Rocket Ronny Jepson

Bit of a tangent, but looking at his history it staggers me that we apparently paid £400,000 for him (I was in Australia at the time & don't remember).

Why? And why did he leave so quickly, for free? His scoring record was pretty good.

Can someone fill me in?

Guest FyldeBlue
Bit of a tangent, but looking at his history it staggers me that we apparently paid £400,000 for him (I was in Australia at the time & don't remember).

Why? And why did he leave so quickly, for free? His scoring record was pretty good.

Can someone fill me in?

Where did you get this history ?....to the best of my knowledge he was a free transfer and was basically helping us out in one of the spells when all our strikers vanished, funny that could even have been last season ! :grin:

Can someone fill me in?

That was nothing-Steve Whitehall cost the club £750,000.

Can someone fill me in?

his record was 2 goals, both at grimsby on the last day of the season, other that he was :censored:, and typical latics fans let him know

Nah, Steve Whitehall was only £45,000 - certainly less than a hundred grand.

Both Wikipedia and Soccerbase report the Jepson fee as £400,000, but they could both be wrong.

The way this club has paid over the odds for strikers over the years: £400,000 for Jepson; £750,000 for Whitehall. And that's not even mentioning £625,000 for Alan Smart and the half a million for Carlo.

The way this club has paid over the odds for strikers over the years: £400,000 for Jepson; £750,000 for Whitehall. And that's not even mentioning £625,000 for Alan Smart and the half a million for Carlo.

Either Corporal is trying a pretty good wind up or he's typing this from Remploy.

Guest FyldeBlue
That was nothing-Steve Whitehall cost the club £750,000.

Where is all this nonsense about transfer fees coming from ?

So far all miles away from reality. Roger Palmer wrong fee, Steve Whitehall wrong fee, Ronnie Jepson wrong fee, Andy Ritchie cost us around £45,000 from Leeds in big Joe's days, he was one of the bargain buys of that decade not just for Latics but in the entire football league, Andy was and still is one of the nicest guys around and without any doubt at all one of the most under-rated strikers in the game.

It was due to Andy's goalscoring record that we achieved so much, the only down point was that big Joe was about to bring Andy on in the Littlewoods Cup Final against Nottingham Forest, Joe for whatever daft reason changed his mind, left Andy wandering up and down the touchline, the rest is history and if you don't know what happened!.....within a matter of seconds that Mark Hughes sod scored an equaliser and we lost the replay and could have won the cup at first attempt.

It was due to Andy's goalscoring record that we achieved so much, the only down point was that big Joe was about to bring Andy on in the Littlewoods Cup Final against Nottingham Forest, Joe for whatever daft reason changed his mind, left Andy wandering up and down the touchline, the rest is history and if you don't know what happened!.....within a matter of seconds that Mark Hughes sod scored an equaliser and we lost the replay and could have won the cup at first attempt.

:blush:

Where is all this nonsense about transfer fees coming from ?

[/b]

So far all miles away from reality. Roger Palmer wrong fee, Steve Whitehall wrong fee, Ronnie Jepson wrong fee, Andy Ritchie cost us around £45,000 from Leeds in big Joe's days, he was one of the bargain buys of that decade not just for Latics but in the entire football league, Andy was and still is one of the nicest guys around and without any doubt at all one of the most under-rated strikers in the game.

Edited by palmer1

I can't believe the money we have wasted on such players over the years, disgraceful! :ranting:

And who can forget the way ManUre made us pay a £375,000 'loan fee' for that big, lumbering Yank a few years back? All that money and I can't even recall his name.

kenny cooper?

banging them in for fun in the mls

I thought Stitch cost us £50k and Roger around £70k?

Yeah that just shows how much the club has declined. Back then we could find gems for peanuts, recently we've been paying silly money for poor players like Carlo for half a mil and Steve Whitehall for 750k. That money could have been better used.