Surely not after all the whingeing he did about Liverpool and Man U playing weakened teams against Sheffield Utd's relegation rivals in 2007? He'd never do such a thing,would he?

Well the 10 million cascades down. All we need now is the Micah money and penney will have a few dollars to play with.

Does anyone else think the parachute payments give an unfair advantage to those teams coming down from the Prem. In essence they allow a team to have a go at promotion retaining premiership standard players, rewarded for their failure.

Does anyone else think the parachute payments give an unfair advantage to those teams coming down from the Prem. In essence they allow a team to have a go at promotion retaining premiership standard players, rewarded for their failure.

Totally unfair, but:

I think the idea was put in place as an alternative to reducing the number of relegated sides to 2.

So if it's a straight choice, I think the parachute payments are the lesser of two evils.

It was to help clubs with their wage bills. Prem greed clubs recieve 40 million in TV rights cash which reduces to 2 million in the Championship (these were the figures for Newcastle this season at any rate). It's still not helped a good number of clubs that's tumbled out the Prem in terms of debt incurred and the inevitable fall down the leagues and into admin.

It was to help clubs with their wage bills. Prem greed clubs recieve 40 million in TV rights cash which reduces to 2 million in the Championship (these were the figures for Newcastle this season at any rate). It's still not helped a good number of clubs that's tumbled out the Prem in terms of debt incurred and the inevitable fall down the leagues and into admin.

This is true.

I prefer a contract that says "If you're crap and we get relegated as a result, your pay will half".

I'm sure the legal experts can neaten up the wording slightly, but you get my drift.

Totally unfair, but:

I think the idea was put in place as an alternative to reducing the number of relegated sides to 2.

So if it's a straight choice, I think the parachute payments are the lesser of two evils.

Plus, if newly promoted sides were budgeting on the assumption they would be relegated, then they would probably only be able to offer players one year deals, which would severely hamper their chances of staying up in the Premier League. Would rather give them a small advantage coming down than effectively guarantee that whichever three sides went up came down again.

This is true.

I prefer a contract that says "If you're crap and we get relegated as a result, your pay will half".

I'm sure the legal experts can neaten up the wording slightly, but you get my drift.

But would you sign for Stoke on that condition?

But would you sign for Stoke on that condition?

Half of a lot is still quite a lot.

And if nobody better than Stoke is offering you a deal then why not?

I take your point, and it is a fair one.

Ultimately, footballers' wages at that level are offensive and rarely reflect contribution to success or failure. More contracts should include reductions in wage if a team gets relegated. At the moment they seem to have release clauses to get the players an easy move away.

It's all a bit one sided at the moment.

So in the region of an extra 150k for latics?

Unfortunately, I assume that the Championship clubs would take the lions share with the likes of us getting about £50k and the division below about half of that.

Still, it'll be a nice bonus whatever the amount and if Reading go up, double-bubble.

No, there's £11m if 1 club doesn't need a parachute payment, but the next stage is a rise to £22m if 3 clubs don't need them.

Also, the funds are distributed in line with the FL's distribution regulations (i.e. most of it goes to the championship).

see here:- http://www.premierleague.com/staticFiles/4...06~91466,00.pdf

Edited by real