Political unrest in Iran

Matt

If you can forgive me skipping over the political situation, which is being well documented in the mainstream media, this incident has shown the power of the Internet to an extent I never thought possible, and new media in particular.

Twitter has become a driving force for the masses in Iran to communicate both internally and with the outside world. So much so that they stopped the planned Twitter downtime last night to keep the communication lines open. To the extent that the Iranian secret police are now monitoring it.

It's astounding.

There are many breaking through Iran's firewalls and heightened security to get this information out, and to get information in as well. Their local sources of information are "untrustworthy".

Exactly, and with Twitter accessible from so many different sources it's practically unblockable (you can simply text them) and is proving vital to their cause.

Mousavi isn't much more liberal than Ahmadinejad but has to be better than that loony. Funny how the Iranians stage this protest yet after a large amount of unrest in Britain with our mps and system we just carry on regardless.

Actually people have gone out and rallied in similar circumstances. Chartism and later the Suffragette movement spring to mind.

Exactly, to compare our current situation to theirs is quite ludicrous in my opinion.

Granted a direct comparison isn't correct but what would it take to get the people of Britain on the streets?

Police killing innocent civilians

Near collapse in economic system

Fascists winning at a local and european level

Cabinet disintegrating

Rising fuel prices

Granted a direct comparison isn't correct but what would it take to get the people of Britain on the streets?

Police killing innocent civilians

Near collapse in economic system

Fascists winning at a local and european level

Cabinet disintegrating

Rising fuel prices

I would think it would be a last resort option in most cases and in the UK we have far more options to exhaust first. Though the fuel strikes of Sept 2000 were quite significant in some parts of the country.

I would think it would be a last resort option in most cases and in the UK we have far more options to exhaust first. Though the fuel strikes of Sept 2000 were quite significant in some parts of the country.

Wait until BT gets to power and sets up a Ministry of Electronic Goods Production to make them according to his ideals. The masses will be torching Downing Street when they realise they have to join a 5 year waiting list to get a crappy black and white model out of 1970s Bulgaria.

http://twitter.com/change_for_iran

footage as soon as somebody from the protest gets home! there is no mobile/wireless internet connection right now

not only that they attacked us, now they are hiding the bodies of those we lost! I will kill ahmadynezhad myself!

there is no need to hide their names anymore Mobina Ehtrami, Fateme Borati, Kasra Sharafi, Kambiz Shoaee & Mohsen Imani; all killed by ansar

Wait until BT gets to power and sets up a Ministry of Electronic Goods Production to make them according to his ideals. The masses will be torching Downing Street when they realise they have to join a 5 year waiting list to get a crappy black and white model out of 1970s Bulgaria.

Which will still be working long after most plasma and lcd tvs have long packed in.

Which will still be working long after most plasma and lcd tvs have long packed in.

According to your Commissar of Reliability Statistics... With a decade in the salt mines for anyone who differs...

Conveniently, my TV is about 5 years old. It would have been £800 on the market (£200 to me what with working for Philips at the time) and had won the EISA TV of the Year award (the generally accepted prestige industry thing). 28 inch, CRT with what was then the best picture technology in the world (Pixel Plus, a sort of synthetic HD). Now for the same money I could have a 32 inch LCD or Plasma HD screen. And if it broke, I could take the other one I bought in budget out of my bedroom and put it in the front. That, my friend, is the wonder of the market system.

The InfoWar continues: Propaganda sites appearing all over the internet, and counter-DDOS attacks on propaganda sites closing them down as soon as they are identified. Photoshopped Ahmendinajad rally:

Keyhan-ehtics.jpg

TBH, I'm skeptical of this video after watching it a few times. I think it may be anti-government propaganda. I'm not saying the wounded can't move their limbs, and she looks non compos mentis but she manages to move her left leg into a better position about 0:07...

According to the BBC (I think) the police have begun shooting almost indiscriminantly into the crowds. This is getting very very ugly now. The UN may have to step in.

It's scary to think that we could be witnessing another Tiananmen square travesty twenty years on.

http://www.fark.com/

As more and more sites are blocked by the Iranian government (Google/Gmail, Yahoo/Ymail, all HTTPS sites et al) and the worlds press are locked away in their hotels pending deportation the above Fark website has become a conduit for getting Iran's news out. I'd meant to post this earlier in the week but it slipped my mind.

Search/Scroll for posts with Iran in the title, no duh!, and they will usually contain first had log's of events.

Isn't the real question why are they doing this (the clerics)?

The odds are the current incumbant won the election anyway. So what is their aim in upping the numbers. Is it, in the long run, to slightly westerise their country or stamp down China-styee on the younger generation.

Personally, with the massive younger generation outnumbering all the other folk I think they may be looking to remain in charge with some middle ground. I guess we'll find out. Whatever is happening, this is thought out by them up top and not just some reactionalism (if that is even a word).