Ronnie Biggs

Lags

Should he be released or remain in prison  

48 members have voted

1. 1. in or out

• released
    • remain in prison

I don't buy his son's michaels plea's for his release on the grounds he's now old and served as long as the others behind bars. For a few reasons, one had he not escaped and ran he'd have served his time as a young man and now old be out. Two, he should serve longer for his escaping and lording it in Brazil until he wanted NHS treatment.

I don't buy his son's michaels plea's for his release on the grounds he's now old and served as long as the others behind bars. For a few reasons, one had he not escaped and ran he'd have served his time as a young man and now old be out. Two, he should serve longer for his escaping and lording it in Brazil until he wanted NHS treatment.

Totally agree Lags. Leave him in there.

I don't agree with keeping people in jail until they die, if you are going to do that you might as well just do the old rope and trapdoor job on them. Totally agree that there is no reason to let him out - health grounds aren't meant to be a factor in it and you aren't meant to get parole unless you show remorse.

Hey, but wasn't Biggs from a time when Crims were just loveable rogues? I mean they never beat, racketeered or murdered anyone did they?

I did like his song with the Sex Pistols though....

Tell that to the poor guards wife and children. Just because he died after the event doesn't mean they didn't murder him.

Ronnie Biggs has served 1 (maybe 2 or 3 but no more) year of a 30 year sentence, anyone else wouldn't be eligible for parole. OK so the money he stole is nothing like the money the bankers stole but in todays terms it would be at least £10 mill. He came back to this country for his free NHS treatment (and no matter what you might think about the NHS its better than Brazil's best). Why should he get extra benefit of an early release. I agree with LeesLover there is no point letting someone die in prision (its more expensive for a start) but no remorse = no parole nevermind how famous you are and how much time you have served. Leave him there until just before his death.

Then hang him.....

If he was unrepentant then that would be one thing. He's an arrogant expletive who thinks what he did was good as it made him look like the big man. If he wants to act like that, strip him of his dignity. I can understand his family not being too happy but if they want to blame someone then they should look no further than Mr Biggs himself. They could always get on with their lives and forget this pathetic little thing.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

He's now served a third of his 30 year sentence...he could have committed a far worse crime and have been let out by now...rape, death by dangerous driving etc. I know there's the issue over the train guard who got severely beaten but to my knowledge this has never been pinned on Biggs. 30 years always seemed excessive to me for a robbery.

Let him out, the prisons are bursting at the seams and real dangerous criminals are being given non-custodial sentences as a result - give his cell to someone else.

Brown and Straw are just trying to look tough on crime.

Edited by Yard Dog

He's now served a third of his 30 year sentence...he could have committed a far worse crime and have been let out by now...rape, death by dangerous driving etc. I know there's the issue over the train guard who got severely beaten but to my knowledge this has never been pinned on Biggs. 30 years always seemed excessive to me for a robbery.

Let him out, the prisons are bursting at the seams and real dangerous criminals are being given non-custodial sentences as a result - give his cell to someone else.

As for letting him out - if you escape from jail from a 30-stretch you must figure that you aren't able to check in and pick up the setence where you left off after living it up partying and whoring your way around Brazil with all it's associated joys until you are old, ill and skint? And then be let off because you are old and ill and skint? TBH there is some suspicion that the guard didn't so too badly out of it all, he never had to work again in return for one knock on the head, I've had a few of them, a couple of which I didn't deserve.

I take your point about prisons, and in the options currently in front of us I sympatise. I would rather a system where the victims of the crime are paid back in cash terms by the culprit, rather than this mad idea of, "society," getting it's own back in some abstract way by being made to pay a fortune to lock the culprit up. Even in the most severe crimes this would be very meaningful - ie you can't replace a murdered father, but you can help provide for the income he no longer brings to the family. People always talk about the problems of people who refuse to play game, however, this is where chain gangs if you wish to eat and, ultimately the dance at the end of the rope of justice come into play for those who fundamentally refuse to live by the norms that decent people choose to abide by.

And yes, I am in a bad mood.

I buy the argument that he's no threat to society - anymore.

I buy the argument that by letting him out a much nastier and naughtier criminal can be locked up instead. But that's only because we're too soft with the way we treat criminals.

It really is time politicians and police were tough on crime, surely? This isn't a party political point (it was the Tories who decided to let people out after they'd served half their sentence), but what message do you give when you let somebody out after 10 years of a 30 year sentence? Or 3 years of a 6 year sentence?

Stuff human rights. I don't give a toss if a violent criminal is sharing a 6 foot square cell with 4 people and they're :censored:ting in a shared bucket. Cram them in, make it uncomfortable and don't let them out until they've served every second of their sentence. Or killed each other.

In a week where police have "arrested" a scarecrow with a speed gun, a year where the sellers of a golliwog have been kept in the cells and a month where a PCSO has told my son to stop playing football outside his own home becuase of fears his 99p flyaway football might cause "criminal damage" to somebody's car it is clear to me that the whole system is arse about tit.

And no, I've not read the Daily Mail today.

Edited by opinions4u

I buy the argument that he's no threat to society - anymore.

I buy the argument that by letting him out a much nastier and naughtier criminal can be locked up instead. But that's only because we're too soft with the way we treat criminals.

It really is time politicians and police were tough on crime, surely? This isn't a party political point (it was the Tories who decided to let people out after they'd served half their sentence), but what message do you give when you let somebody out after 10 years of a 30 year sentence? Or 3 years of a 6 year sentence?

Stuff human rights. I don't give a toss if a violent criminal is sharing a 6 foot square cell with 4 people and they're :censored:ting in a shared bucket. Cram them in, make it uncomfortable and don't let them out until they've served every second of their sentence. Or killed each other.

In a week where police have "arrested" a scarecrow with a speed gun, a year where the sellers of a golliwog have been kept in the cells and a month where a PCSO has told my son to stop playing football outside his own home becuase of fears his 99p flyaway football might cause "criminal damage" to somebody's car it is clear to me that the whole system is arse about tit.

And no, I've not read the Daily Mail today.

The Sun ?

:grin:

I was only 3 months old when I emigrated oop north too.

Working in Yorkshire must have damaged me!!

:lol:

Me other-half is from Bratfud - they call 'em teacakes there ! I don't want currants with my chips.... oh and don't get me started on Yorkshire chips - disgusting.

• 4 weeks later...