Lee Hughes - next move?

Agree that he probably won't come back to us. We are trying to move on from the players we had last season. Granted he scored goals but he came with so much baggage and an attitude to match that I just don't think he'd fit in with Penney's plans. Honest, hungry players with a good team spirit is what we require. Give them time to gel and we may have a good season.

It does seem a little early to tell, but I actually hope Hughes struggles a bit to get an offer, I think he believed his own hype

Hughes was a mercenary in the same vein as Wellens, and I'm not too sorry to see the back of him. That isn't meant as an insult - they both came in and played hard, did their best and showed their quality but their loyalty is to themselves. With Wellens that showed itself by choosing the money at Donny, for Hughes it meant that he played to score and build his value up.

I can't see that it is a coincidence that nobody scored up front alongside Lee Hughes. About 6 strikers tried and failed because (in part) he looked to be a difficult guy to play with; he never passed in the box and the lines he ran were all about scoring himself.

Again, that isn't entirely a bad thing because he backed it up with goals - but I do think that having seen it for a season we did the right thing. When a guy like that starts to bring baggage and a poor attitude to the club then you have to be realistic and cut your losses. We should be looking to replace Hughes with someone younger - and if Alessandra is going to play at all then they have to have pace too because he is the slowest player since Starbuck.

Can't say I've seen any evidence of that either (beyond the Taylor grab yonks ago).

I'd have him back in an instant.

my opinion hughsey and danny graham ,would be an ideal partnership up front,with taylor and deano chipping in the the goals from the wings, if only we lived in an ideal world lol.

my opinion hughsey and danny graham ,would be an ideal partnership up front,with taylor and deano chipping in the the goals from the wings, if only we lived in an ideal world lol.

Or in a dream world? :grin:

It's the obvious choice isn't it? Maybe Charlton or Norwich too? In a better team he'd have scored 25 last season.

I don't want him back. He was a significant part of the culture at Latics last year which cost Shez his job. If he came back Penney would have to be strict with him, and I doubt he'd like that too much.

I doubt he'd come back anyway to be honest.

Agree with that.

I also don't think that he would fit into, from what I've heard/read, what Penney's ideal strike pair would be. He scores goals but he's neither a big target man nor a nippy little striker is he?

Agree with that.

I also don't think that he would fit into, from what I've heard/read, what Penney's ideal strike pair would be. He scores goals but he's neither a big target man nor a nippy little striker is he?

Regrettably I think you are right. But I still think a short contract would be worth the gamble, say month to month so we can get rid if he is a pain or his attitude stinks.

Suppose he'll be heading back to Kidderminster though.

For Gregan, perhaps.

Think Hughes will play above League 2 next aseason though.

correct.... if gregan was to drop a division he would have the same impact has he did here in his first season when he dropped from the championship. after that first season, with due respect to his age, he would become less important imo