Lee Hughes - next move?

Saw the earlier topic about the other Hughesy and got to thinking where our old Hughesy will finish up.

It would appear that Blackpool don't want him and I wouldn't have thought there would be many takers in the Championship - Thirty odd year old has been with baggage - even though he still thinks of himself as a championship player.

So does anyone think we may be seeing him again next season - not with us - but for another team willing to take a chance on him - Walsall? perhaps.

Saw the earlier topic about the other Hughesy and got to thinking where our old Hughesy will finish up.

It would appear that Blackpool don't want him and I wouldn't have thought there would be many takers in the Championship - Thirty odd year old has been with baggage - even though he still thinks of himself as a championship player.

So does anyone think we may be seeing him again next season - not with us - but for another team willing to take a chance on him - Walsall? perhaps.

Despite his baggage he's comfortably good enough for the top of this division, perhaps a lower Championship team will gamble on him if he's willing to work for the right kind of money.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he is now begging to sign the deal we put on the table to him back in January. I don't think many clubs in our division will be willing to pay the wages he is demanding.

I talked to him in the gym 2 weeks ago, he was with Wolfy, I asked him what he was doing next season and he said I dont have anything yet, and added no one had shown interest in him yet either, so god knows where hes heading, I'd welcome him back here, when ever I have seen him in the gym or out and about he always comes across as a nice guy. It seems thats not the same in the dressing room though.

If he could get his head sorted and behave himself would love to have him back, a quality striker in this division. :grin:

will a leapord change his spots?

OOOR due to the belle vue incident..can you teach an old dog new tricks?

:grin:

will a leapord change his spots?

OOOR due to the belle vue incident..can you teach an old dog new tricks?

:grin:

I thinks its quite funny, cos like I said before, I dont think they will be queuing up for him. His head and ego has ruled his decision, I think he will regret not signing that contract with us. But we moved on, and he wont be offered owt with us. :grin:

I talked to him in the gym 2 weeks ago, he was with Wolfy, I asked him what he was doing next season and he said I dont have anything yet, and added no one had shown interest in him yet either, so god knows where hes heading, I'd welcome him back here, when ever I have seen him in the gym or out and about he always comes across as a nice guy. It seems thats not the same in the dressing room though.

I would not have him back, Moves away from us when we were still in a good chance of the play-offs and stuppost to be a billy big boots in the dressing room, and now no one is showing intested he is probably begging for latics to take him back, Latics took a big chance taking him on in the first place and got slated for it and oldham fans stuck by him every game singing "Hughesy, Hughesy" ,,,, W@nker

Edited by chris_oafc

I would not have him back, Moves away from us when we were still in a good chance of the play-offs and stuppost to be a billy big boots in the dressing room, and now no one is showing intested he is probably begging for latics to take him back, Latics took a big chance taking him on in the first place and got slated for it and oldham fans stuck by him every game singing "Hughesy, Hughesy" ,,,, W@nker

i would have him back ,hes quality in this league,his goals do the talking.

I would like to see him offered a short contract, month to month maybe.

He was offered a superb deal and turned it down. I defend his right to do so.

He's 33 and showed towards the end of last season that he wasn't quite up for it mentally or physically.

When fit and motivated he's a great player and great entertainment at this level.

But I think it's time for him to move on.

That way Dave Penney can see how it goes with him back in the squad. If he mucks up, he's gone at the end of his month.

If the rumours of "bad influence in the dressing room" are in any way true, then absolutely not.

If he behaves he can then be offered something longer. He probably wouldn't accept it though.

I doubt he'd accept month to month, even if nothnig comes along. Pride and all that.

I hope he gets fixed up and I hope he earns a bit less than he would have done had he signed his Latics deal that was offered in January.

I think we missed out on keeping a very expensive substitute on the books.

He was offered a superb deal and turned it down. I defend his right to do so.

He's 33 and showed towards the end of last season that he wasn't quite up for it mentally or physically.

When fit and motivated he's a great player and great entertainment at this level.

But I think it's time for him to move on.

If the rumours of "bad influence in the dressing room" are in any way true, then absolutely not.

I doubt he'd accept month to month, even if nothnig comes along. Pride and all that.

I hope he gets fixed up and I hope he earns a bit less than he would have done had he signed his Latics deal that was offered in January.

I think we missed out on keeping a very expensive substitute on the books.

Disagree...the man, to me at least, seemed to try his hardest and look interested but ultimately was given little help by his team-mates.

Edited by Yard Dog

Indeed. Leeds, maybe?

It's the obvious choice isn't it? Maybe Charlton or Norwich too? In a better team he'd have scored 25 last season.

I don't want him back. He was a significant part of the culture at Latics last year which cost Shez his job. If he came back Penney would have to be strict with him, and I doubt he'd like that too much.

I doubt he'd come back anyway to be honest.

It's the obvious choice isn't it? Maybe Charlton or Norwich too? In a better team he'd have scored 25 last season.

I don't want him back. He was a significant part of the culture at Latics last year which cost Shez his job. If he came back Penney would have to be strict with him, and I doubt he'd like that too much.

I doubt he'd come back anyway to be honest.

Agree that he probably won't come back to us. We are trying to move on from the players we had last season. Granted he scored goals but he came with so much baggage and an attitude to match that I just don't think he'd fit in with Penney's plans. Honest, hungry players with a good team spirit is what we require. Give them time to gel and we may have a good season.