Latics Sign Gregan Back

If you thik it is directed at you...you maybe need to go back and read my post (more carefully as well?)

I name no names...just one side of the argument that I'm not on, but if you think the cap fits...wear it :wink:

An what are you getting at by putting how long you have followed the team? It's not my fault my parents didn't get it on before yours, but it doesn't mean my opinion is less valid or not allowed.

Also if you read my earlier post, I'm happy bout him signing...the post was aimed at the people who expect world beaters to sign for us...

As your post was written as a reply linked to my previous post with my post quoted above yours, I think it was reasonable of me to think that your post was directed at me or surely you would have named the person you were indeed directing it at.

You said to stop whinging (but named no other poster) but if you read any of my posts on the thread or indeed the whole thread completely (and more carefully) you will see that there was no whinging from me.

All I do is turn up and support the team every week.

Your post really does sum up many posters on here who read one post (not the whole thread) and then start ranting about supporting the team and not whinging.

Its one of the reasons I spend less time on this messageboard.

Often it is necessary to read more than a single post to see the wider context in which that post is written.

In putting how long I had supported the team, (you said support the team) I was emphasising that I was supporting the team as I always do and have done for that length of time.

Your original post was very wrong on every count to say I was either whinging or not supporting the team. :wink:

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And who are you to argue with the neutral opinion of Ronald Moore????

not arguing mate just asking a question thats all,jesus.the same ronnie moore that gets ridiculed at every opportunity on here and when we played the trannies,he must be a football genius then.

Fantastic news, this Dave Penney really does seem to know what he's doing.

Thats made my day and Stitch KTF's as well I'll bet.

This news will undoubtedly annoy one or two on here, but good thats fine by me. :lol:

*awaits impending outburst of elation from Stitch_KTF*

:banana2::banana3::banana2::banana3::banana2::banana3::banana2::banana3:

Just woke up - I fainted when I heard the news.

:dance:

:tongue1:

Without trying to be patronising (and probably failing) it must look good from over there in Oz! I personally fail to see how virtually the same defence, which in essence, fell way off anyway near the playoffs in the end will magically get close whatsoever this time around. The approx 35 league games I saw last season must've been a figment of my imagination in how bad and culpable it could be...either that or I'm missing out on the Oz sunshine which clearly gives a sunny side up look at the following season with this very similar defence.

Do you really believe though that defending is only the job of the defence? IMO the ghosts making up our midfield last season (or Shez for buying/picking them) should take a lot of the blame for our poor defending and our poor form. They were incapable of putting in a tackle and incapable of keeping hold of the ball which led to our defence coming under immense pressure week in week out.

Do you really believe though that defending is only the job of the defence? IMO the ghosts making up our midfield last season (or Shez for buying/picking them) should take a lot of the blame for our poor defending and our poor form. They were incapable of putting in a tackle and incapable of keeping hold of the ball which led to our defence coming under immense pressure week in week out.

If it was just about the ability of defending with Gregan, I wouldn't be as opposed...it's the whole package! Like "allegedly" buying tits for staff, alleged D&D and etc etc. I don't think people are quite getting my point. On his day...which sadly only happens against the bigger boys in the bigger games, he's a quality player. It's the baggage that's the problem I have! And Penney will have a job on to keep it in check. Fair play to both Penney and Greegs if both manage to do so...as I say...if not...we know where we'll be come the back stretch!

As your post was written as a reply linked to my previous post with my post quoted above yours, I think it was reasonable of me to think that your post was directed at me or surely you would have named the person you were indeed directing it at.

You said to stop whinging (but named no other poster) but if you read any of my posts on the thread or indeed the whole thread completely (and more carefully) you will see that there was no whinging from me.

All I do is turn up and support the team every week.

Your post really does sum up many posters on here who read one post (not the whole thread) and then start ranting about supporting the team and not whinging.

Its one of the reasons I spend less time on this messageboard.

Often it is necessary to read more than a single post to see the wider context in which that post is written.

In putting how long I had supported the team, (you said support the team) I was emphasising that I was supporting the team as I always do and have done for that length of time.

Your original post was very wrong on every count to say I was either whinging or not supporting the team. :wink:

Aaaah I get you now, I honrestly didn't mean to insult you with my original quoting, I was aiming it at the people who think we can compete with rich clubs for players signitures. Your original post that I quoted

"Damn it, we are also going to need some players to cover Hazell, Eardley and probably Jacobsen's weaknesses as well.

When will it ever end?"

I was just taking it a step further as to where it may end...as to me it seems people are expecting us to sign players who are completely faultless...which won't happen with our supprt, as we can't compete financially once a well backed club (Udders, MK etc) come in too, so why don't we write the afore mentioned letter and if they allow us to do it, the 'whingers' might be happy with us signing players who have weaknesses as footballers as we'll have sufficiant cover on the pitch

:grin:

I was just taking it a step further as to where it may end...as to me it seems people are expecting us to sign players who are completely faultless...which won't happen with our supprt, as we can't compete financially once a well backed club (Udders, MK etc) come in too, so why don't we write the afore mentioned letter and if they allow us to do it, the 'whingers' might be happy with us signing players who have weaknesses as footballers as we'll have sufficiant cover on the pitch

I suspect that I might be one of the people who this might be aimed at.

My point, and one that I still stand by, is that we need a defence that works together. Something that we don't get when the "division's best defender :lol: " plays. And something that money doesn't always buy.

Anyway, how come some of you lot think he's the divisions best defender when:

1) Hazell got the player of the year of award?

2) He didn't get mentioned in PFA team of the season?

Specsavers must do a great line in rose-tinted bins in Oldham.

Edited by mikejh45

Maybe he was a bit of BBB last season, bragger of being highest earner, experience, Royle speaking highly of him etc thought he was guarenteed contract offer then getting released an not having cluibs queing for him put him on a diet of humble pie.

If this is what it took to get him focused on his fitness, in better shape, which THEN resulted in DP liking what he saw (on top of him already liking him but releasing him for financial reasons) offered the latest deal, which he took for less than he was on, then surely its a good deal for everyone?

I'm not saying our defence is fully sorted at all...but think with other players in that position being brought in in the future, Gregan can be good for improving competition between them.

Not saying he's in my first 11, as we've to see who comes in.

If it was just about the ability of defending with Gregan, I wouldn't be as opposed...it's the whole package! Like "allegedly" buying tits for staff, alleged D&D and etc etc. I don't think people are quite getting my point. On his day...which sadly only happens against the bigger boys in the bigger games, he's a quality player. It's the baggage that's the problem I have! And Penney will have a job on to keep it in check. Fair play to both Penney and Greegs if both manage to do so...as I say...if not...we know where we'll be come the back stretch!

Buying tits? Allegedly? Can someone enlighten me please?

Aaaah I get you now, I honrestly didn't mean to insult you with my original quoting, I was aiming it at the people who think we can compete with rich clubs for players signitures. Your original post that I quoted

"Damn it, we are also going to need some players to cover Hazell, Eardley and probably Jacobsen's weaknesses as well.

When will it ever end?"

Fair do's, I agree with the points you make btw.

:ktf:

My point, and one that I still stand by, is that we need a defence that works together. Something that we don't get when the "division's best defender :lol: " plays. And something that money doesn't always buy.

To be fair, I've never said (or thought) Gregan is the best defender in the league (but I know some have).

I've just defended him against what I consider to be some unfair criticism.

He's not perfect and does (as do all defenders at our level) have his weaknesses, but he also has is strengths and I feel we could do a good deal worse than him in the centre of defence next season, so on that score I'm glad he's back.

Anyway you will always have your opinion and I will always have mine regarding Gregan and I guess we'll never agree, but thats football debate and messageboards I guess.

Anyway we do agree on something. :comeon::latics::ktf:

According to most Oldham fans one of our worst players made that team :wink:

According to most Oldham fans one of our worst players made that team :wink:

This could be a strand of a new thread/argument:

But if some stories are to be believed and there significant arguments behind the scenes between Eardley and Gregan, then who would pick out of the 2.

it would be Eardley for me.

But if some stories are to be believed and there significant arguments behind the scenes between Eardley and Gregan, then who would pick out of the 2.

it would be Eardley for me.

Good question. I reckon I would sell Eardley for £3M and give Greegs a pay rise. :who:

Still celebrating I see, Stitch... :lol:

Yes, after a nightmare evening this news was welcome. :)

:shakeit:

Good question. I reckon I would sell Eardley for £3M and give Greegs a pay rise. :who:

Yes, after a nightmare evening this news was welcome. :)

:shakeit:

Stitch. You should go into politics. You are a natural. (but no expenses)

not arguing mate just asking a question thats all,jesus.the same ronnie moore that gets ridiculed at every opportunity on here and when we played the trannies,he must be a football genius then.

You didn't actually go and take me seriously did you? :wink:

:whoosh::whoosh::whoosh:

• 10 months later...

From the tale I heard I expected him to be holding a tray of drinks! :lol:

Although I sure as hell wouldn't begrudge him a night on the lash after the season he's had. The only reason we're not playing League Two football next year.

As a fan of Gregan and also one that is aware of his shortcomings I amquite pleased with this, he was our best player during the hellish run from March onwards, he knows he is in the last chance saloon and he'll have to behave himself with not only DP but Martin Gray who will not put up with his :censored: and I reckon he'll be a little humbler for the experience of being released. What next.....Hughes?

Think I pretty much foretold it as it's panned out! Nice to meet him last night too, seemed a decent guy...

From the tale I heard I expected him to be holding a tray of drinks! :lol:

Go on then, which of the following can we cross off the Latics Squad Night Out Bingo Card?

• Gregan getting his cock out
  • Someone punching Chris Taylor
  • Someone getting Penney in a headlock (bonus points if it was someone off here instead of one of the players)