Future of the Flag

Museum de Latique

What should happen to the flag?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen to the flag?

• Let it sit and rot
    • Let Museum de Latique keep it for the future
    • Let someone else have it.
    • Try and find a fan to nominate as "keeper" who can look after the flag while keeping it at BP

Far as I know the match safety officer will no longer allow the flag to be used because of its condition.

So its sitting at BP going to ruin.

I think it would be a shame to let that happen.

Lets preserve it for the future - maybe exhibitions at the library or for a "museum" at the club (Nothing planned as far as I know). Once it is gone though it is gone.

I would like to have it for the MdL. I have lots of room in my attic and I think my collection will be donated the club in the future anyway.

Alternatively someone else store it - as long as it is not destroyed.

Guest sheridans_world

The reason it wasnt allowed to be used was because it was damp and wet.

If its looked after, it can still be used. Its not in too bad condition, its just damp. It needs airing and someone to keep an eye on it. Possibly putting it up over the seats in the chaddy between games, keep it fresh. Nothing more needs doing, there definatley isnt any need for it to go to someone's house and gather dust in a loft.

Guest sheridans_world

I think the issue with the terracing is that it is a little too exposed to wind etc, in the stands it offers some protection from the elements.

I think the issue with the terracing is that it is a little too exposed to wind etc, in the stands it offers some protection from the elements.

And there was me thinking that wouldn't be much of an issue through an Oldham summer.... :wink:

Yep, it seems my view of Oldham was somewhat distorted this afternoon.

Was it really sunny today?

job1 - get it dried. someone to email AH asap and ask if it can be tied to the seats in one of the stands until it's dry. it needs 3 or 4 to put it out to dry.

job2 - work out what to do with it longer term. we've discussed and tried this before but there is no point leaving it at the back of the Chaddy to get wet again. Mark keeps trying to get some interest going but it needs more people to get involved rather than just a couple - it's a pain to put away at the end of a game. I don't think there is enough interest in the Chaddy now to make it possible - if it's going to be used it needs to be in the RRE

If we aren't going to use it - it should be stored properly which means it has to come out of the stand.

job1 - get it dried. someone to email AH asap and ask if it can be tied to the seats in one of the stands until it's dry. it needs 3 or 4 to put it out to dry.

job2 - work out what to do with it longer term. we've discussed and tried this before but there is no point leaving it at the back of the Chaddy to get wet again. Mark keeps trying to get some interest going but it needs more people to get involved rather than just a couple - it's a pain to put away at the end of a game. I don't think there is enough interest in the Chaddy now to make it possible - if it's going to be used it needs to be in the RRE

If we aren't going to use it - it should be stored properly which means it has to come out of the stand.

It is 7 weeks since it was posted on these boards that the flag couldnt be used because of its condition. No one has bothered. I just dont want it to sit and rot.

Has the time of large flags passed - like the inflatable's craze.

Looks good to other stands but do those actually underneath it enjoy it?.

The lack of enthusiasm speaks volumes.

It is 7 weeks since it was posted on these boards that the flag couldnt be used because of its condition. No one has bothered. I just dont want it to sit and rot.

Has the time of large flags passed - like the inflatable's craze.

Looks good to other stands but do those actually underneath it enjoy it?.

The lack of enthusiasm speaks volumes.

Gary

do you want to help sort it out? PM me

Guest sheridans_world
i'd say he just WANTS it.

Yeah, me too.

I, along with Mark and Jovik, have all helped look at the flag/sort it out over the last couple of seasons.

I'm hopefully going to get along to the club sometime and get the flag put up inside one of the stands to air it out, I need to talk to Alan though.

Starting next season I should be around the club early before games anyway so there is chance to do maintenance there.

I dont see what the difference is between letting it stay in the stands and letting it go in someone's loft* and gather dust and add to their personal "memorabilia" collection.

*if they can get it in there anyway, its huge and heavy.

Yeah, me too.

I, along with Mark and Jovik, have all helped look at the flag/sort it out over the last couple of seasons.

I'm hopefully going to get along to the club sometime and get the flag put up inside one of the stands to air it out, I need to talk to Alan though.

Starting next season I should be around the club early before games anyway so there is chance to do maintenance there.

I dont see what the difference is between letting it stay in the stands and letting it go in someone's loft* and gather dust and add to their personal "memorabilia" collection.

*if they can get it in there anyway, its huge and heavy.

Because it won't rot and be looked after unlike now. What's up aint it your loft? Yeah let Gary take it if it's to be preserved in a Latics collection.

Because it won't rot and be looked after unlike now. What's up aint it your loft? Yeah let Gary take it if it's to be preserved in a Latics collection.

Mr Poultry (who I believe played something of a rol ingetting the flag to it;s current state, ie not in bits) has it right. All efforts should go into taking care of the flag at the ground. If it's not going to happen and it will go to rot, then there are all sorts of possibilities rather than one keen collector having it (although I don't doubt his good will). When the first talk came up of what to do with it came up I thought it would be better to make lots of small pieces to sell, with the classic bits being bid for, if the option was to let it go to waste. But as I say, better to keep it OK and in one piece if we can.

Yeah, me too.

I do "want it" - but not the flag.

Anyway - it's no good just looking at it - something needs to be done. First thing is - get it dried out.

this flag perfectly mirrors the club since it was made. trimmed down, cut up and left to rot, with the occassional hurrah. but with a few people doing their best to save it.

Edited by daznathe