Latics Sign Gregan Back

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He also played crap for large parts of the season before when Gregan was injured.

Im sure Eardley gives it out aswel he's not this shy type of player like lomax who never says a word to anyone. I dont know why people seem to think Eardley is affected so much by this.

It's not only Eardley, I think Gregan had a detrimental effect on other players. I.e. Crossley, Hazell, Golbourne, Jones, Fleming. I don't think the defence plays as a unit with him in the side.

It's not only Eardley, I think Gregan had a detrimental effect on other players. I.e. Crossley, Hazell, Golbourne, Jones, Fleming. I don't think the defence plays as a unit with him in the side.

Well maybe they all need to grow a set then, because all the players you just mentioned there with the exception of Crossley need that type of player around them. Someone who will shout when they have too and organise the defence because most of them seem to polite an nice. I look at it the other way and say that our problem was a lack of shouting and talking with each other last season which is why we had so many mix ups in defence which led to tons of mistakes and ultimatly goals.

Well maybe they all need to grow a set then, because all the players you just mentioned there with the exception of Crossley need that type of player around them. Someone who will shout when they have too and organise the defence because most of them seem to polite an nice. I look at it the other way and say that our problem was a lack of shouting and talking with each other last season which is why we had so many mix ups in defence which led to tons of mistakes and ultimatly goals.

The lardarse git played 38 games and we shipped in 65 goals. Fat lot of good his shouting did.

I firmly believe that he does not enhance the defence. He is too slow. His shouting unsettles his team mates because he apportions blame for his mistakes. He clearly doesn't organise the defence.

Nope, big mistake bringing him back.

The lardarse git played 38 games and we shipped in 65 goals. Fat lot of good his shouting did.

I firmly believe that he does not enhance the defence. He is too slow. His shouting unsettles his team mates because he apportions blame for his mistakes. He clearly doesn't organise the defence.

Nope, big mistake bringing him back.

Fair enough thats your opinion but give me the 35 year old fatty any day over the likes of Hazzell who was our major weak link in that defence from xmas onwards. I just don't think that because someones 'feelings were hurt because some big bully shouted at me today' contributed to our downfall last season. Too many other factors to blame it on one player or reason.

exactly

we need leaders on the pitch. great signing, well done dave penney

Edited by erniecooksey4

Fair enough thats your opinion but give me the 35 year old fatty any day over the likes of Hazzell who was our major weak link in that defence from xmas onwards. I just don't think that because someones 'feelings were hurt because some big bully shouted at me today' contributed to our downfall last season. Too many other factors to blame it on one player or reason.

As you are entitled to your opinion. I disagree that Hazell was our weak link. He made a number of mistakes, but the guy covered a lot of ground making up for Gregan's lack of mobility and why did the fans vote Hazell Player of the Season.

So, please enlighten me, what does Gregan bring to the team? And don't say shouting, because we've already established that didn't do anything last season.

So, please enlighten me, what does Gregan bring to the team? And don't say shouting, because we've already established that didn't do anything last season.

1) Someone who bullies, in a very genuine and immediate way, opposition players.

2) Amongst the best ball players we have had at the club in the last decade.

3) Experienced at gaining promotion through two divisions

4) Captain whilst above

5) Regular MOM over recent seasons

6) Has genuine desire to achieve and fight for the team

Could you name A N Other who you want us to sign so that we can go after this better option who we could get for a reasonable wage? Because until you do, we are stuck with the guy who many neutral observers seem to think is top class.

1) Someone who bullies, in a very genuine and immediate way, opposition players. UNLESS THEY ARE BIG LIKE STEVE HOWARD OR MICHAEL RICKETTS.

2) Amongst the best ball players we have had at the club in the last decade. I CAN THINK OF PLENTY WHO ARE BETTER

3) Experienced at gaining promotion through two divisions. HISTORY - IRRELEVENT.

4) Captain whilst above. SAME AS 3

5) Regular MOM over recent seasons, AS VOTED BY A 100 FANS - MEANINGLESS AND NOT A RESOUNDING ENDORSEMENT

6) Has genuine desire to achieve and fight for the team - CAN'T ARGUE THAT POINT BUT DESIRE DOES NOT COMPENSATE FOR BEING SLOW, OVERWEIGHT AND A LIABILITY

Could you name A N Other who you want us to sign so that we can go after this better option who we could get for a reasonable wage? Because until you do, we are stuck with the guy who many neutral observers seem to think is top class.

And then you look at the goals against column and you realise that the points you make don't really hold water. Do you honestly think our defence will be stronger next season?

Was easily the best passer out of our defence last season (and better than most of our midfielders in the second half of the season), doesn't sh*t out of hard tackles,makes up for his lack of pace with his ability to read the game. i thought we'd really struggle to replace him next season so i couldn't be happier that he's back, not least because of the prospect of him taking the piss out of the Leeds fans again next year. i don't supposed the "circumstances" allowing us to offer him a new contract involve Leeds paying his wages again do they? Is that asking too much?

If ever there were a reason I despair with our support, this is a classic example...I can't believe how easily the majority have forgotten what went on last season. Or how instrumental a handful of peoples actions on and off the field were to the club and on the field events. Gregan was very much one of these!!!

Penney with his "young, hungry players"...how desperate we've become...a new era at Latics or a return to last seasons status-quo with an all-action, 35yr-old returning pisshead that the manager was happy to sling out the door. A player who at times reminded me on the occassion of Guy Branston (Yeovil at home, Chelts away...several others....)....we really have finally held our hands up and said "we ain't going to be pushing at the top, but let's at least try and make sure we stay in this division!" Well...that is if we forget last season that a couple of newly promoted teams stuck 5 and 6 goals past us in the odd game or two.

Nothing rings truer than the following from April 12th....

Think this leads nicely back to comments the other night...whereby we've given plaudits to this back line yet we've still leaked some horrible goals this season and never once looked tight at the back. Not sure what the answer is but I left that Tranmere game feeling maybe we need to rip out the back line and start again. I hope it's merely more to do with "The Unit" and Royle gets them playing as one coz this season, they've been far, far, far from a good, solid, unit and more like decent individuals who've done nothing but cover for each others mistakes. That back line needs to not make those mistakes in the first place...easy to say, but it's my biggest concern going into the new season coz like you say...those 3 will most likely make up the majority of the 4 next season.

I keep reading how Gregan would walk into most Lge One team...funny that...I thought we were trying to get players who might in the future make the step up into Championship teams....young ones....gambles on the unknown if you like...NOTHING IS UNKNOWN ABOUT GREGAN!!!....We really we have sold out in all honesty!

We're welcoming back one of the several reasons last season went down like the Titanic...not solely culpable but after Hartlepool away until Huddersfield away we had a severe liability at this club. But hey....let's forget that....what's 4 months of a season to be an unreliable, very costly player? Yeah, let's forget it coz he wins a few headers and has a swagger! Gregan showed some improvement as he played for a new contract but we needed a change. A big one. Penney was ready to do it. To rid that dressing room of bad air...which Gregan was part of (ask some of the kids or his fellow defenders)...and now we do this!

Penney better have his balls in a vice on his return and warn him that his bullying, blamelessness and boozing are a thing of the past. Or else you guys will see Branston Mark II and will really have this post rammed down your throats as we battle for our lives at the wrong end!

Edited by boundaryblue80

If ever there were a reason I despair with our support, this is a classic example...I can't believe how easily the majority have forgotten what went on last season. Or how instrumental a handful of peoples actions on and off the field were to the club and on the field events. Penney with his "young, hungry players"...how desperate we've become...a new era at Latics or a return to last seasons status-quo with an all-action, 35yr-old returning pisshead that the manager was happy to sling out the door. A player who at times reminded me on the occassion of Guy Branston (Yeovil at home, Chelts away...several others....)....we really have finally held our hands up and said "we ain't going to be pushing at the top, but let's at least try and make sure we stay in this division!" Well...that is if we forget last season that a couple of newly promoted teams stuck 5 and 6 goals past us in the odd game or two.

We're welcoming back one of the several reasons last season went down like the Titanic...not solely culpable but after Hartlepool away until Huddersfield away we had a severe liability at this club. But hey....let's forget that....coz he wins a few headers and has a swagger! Penney better have his balls in a vice on his return and warn him that his bullying, blamelessness and boozing are a thing of the past. Or else!

u dont rate him then

Just as I started to drop my, some say negative, outlook on Latics this comes about. A Terrible move, no doubt he's on a vastly reduced wage but then again he was a fast declining player last season and isn't going to get better.

So bar JJ we're looking at the same leaky defence that whimpered along last season.

Yeah because the goals we conceded had absolutely nothing to do with our inability to keep the ball and maintain pressure on the opposition, or a lightweight midfield that clearly struggled for the best part of the season. We also aren't carrying Jones who although a very good attacking full back, was often a liability when it came to defending.

A couple of points -

- Some of us feel that 1% is way off the mark and that his bad points outweigh his good.

- Don't worry about him playing for anyone else at this level, no other club was daft enough to sign him. Speaks volumes.

- And Eardley played crap for large parts of the season - next to Gregan.

1. The moaners always make far more noise than those that are supporting the players.

2. How do you know this?

3. Eardley also played very well next to gregan the season before last and towards the end of last season. Like i've said more times than I can possibly remember the reasons for Eardley appearing to be off his game have little to do with the defence he was playing in and more to do with what was ahead of him and the football we were playing as a team.

I was disappointed when Greegs left, but had been won round to this idea of building a youthful hungry side. Thus his return has not been met with the greatest of enthusiasm from myself. He's a good player (on his day), but something had to change to mark a change from last year's defence. Someone had to be thrown out IMO to respark it into life.

EARDLEY GREGAN HAZELL JONES

EARDLEY GREGAN HAZELL JACOBSON

Hardly an impressive change...I don't think if we'd brought JJ in at some point last season it would have brought about a marked improvement in the defensive record.

That said, with the budget cuts and loss of a top class goalscorer on a pittence, I wasn't expecting any sort of promotion challenge this year. The same old same old at the back will do for a side destined for mid-table...that back four won't get us relegated but it's hardly going to give forwards nightmares.

If ever there were a reason I despair with our support, this is a classic example...I can't believe how easily the majority have forgotten what went on last season. Or how instrumental a handful of peoples actions on and off the field were to the club and on the field events. Gregan was very much one of these!!!

Penney with his "young, hungry players"...how desperate we've become...a new era at Latics or a return to last seasons status-quo with an all-action, 35yr-old returning pisshead that the manager was happy to sling out the door. A player who at times reminded me on the occassion of Guy Branston (Yeovil at home, Chelts away...several others....)....we really have finally held our hands up and said "we ain't going to be pushing at the top, but let's at least try and make sure we stay in this division!" Well...that is if we forget last season that a couple of newly promoted teams stuck 5 and 6 goals past us in the odd game or two.

I keep reading how Gregan would walk into most Lge One team...funny that...I thought we were trying to get players who might in the future make the step up into Championship teams....young ones....gambles on the unknown if you like...NOTHING IS UNKNOWN ABOUT GREGAN!!!....We really we have sold out in all honesty!

We're welcoming back one of the several reasons last season went down like the Titanic...not solely culpable but after Hartlepool away until Huddersfield away we had a severe liability at this club. But hey....let's forget that....what's 4 months of a season to be an unreliable, very costly player? Yeah, let's forget it coz he wins a few headers and has a swagger! Gregan showed some improvement as he played for a new contract but we needed a change. A big one. Penney was ready to do it. To rid that dressing room of bad air...which Gregan was part of (ask some of the kids or his fellow defenders)...and now we do this!

Penney better have his balls in a vice on his return and warn him that his bullying, blamelessness and boozing are a thing of the past. Or else you guys will see Branston Mark II and will really have this post rammed down your throats as we battle for our lives at the wrong end!

BB80 I agree with the vast majority of your views on here but on this I have to disagree. I don't live in oldham and don't know many Oldham fans personally so I have to admit I don't know all that goes on behind the scenes, but the way I see it is that if Gregan's ego can be kept in check we could be on to a real winner.

Gregan lost form badly last season when he had problems off the field but it seems that is now behind him. We saw towards the end of the season that he still has what it takes to be one of the best centre backs in this division (whether that was purely playing for a contract extension I don't know), but it shows that he can still do it if he's kept motivated. Unfortunately by then any chance of promotion had gone but I don't think he can be solely blamed for our capitulation. There were so many factors as have been discussed on here over and over again. One thing I would say about the problems he caused amongst the other players, it may have been greatly influenced by Lee Hughes and a clashing of egos, something that Sheridan never managed to get to grips with in any shape or form. With Hughes gone we may see a Sean Gregan that is much more settled and with proper man management from a guy who seems like he doesn't take any :censored:, we just might see the best of Greegs.

With regards to the onfield disputes and some of the players not being happy about his 'bullying', I seriously think some of them need to man up! Jesus Christ, you have to take a look at yourself when you're a grown man complaining about being bullied, get some balls and give some back. Gregan isn't perefect, he blames people for his mistakes, but a lot of the time he is damn right to dish out the bollockings as a lack of concentration was consistent amongst all our defenders last season. Often people saw Gregan get caught out making up for others mistakes such as players not holding the defensive line (something I noticed time and again last year, particularly Jones, Golbourne and Rubes) or the ball being lost cheaply in midfield (again!). So I think quite often the times when he appeared to be passing the blame to others, he was damn right to do so. Of course there were times when he just did it when it was clearly his fault though and that's something that needs cutting out. I really hope he has come back with a different attitude and that DP can keep him in line.

I don't think Gregan is inherently bad for team spirit, it doesn't seem to have particlualry been a problem at other clubs. How many sides has he captained to promotion in his time? Twice with PNE wasn't it? Was he captain at WBA when they got to the PL? I don't think those teams would have managed the successes they did if there was constant in fighting due to their captain. I think much of the problems last season can be attributed to how Shez managed them and hopefully next season we can now get teh best out of our players with someone in charge who really knows how to keep them in check. I love Shez for what he did here as a player and we had some good times under him as a manger as well but in all honesty, his man management skills were truly abysmal. Just by keeping Gregan doesn't mean we are still the smae old Latics that we were under Shez, a huge amount is down to DP, time will tell on this one.

Edited by LeylandLatic

I couldn't believe it when I got told about this signing, made me feel quite confused, bits of me were for it, and bits against.

But thinking about it, we've obviously got him on reduced terms and a reduced waistline so why not? Penney hasn't said he's a guarenteed starter yet, but whether he is or not, I think he's an asset for telling it like it is to other players (or "bullying the younger players" when at at 35...only Crossley an Windass were older than him so that's kind of a wasted point) as if noone tells you you've made a mistake, how do you learn from them.

Think with the signing of Worthington the defence won't be as exposed as many times as it was so many times last season so the pressure will be off them in a way, because his game reading is almost second to none, so the (hopefully) few times the midfield is broken, they will already be onto it and have decided on the best way to sort it.

Just hoping on us getting a creative midfielder and somone who not only knows where the net is, but can find it with the ball

Edited by bensonio

3. Eardley also played very well next to gregan the season before last and towards the end of last season. Like i've said more times than I can possibly remember the reasons for Eardley appearing to be off his game have little to do with the defence he was playing in and more to do with what was ahead of him and the football we were playing as a team.

Eardley had an excellent 2007/08 season, but it wasn't with Gregan at his side who only turned out 15 times. The stats for that season, which I have mentioned on more than one occasion on here, show that Gregan in the defence was leakier than with any other centre-back combination.

Thought for the day: Gregan is the new Stam and could well be a bench warmer next season.

Depends who else we sign I suppose.

I hope he isn't and that Hazzell will be warming the bench for the most of it. Rubes started off his time with us superbly but im guessing the form of the last 4 or 5 months was the form he has shown through out his career. hopefully he can find his best again bút i'm not holdng my breath.

Eardley had an excellent 2007/08 season, but it wasn't with Gregan at his side who only turned out 15 times. The stats for that season, which I have mentioned on more than one occasion on here, show that Gregan in the defence was leakier than with any other centre-back combination.

2007/08 was when the moaners started getting on his back so maybe that has more to do with it that Gregan. Also Neal only really looked good that season once he had moved into midfeild (which i still maintain is his best posistion).

Like has already been said the whole team last year was shocking and every player was at fault for their fair share of errors so to blame it on one player for shouting is laughable by all accounts.

2007/08 was when the moaners started getting on his back so maybe that has more to do with it that Gregan. Also Neal only really looked good that season once he had moved into midfeild (which i still maintain is his best posistion).

Ridiculous. Eardley was arguably our best player in 2007/2008.

BB80's post was spot on. I can't see anything positive about this move.