Who do you fancy for promo this season?

Christ, the close season is boring, especially when you don't have any plans for a summer holiday (unlike our transfer targets!).

So, now that a couple of teams have started to make noises (quiet ones I know) in the transfer market, which teams do you think will take the 3 promotion places this season?

In no particular order, I'm going for: -

Leeds (coz they're massif)

Norwich (decent budget and Delia)

Colchester (they're splashing the cash again)

I don't expect the 3 promoted teams to set the division on fire.

Southampton may have a chance should their takeover run smoothly, but they've got a possible points deduction to contend with.

Huddersfield are spending big but I just don't see them doing enough to truly challenge.

I can see Millwall and MK Dongs hanging around the place-offs but no more.

Tranmere and their dream team? You're havin' a laugh!

As for Latics, my heart says play-offs but my head says 8th-10th. Not too shabby for a season of transition (aren't they all?!).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1- charlton- seems like they havnt lost a lot of their players- i think they have better chance than norwich

2- huddersfield- got some quality players in and likely to add more

3- leeds- just because they will alwyas finish in top 6

4- norwich- will battle it out

5- colchester or southend

6- saints- will make up ground

21- latics- will struggle with a league 2 team

22 exeter

23 brentford

24- yeovil

1- charlton- seems like they havnt lost a lot of their players- i think they have better chance than norwich

22 exeter

23 brentford

24- yeovil

??? Really? get a grip

22 exeter

23 brentford

24- yeovil

league 2 team? dont really see which squad of players you've been looking at. not convinced we'll be play-off contenders but mid table at least, will see which other players penney brings in

I think it will be close this season between Charlton and Norwich for the top two places, i think Huddersfield, Leeds, MK dons and ourselves will battle it out in the play offs

I can see Norwich being right up there, no doubt. Not as sure on Charlton myself.

In the prem West Brom liked to play with flair yet Stoke played with endeavour, who was the most satisfied at the end of the season.

Fair point, but Latics sides generally tend to do better when they play good football.

(Again, to be fair, I wouldn't judge DP's side before a ball is kicked-I'm just going off the talk of 'hungry players' and low-budget signings.)

22 exeter

23 brentford

24- yeovil

Utter nonsense Dean! :ranting:

There's absolutely no way Brentford will finish that low. :shock:

exactly who would be happy with a mid table finish id rather battle relegation

Must say i've never hoped for a relegation battle ever.

Given all the changes that have happened this summer, Mid Table would for me be a success.

I can see Norwich being right up there, no doubt. Not as sure on Charlton myself.

Yeah, I'd go with that.

Norwich (picking up players like Nelson seems like they are going the right way), MK (let's face it, they were comfortably the best team we played last season) and one of someone like Colchester, Millwall or Leeds.

Opposite end. Hmm. Brentford don't seem to me to have anything special. Hartlepool, Orient and Southampton* (or Yeovil).

Us. Mid-table obscurity. Nigh on safe from both ends by Christmas.

*I have no idea how they will perform with a team of kids and rejects as they will surely have after coming out of administration. Oh and -25 points. So they'll have to get about 70 points to avoid relegation. If they come out of administration that is.

A mid-table finish will see yet more fans drift away, and seal our fate as an eternal lower divison club. Stagnation upon stagnation.

Are you and Dean father and son, please tell me your just fishing because there is a massive amount of negativity coming from you two, most people like myself are looking forward to the new season starting if you dislike it that much why dont you drift away :wink:

A mid-table finish will see yet more fans drift away, and seal our fate as an eternal lower divison club. Stagnation upon stagnation.

Corporal, dont you think that fate has always been sealed though? We have on the whole always been a lower division club havent we? Then in the late 80s and early 90s we had a sustained period of success out of the blue. That was probably our chance to build the clubs stature but it wasnt taken and now we have drifted back down to where we have usually always resided.

I was only a kid at the height of Oldhams success, I did used to think we were a big club because my first games at BP were at the highest level, with big attendances. Slowly though as we have slipped back down to the lower tiers I have come to realise that the successful period was probably the blip and that this is the norm!

Are you and Dean father and son, please tell me your just fishing because there is a massive amount of negativity coming from you two, most people like myself are looking forward to the new season starting if you dislike it that much why dont you drift away :wink:

So you're looking forward to it. Good. It's a good job some people are.

Forgive me for thinking we've heard it all before, though. Can't think what's got me thinking like this.

Corporal, dont you think that fate has always been sealed though? We have on the whole always been a lower division club havent we? Then in the late 80s and early 90s we had a sustained period of success out of the blue. That was probably our chance to build the clubs stature but it wasnt taken and now we have drifted back down to where we have usually always resided.

I was only a kid at the height of Oldhams success, I did used to think we were a big club because my first games at BP were at the highest level, with big attendances. Slowly though as we have slipped back down to the lower tiers I have come to realise that the successful period was probably the blip and that this is the norm!

Where is it written down that just because you were a lower division club way back when, you have to be content to be one forever? The idea is that you try to build on your success. I don't think we would have stayed in the PL for good, but if our moment in the sun had been handled correctly we wouldn't have had to slip into the abject state we're in now. The pathetic Oldham loser mentality has seen us overtaken by clubs from similar towns who when we were riding high were languishing in the lower divisions in dilapidated grounds. Now they're laughing at us. They're not where they are because they were bigger than us in 1930, or whenever; they're there because they've been better-run and more ambitious than us at a time when it mattered.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

22 exeter

23 brentford

24- yeovil

1-Norwich

2-Colchester

3-Huddersfield

Latics Mid-table :ranting:

Where is it written down that just because you were a lower division club way back when, you have to be content to be one forever? The idea is that you try to build on your success. I don't think we would have stayed in the PL for good, but if our moment in the sun had been handled correctly we wouldn't have had to slip into the abject state we're in now. The pathetic Oldham loser mentality has seen us overtaken by clubs from similar towns who when we were riding high were languishing in the lower divisions in dilapidated grounds. Now they're laughing at us. They're not where they are because they were bigger than us in 1930, or whenever; they're there because they've been better-run and more ambitious than us at a time when it mattered.

I agree with a lot of what you say, I think I was trying to emphasise the point that we have probably already missed the boat, with our second chance coming in the Dowie season where we just missed out.

I understand that you feel the club is stagnating. I think it is a viewpoint shared by many other fans. However I am never sure with your posts if your venting your frustrations at how the club has been run in the last 15 - 20 years or so, or if your gripe is with how the club is operating in the present.

Do you still think we could achieve success now if the club was better run or more ambitious? Surely in this day and age in order to guarantee success this would refer to someone ploughing money into the club? Is that what you are advocating in all of your posts? A change of ownership?

For what its worth I dont think the problem is really with the football club. There are owners in place who are sensibly trying to develop and fund success without plunging it further and further into debt. They are however not getting the support from the town itself. It seems not many people in Oldham actually support Oldham or are prepared to show this support by coming down to BP. And with that in mind maybe people need to realise that maybe Oldham Athletic is after all a small club.

Anybody at this moment in time who believes we are capable of achieving the playoffs, let alone automatic promotion, is living in dreamland. We have a set of players made up from League 2 and lower League 1 players at best. AND we only have 16-17 players on professional terms. We may not have finished with the signings yet, but Pawel Abbott or Billy Clarke isnt going to make an iota of difference. Signing players like that will probably demand a half decent wage for mediocre performances. We would be better invested in the youth team, least that way, the young stars coming through will take us out of League 2 when we eventually drop there.

The only way I see this changing is if we add some real quality, but with other teams in our league already snapping up the best of the players, while we wait for players on holiday who will probably back out anyway, we are going to be miles behind the top 12-14 teams. The best we can hope for is a relegation battle I feel, at least that way it keeps the season interested, unlike last seasons end.