When I heard about the 4500 season tickets scheme I..

daznathe

what did you do  

115 members have voted

1. 1. When i heard about the scheme I..

• laughed
    • scoffed
    • got really excited and told all my friends
    • couldnt believe that the people who came up with the scheme even believed it themselves
  2. 2. if you got really excited and told all your friends, did they..

• laugh
    • scoff
    • get really excited and tell all their friends
    • dismiss it out of hand with something like '4500 season tickets? are they stupid?'
  3. 3. i then decided that..

• this scheme was never intended to pay out
    • this scheme was ever intended to pay out, and insults my inteligence
    • i already knew it was never going to happen
    • i think it will happen
    • i dont think it will happen, but applaud the initiative shown
    • i am undecided

applaud the initiative shown maybe? and 'why do people like to knock incentives?' well thats a question, maybe you should ask it. for the record, i dont view a 'potential' £70 saving as an incentive. why is potential in quotation marks? because when i first heard the scheme i knew lots of people would say '£238 to watch a pile of crap every week? thats still a waste of money' and they did.

personally i believe this is the most half baked promotion ever. if we sell 1200 extra season tickets at an average of, say, £350 then thats £420k. we now have to pay out £70 to 4500 people, so thats £315k.

this is not what stayaway fans are looking for, especially if they believe the stupid 'theyre just three jews trying to make some money' arguement.

applaud the initiative shown maybe? and 'why do people like to knock incentives?' well thats a question, maybe you should ask it. for the record, i dont view a 'potential' £70 saving as an incentive. why is potential in quotation marks? because when i first heard the scheme i knew lots of people would say '£238 to watch a pile of crap every week? thats still a waste of money' and they did.

personally i believe this is the most half baked promotion ever. if we sell 1200 extra season tickets at an average of, say, £350 then thats £420k. we now have to pay out £70 to 4500 people, so thats £315k.

this is not what stayaway fans are looking for, especially if they believe the stupid 'theyre just three jews trying to make some money' arguement.

The first comment in bold: You've not seen many then. At the end of a season that was ultimately disappointing the options for sensible promotions were limited. Cutting prices of STs drastically , say to £100, means that we'd need to sell about 9000 to stand still in income terms. Not going to happen. So the club put forward an option that may have had only a limited chance of success but did offer something . Easy to sneer at it.

The second comment in bold: - You have tried to distance yourself from its racism. I'm not sure you have succeeded.

The first comment in bold: You've not seen many then. At the end of a season that was ultimately disappointing the options for sensible promotions were limited. Cutting prices of STs drastically , say to £100, means that we'd need to sell about 9000 to stand still in income terms. Not going to happen. So the club put forward an option that may have had only a limited chance of success but did offer something . Easy to sneer at it.

The second comment in bold: - You have tried to distance yourself from its racism. I'm not sure you have succeeded.

its only easy to sneer at because its so rubbish.

your attempt to tarnish my views by implying racism will be ignored.

The fans on here where demanding a similar deal to what Bradford did and we got it...

I laughed at it when the club announced it... Then again I laughed at people on here suggesting it in the first place...

The club was right to put the offer out but I am 99% sure they know it will fail...

The fans on here where demanding a similar deal to what Bradford did and we got it...

But it's not like Bradford. It could never be like Bradford (or Huddersfield).

Their significantly larger capacity gives them the opportunity to offer significantly larger discounts than 20% of the ticket value.

New stand needed before that sort of offer could ever work at BP.

I fail to see any racism in that comment - it shows no prejuidice towards the Jewish faith but simply states the owners' religion.

Let's face it, the offer was a tad ambitious to say the least, If I was to grade the effort I'd give it a D+ More work required for success on this.

The club was right to put the offer out but I am 99% sure they know it will fail...

This here.

The possibility of a discount wasn't going to influence my decision but the idea being that it gives the fans an incentive to do abit of marketing on the club behalf if every season ticket holder convinces just one person other person to buy a season ticket we smash the 4500 barrier and get money back plus the manager gets a better budget to work with which means a better team which means we get more value for money.

But it's not like Bradford. It could never be like Bradford (or Huddersfield).

Their significantly larger capacity gives them the opportunity to offer significantly larger discounts than 20% of the ticket value.

New stand needed before that sort of offer could ever work at BP.

It is very similar to Bradford's...

Hit a certain number to get a certain discount....

It is very similar to Bradford's...

Hit a certain number to get a certain discount....

Fairly sure their scheme accelerated the discount to a ticket price of £99 for an adult.

Which is significantly different to getting the price down to £238.

Quite happy to be told I'm wrong if this isn't the case.

(seems they're just charging £250 for next season - will be interesting to see if 12,000+ home crowds are achived again. If they do, this will confirm the viability of similar schemes at other clubs.

I fail to see any racism in that comment - it shows no prejuidice towards the Jewish faith but simply states the owners' religion.

Let's face it, the offer was a tad ambitious to say the least, If I was to grade the effort I'd give it a D+ More work required for success on this.

You know very well that being Jewish is more than a religion. Why the need to mention their ethnicity to make the point?

TTA do stand to make money out of the club if the stadium redevelopment comes off. (You can hardly expect them to be involved for charitable reasons.) Until then they seem to be losing money at our floundering, loss-making club hand over fist and have no plan B. The season ticket offer reflects this, being over-ambitious when there is verty little cause for optimism.

I have mentioned this before that 4,500 tickets refunded at £70 each would cost the club £300,000 - where oh where would we get that sort of money from? Someone thought that would come from the extra revenue raised by the extra tickets. Rubbish!! To raise that kind of money 1,000 people would be watching for nothing - I can't see it somehow.

Has anyone at the club thought of building an open air stand on the broadway side (Blackpool) for away supporters. Look at the extra money it will raise - that will probably pay for itself within a few matches.

it was,and still is, pie in the sky.

it isn't being skeptical or knocking whatever,its just being absolutely realistic.

maybe if TTA just reduced the all season tickets by say £30 would have got more bought.

rocky times ahead,folks spare cash is going to more important things-bills etc.

i'm not getting one.i always miss at least 4 home games each season anyway through hols,barca trips and lass working shifts/kids.so not buying one to some fans is a better option.

18 games x £18 advance ticket =£324

then theres some folk who either can't afford the total outlay,or don't want to be involved with a finance scheme.

I have mentioned this before that 4,500 tickets refunded at £70 each would cost the club £300,000 - where oh where would we get that sort of money from?

£308 x 3,500 = £1,078,000

£238 x 4,500 = £1,071,000

Cost = much the same.

£238 x 5,000 = £1,119,000

Income stream increased.

Has anyone at the club thought of building an open air stand on the broadway side (Blackpool) for away supporters. Look at the extra money it will raise - that will probably pay for itself within a few matches.
Which games would have needed this stand last season?

I don't think the club ever expected to sell 4,500, but wanted to be seen to be doing something.

I still urge those fans that are undecided about a season ticket to go for it. Get behind the team. You know you love it really. Something to cheer. Something to moan about. The chance to avoid Jeff Stelling's smug face when Hartlepool score.

Cash or cheque or finance at the ticket office

Credit or debit card online

Get in there and bring a mate.

Edited by opinions4u

I don't think the club ever expected to sell 4,500, but wanted to be seen to be doing something.

Precisely.

Therefore it wasn't a poorly thought out promotion but one that was put in place to demonstrate a desire to do something even if there's hardly any money to do it with!

And yes - people should show the faith unless their circumstances really are worse than when they bought a ST for this season.

I didn't imply that or mean it.

The club had a decent idea what demand there is for season tickets and probably got their estimates right.

I did mean it.

Right in what way when it's clear that the target is completely unrealistic under present circumstances?

Precisely.

Therefore it wasn't a poorly thought out promotion but one that was put in place to demonstrate a desire to do something even if there's hardly any money to do it with!

Hardly the actions of a club with a clear sense of direction.

Not knocking the scheme at all, glad the club is trying to sell as many season tickets as possible.

However, as i dont live in Oldham I was wondering what the club have done to promote the scheme as marketing often seems to be their downfall atm. They only seem to preach to the already converted (i.e people like us).

Not knocking the scheme at all, glad the club is trying to sell as many season tickets as possible.

However, as i dont live in Oldham I was wondering what the club have done to promote the scheme as marketing often seems to be their downfall atm. They only seem to preach to the already converted (i.e people like us).

And when Sean Jarvis, the one man who was supposed to be making progress at sorting this out leaves he is not replaced. Can anybody imagine something like this happening at the likes of Bolton, Preston, Blackburn or Burnley, or any of the other smalltown clubs that seem able to thrive while we struggle?

Always a toughie - how much does marketing cost v how much additional income will it generate.

Totally agree that the business needs a completely refreshed approach to marketing. No idea how to deliver that in a cost effective way though.

And when Sean Jarvis, the one man who was supposed to be making progress at sorting this out leaves he is not replaced. Can anybody imagine something like this happening at the likes of Bolton, Preston, Blackburn or Burnley, or any of the other smalltown clubs that seem able to thrive while we struggle?

It's more than a fair point.

Edited by opinions4u

It is a shame. I do sometimes wonder whether the owners may see marketing at Oldham on a larger scale as a waste of money, hence why no replacement. By that I mean, however much money you pump into it, its still likely to only be the hardcore that turn up. From experience, in my previous job I had many clients spunking money away on pointless marketing activities because they have been sucked in with various claims and buzzwords. However when done correctly it can be the key to a successful business. I would love to hear the owners thoughts on this area.

Always a toughie - how much does marketing cost v how much additional income will it generate.

Totally agree that the business needs a completely refreshed approach to marketing. No idea how to deliver that in a cost effective way though.

Oh without a doubt, its one of the reasons I feel we probably dont employ a marketing manager anymore because its more than likely money down the drain.

Its also very difficult to refresh the clubs image while we play at BP in its current state. A new ground would do wonders for Oldham Athletics image amongst the locals and the rest of the footballing world alike. Its a shame the project costs so much.