JPT - Tinpot Cup

Would I bother going to Wembley to watch us in the JPT final ?....you know what, if it was up to me I wouldn't, but I know if we did get there I'd end up getting dragged along by family and friends. I would envisage being sat inside Wembley all excited though - what, paying over the odds for a ticket and grub, surrounded by thousands of bandwagoners and Dagenham fans, playing to win a trophy that if we did win would be forgotten about a few years down the line...

The fact is, we have not once yet reached the final of the pisspot trophy....all we've done every season is lose money after money staging games that the supporter is not interested in watching. The attendances tell you how interested your average football fan is in this 'competition'...

After the pathetic attitude of some of our lot over the early rounds of the FA Cup and the abysmal attendance vs Cheltenham in the replay last season...let's sack that one off too eh? Why bother? Same "losing money" argument stands up and we'll never win it so why bother??? Oh and while we're at it...this league thingy....one we've been in for X years....

After the pathetic attitude of some of our lot over the early rounds of the FA Cup and the abysmal attendance vs Cheltenham in the replay last season...let's sack that one off too eh? Why bother? Same "losing money" argument stands up and we'll never win it so why bother??? Oh and while we're at it...this league thingy....one we've been in for X years....

We're talking about the JPT, not the FA or League Cups, cleverclogs....there's no comparison. Two are cups we've done very well in, in fact had our finest hours in, played the biggest clubs in the land (and beat them and lost against them) made lots of money out of, and have the splendid memories to saviours....the other is a corporate money-spinner for the FA and just a massive headache for the participants.

Edited by Yard Dog

Just seen on 'dales official site that it's to be drawn on the 15th August.

8 Northern teams will get a bye to round 2. Under new rules, you cant have the same teams getting a bye on consecutive years so Rochdale, Carlisle, Darlington, Chester, Bury, Huddersfield who got byes last year will automatically be put in the first round.

Good chance of dodging the 1st round. Exciting times. :lol::unsure:

It is a waste of time, we will put a rubbish team out, most teams will, they should just scrap it :angry:

I bet all you people who are saying its waste of time and all that bollox would still walk down wembley way buzzing that your at wembley wouldnt you !

i think its a good competion to have especially for the younger supporters like me who have never seen latics play at wembley !

Would I bother going to Wembley to watch us in the JPT final ?....you know what, if it was up to me I wouldn't, but I know if we did get there I'd end up getting dragged along by family and friends. I would envisage being sat inside Wembley all excited though - what, paying over the odds for a ticket and grub, surrounded by thousands of bandwagoners and Dagenham fans, playing to win a trophy that if we did win would be forgotten about a few years down the line...

The fact is, we have not once yet reached the final of the pisspot trophy....all we've done every season is lose money after money staging games that the supporter is not interested in watching. The attendances tell you how interested your average football fan is in this 'competition'...

you wouldnt want to go but you would get dragged there? absolute bo**ox. tell ya what dude, im gonna end this debate with you before we fall out....laterz

Am with Jacko end of the day i was to young to go to the Littlewoods final i would love to go to Wembley to see Oldham and see the JPT as the only way to do so. Yeah went to the United cup semi final but this would be the final.

Plus its an extra game what would people rather be doing watching Oldham in the JPT or sat in a pub full of Man Ure, Liverpool or Chelsea fans playing in champions league.

One of the major issues with last season in my eyes is that we dived out of the cups too early. Wenger doesn't like the League Cup but he uses it to his advantage, and we should do the same with the JPT. Look at Mourinho - first thing he did at Chelsea was go hard after the LC because he wanted to get a real winning mentality at the club, and he followed that with a couple of league titles.

If we took it seriously then it could be a perfect opportunity to get lads like Stephens and Black competitive experience, and at the end of it we could be going to Wembley. Cannot see why it is even a debate - the Trophy is there to be won and we should look to be in the shake up for it.

We lose money in the league but we still keep going in that.

As for having success in the League cup & FA cup, we didn't until 89/90, so should we have withdrawn from those/asked for them to be abolished prior to that year?

Utter rot. It's a genuine long-standing competition, 25 years old, and has it's place.

I did a post/poll on it just as the season ended. I just can't be arsed trying to find it. :wink:

lmao

well lets just agree to disagree, obviously not everyone believes its a waste of time, not everyone believes it is worth doing.

I will be following latics to every game possible wether it be against man united or against AFC dumpsville (not to be confused with crapsville AKA city)

In my opinion its a good opportunity to give a chance to them players who have dropped out of favour to prove themselves, without any major risk involved like you would with league/LC/FAC

At the moment, it is probably a waste of time, but how about making the competition interesting and giving the Winners opportunity to play in the Europa League Qualifying Rounds?

If the likes of Villa + Spurs can't take the UEFA/Europa seriously, perhaps giving the chance to lower league clubs would value the games/experience more.

Any other suggestions of how to make the competition interesting?

I think that many people who dislike the JPT, are those those that have supported the team for many years, and therefore seen us play at higher standards and compete on occassions in the 'major' domestic cups.

When we were in the top 2 divisions, then the FA Trophy does look like a sad little competition, and one we had no interest in.

However the fact is we have been in the 3rd division for over 10 years and the JPT is a reasonable knock-out cup competition for the lower two divisions.

Its a competition we have a chance of realistically winning, its a chance for the 'day out', and I for one would welcome the club taking it seriously. Even though I have been to the 2 previous visits with Latics.

Football is about entertainment and enjoyment. A season that inlcuded a trip to Wembley and a 'pot' would be one that met those criteria for me.

I think that many people who dislike the JPT, are those those that have supported the team for many years, and therefore seen us play at higher standards and compete on occassions in the 'major' domestic cups.

When we were in the top 2 divisions, then the FA Trophy does look like a sad little competition, and one we had no interest in.

However the fact is we have been in the 3rd division for over 10 years and the JPT is a reasonable knock-out cup competition for the lower two divisions.

Its a competition we have a chance of realistically winning, its a chance for the 'day out', and I for one would welcome the club taking it seriously. Even though I have been to the 2 previous visits with Latics.

Football is about entertainment and enjoyment. A season that inlcuded a trip to Wembley and a 'pot' would be one that met those criteria for me.

Spot on.

Awful competition and I hate playing in it, especially with the stupid rule that says you can't even mix the team up a bit. The mugs (myself included) who attend these games are the same mugs who would attend if we put a team of kids out, we could probably get more people going if we knew before hand that little Jimmy was going to get a start. The variety would be nice and allows the management to rest the better players whilst potentially giving the fans a glimpse in to the future.

If we were to get to Wembley it would probably cost about £100-£200 all in to go and see us win/lose a pot that has no value whatsoever beyond generating income for the League by conning a sucker sponsor and mugs to attend on a wet Tuesday night throughout the winter months.

At the moment, it is probably a waste of time, but how about making the competition interesting and giving the Winners opportunity to play in the Europa League Qualifying Rounds?

If the likes of Villa + Spurs can't take the UEFA/Europa seriously, perhaps giving the chance to lower league clubs would value the games/experience more.

That's a great idea.

Any other suggestions of how to make the competition interesting?

I think that playing in Europe might be a bit far fetched, but what about a "Charity sheild" type game against the winners of the League Cup? Most times this will generate a game against the top 10 of the Premier League, if not the top 4, and so will be a chance for the little team to have a big day out. Also gets on telly and gets some money in for the smaller club.

I think that playing in Europe might be a bit far fetched, but what about a "Charity sheild" type game against the winners of the League Cup? Most times this will generate a game against the top 10 of the Premier League, if not the top 4, and so will be a chance for the little team to have a big day out. Also gets on telly and gets some money in for the smaller club.

Or a bye to the FA Cup 3rd round the following season is maybe a bit more realistic.

It just needs a greater incentive of some sort.

Indeed, and all these suggestions give it that.

I'm not sure about the Bye though... do Latics not make money from the first three rounds? It'd be great to get a bye and get Arsenal or whoever but if you got a bye and were knocked out by Colchester in front of 2,300 people then you'd be gutted!