Car Registration Plates

Now IMO that one Chaddy's after is fine - because it makes perfect sense when displayed legally (Edit - but only if he drives around with his Chaddy head on, which on reflection probably wouldn't be very safe... :unsure: ).

It's the ones that are spaced illegally, or don't quite spell the owner's name (who the hell wants to drive around telling the world "I can't spell my own name" ? :blink: ) that make me think W4 NKR.

Edited by garcon

There are plenty of CT ?? OWL available...

The only problem with personalised numberplates (other than the person in the car) is that they are restricted from being even semi amusing by the DVLA. They cut out anything nowadays. Although PEN15 got out, as did TU0 2T1T.

I was put right off private plates after my last experience.

I used to have the plate P4 NDW which read P and W when it was printed correctly (or incorrectly if your a copper). Firstly i had it on a sports car and got pulled by a copper for "my exhaust blowing". I tried explaining that it was actually an air filter making the noise. As i made him look stupid he got me for my plate. I took it off.

I then put it on my golf. I then got pulled by a copper for "racing against some young lad on the bypass" even though i was doing 50 and had my wife in the car and my 1 year old son in the back, and the other driver was doing at least 75 when the copper pulled onto the bypass. I lost my rag and gave him some verbal for getting the wrong person. He then gave me the lecture about my plate whilst i was parked outside the fiat garage in Oldham. As he was lecturing me and i was explaining that surely there were better things to waste his time on then a plate with the letters as clear as day but spaced slightly different to others a car went past with some young asian lads in it. I swear to go that if the guy parked his car infront of me now with that reg on i couldnt tell you what it was supposed to say legally. I pointed him out to the copper and his response was "Yes, but im not dealing with him, im dealing with you". He then pulled me again 3 days after in the exact same place so i realised it was best to just get a normal plate.

More trouble than there worth unless you pay a fortune for a fancy one.

Edited by chaddy the owl

My Mum got one because she didn't like her assigned plate. Another funny one I saw in the past was H1 4COF but it was on some crappy car if I remember rightly. I think there are some people who 'buy' personalised plates as an investment because they can go up in value. If you can read it then let it be- if you can't then its a fine, points and you are made to buy a new, different lettered, standard, age appropriate plate. Sometimes though your assigned plate works out as a sort of personalised one.

I saw one on a porsche the other day it was something like POR 504E, the 0 had the screw white to make it look like a c and the 4 just looked stupid. Why even bother? Somebody was probably on a holiday in Jamaica at the expense of that tool.

Edited by footy68

I do remember when i was about 17 and working part time in Halfords on the "ICE" section and some lad came in looking for a new sub, i went to his car to check if it would fit anf he had a Frontera with the registration TWA 77Y. Funnily enough that after chatting to him about how much he had spent on his car i was thinking how well his plate suited him. He also said he was constantly being pulled by the police as his plate was spaced and changed to look exactly like he wnted it to, but those were the days when the police just pulled you over and laughed at you.

Tends to be people who havent got one that have issues with them, fair enough but bet most wont turn one down if they have the chance.

I'm not sure about that mate. I don't have one, don't want one and would only have one if it came on the car. I would never, ever buy one.

Well my dad gets offers of between £18k to £25k each week for his so is an investment as it cost him nothing.

If you get one for free and sell it for £25k then that's fantastic. If you pay £25k for it then, for me, you're nutts!

Why your dad's not sold it is beyond me for that kind of money.

I'd never have a private plate - when you drive like I do it's best to draw as little attention as possible. :wink:

My mate has X10TH (his surname in Greek) and it causes him no end of problems through recognition.

If you get one for free and sell it for £25k then that's fantastic. If you pay £25k for it then, for me, you're nutts!

Why your dad's not sold it is beyond me for that kind of money.

Exactly - pay off the credit card debts and have a year mooching around south east Asia etc.....or have a personalised number plate? :mmm:

It must be something special at £25k though.

Edited by Stitch_KTF

First part fair enough but it is just as valid as buying anything else if you can afford it.

Of course it is mate... I don't deny that it's a case of each to their own!

But as others say if I had £10k knocking about to buy a car plate I'd much rather spend a year seeing the world, or buy a new car! :lol:

Remember the pm Ackey I have a sub machine Gun at my disposal. 3rd in the Marksman comp. Sniper in main stand. lol

I think we all know that hardness is not about ability to be physically stronger, quicker and able to beat someone in a fight. It's about the number of pints you can sink.