MMA Thread

From the other thread:

I hope he doesn't sign with the UFC. There's only one way out of it.......a monster wrestler (Lesnar or Carwin) beats a faded Fedor and suddenly the greatest fighter of all time will be "over rated" or "found out when he fought in the UFC".

I'd rather he retire now than suffer that.

He has beaten 4 UFC Heavyweight champions, add to that Ricardo Arona, Babalu, Minotauro, Crocop......I could go on but thats not bad for a career.

He has done it all with a humble attitude too. Sign with DREAM and retire Fedor.

Fujita, Goodridge, Randleman, Koshaka 2...

If Fedor can do just one last thing for us before he hangs up his gloves: please batter that idiot from the WWE - do us all a favour, the guy is just a joke. He stands too square (Mir locked him up for this the first time), he's just ground and pound - it's a shame that the UFC have looked upon hulks like Lesnar to boost their popularity and roster. Forgetting Fedor's wave after wave of fists, his wrestling and submission techniques will be the undoing of Lesnar. I can't wait to see his face go purple, tap out or black out...

Фëдор Емельяненко! Фëдор! Фëдор!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didnt realise there were MMA fans on here! Anybody train? I've been training for 3 years now, got my blue belt from world BJJ champ Lucion Lagarto Rodrigues a year ago but now concentrate on no gi grappling.

Good thread although if you want more in depth, maybe some of you already use them, go to;

www.mma.tv/tuf

or google efn forum and find your way to the european fight network forum.

Re; Fedor

He's my favoutite ever fighter (maybe Babalu pushes him and I know some crazy stories about him for the training circuit) but he has been fighting for years and years now. I think he peaked with the Sylvia fight. I honestly, as much as it pains me to say it, think Lesnar is just too much now.

Fedors "casting" punching technique leaves his hands too open to damage, he generally beaks his thumb every fight. He cannot take Lesnar with one hand. He also gets taken down surprisingly frequently and gets marked up.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure thean seeing Fedor pull off a rolling Sambo kneebar or inverted heelhook on Lesnar, but unfortunately I just cant see it.

Pretty much confirmation of one of Dana White's announcements.

Tito Ortiz posted "My fans have made a decision easier for me to make. The future of my career will be made tomorrow. I hope youu will be as happy as I am."

This would seem to be a confirmation of what has been expected all week, that among the things announced tomorrow would be the return of Ortiz to UFC.

More on the Fedor deal

UFC: More Dana on Fedor - They [Fedor's agents/M-1] did not want to take the deal. I guarantee they won’t be offered a better deal.

31 July 2009 19:09

UFC: Dana on Fedor - We tried everything that we could possibly do to get Fedor in the UFC – we went above and beyond.

31 July 2009 19:08

UFC: Tito Ortiz is signed and back in the Octagon!!!

31 July 2009 19:07

250px-Afflictionlogo.jpg

Affliction Entertainment has called it a day....

http://is.gd/1LEQR

It was a bit gash TBH, Tito Ortiz? He had is day against Shamrock and Liddell - great fights, great times for UFC but he's not good enough anymore. Fedor is available again...

A week's a long, long time in this sport. I've found out why Dana White is so good at his job, and in doing so - I have a lot more respect for him. UFC doesn't need Fedor, and it certainly doesn't need the incredibly dodgy M-1 to co-promote the Fedor events within the UFC. So the deal is off, M-1 play Fedor close to their chest and UFC shrug their shoulders and carry on. White has been quoted that Fedor will not get a better deal anywhere else, I'm thinking M-1 wanted more than just the fight.

With the Affliction thing, my conclusion out of all this is that Josh Barnett is a tosspot. 3 times now he's been caught out with taking steroids, but this instance has a nasty and selfish back story to it. On the undercard for Affliction 3: Trilogy LC Davis was billed to fight Javier Vasquez. Vasquez and all the fighters at this level are constantly looking for the contracts to put sauce on the table and keep the wolf from the door, and with that the Affliction promotion would've given him a decent pay cheque for his services. Everybody knew Affliction were throwing money at it. With Barnett being pulled due to illegal substance use, the card collapsed and the contracts were cancelled - this doesn't bother the tosser Barnett, he'll fly back over to Japan for a DREAM ticket no problems - Strikeforce maybe less accommodating with Barnett, maybe the other topcarders from Trilogy will be looking to Strikeforce as the #2 outfit in the US, but at least there are contract options for them. Vasquez and as previously mentioned - all the fighters like him on the undercard - are now in limbo. They've been fight training for 6-8 weeks and are ready to go, but there's nothing for them to go to. Strikeforce can only financially accept so many fighters onto their roster...

Barnett, the selfish w***er will carry on.

Up-and-coming fighters and guys like Vasquez will struggle, maybe the sport will lose some future champions because of the actions of Barnett - the man who single handedly caused the collapse of one of the routes that these aspiring fighters can go down....

I'm thinking M-1 wanted more than just the fight.

Last time there was Fedor / UFC negotiations M-1 wanted UFC to guarantee fights for Aleksander (Fedors' brother) and other members of Russian Top Team. They also wanted to carry on promoting Fedor outside of the UFC, and so required a non exclusive deal.

Your right about M-1 too. Why should the UFC, as successful (read "mainstream") as they have become, get involved with guys that may not be strictly on the level. I think this was the problem with promoting in Japan after the Pride deal too, as Dana pretty much said the Yakuza would need to be involved.

It's a real shame about Affliction, there needs to be real competition in MMA promoting.

The UFC may well be the pinnacle of the sport for years to come, but they cannot rely on The Ultimate Fighter to carry on creating new stars for them. It would be far better for the sport on the whole if there were several Strikeforce / Affliction type companies promoting. It would not only give the UFC a continuing crop of fresh faces who were also experienced fighters*, but would give guys who UFC let go somewhere to fight as well.

* How serious can people take a "World Heavyweight Champion" who has only had 4 fights in his career?

Just seen this about UK fighter "Semtex" Daley, for this read the Barnett Effect post above...

British striker Paul "Semtex" Daley was wrapping up nearly nine weeks of training for his Aug. 1 showdown against former IFL champ Jay Hieron when he learned of the Affliction "Trilogy" cancellation. "I was and I'm still in disbelief," Daley tells FanHouse. "I put a lot of effort into this camp, training and financially. It's left me f***ed."

Daley (21-8-2), who has won nine out of his last eleven fights, says he doesn't hold anything against Affliction or Tom Atencio but wants to be released to fight elsewhere and compensated for the event cancellation. Already on the lookout for his next fight, Daley expressed interest as the replacement for Joe Riggs against Nick Diaz at Strikeforce "Carano vs. Cyborg" on Aug. 15. "Nick has been awesome in his last fights, [i've] been real impressed," Daley said. "I would love to fight this guy. Think it would be an entertaining fight for the fans."

Strikeforce signs Fedor Emelianenko to multi-fight deal, M-1 to co-promote during fall debut http://u.mavrev.com/xr4u @mmajunkie

What a joke this is now, Strikeforce? I thought they had more sense - I've lost total respect for Fedor now, thanks to M-1. In hindsight, I don't think he'd could make it in the UFC to be honest, I'm sick to death of it...

EDIT:

Just to add, can I point out that every promotion that M-1 have co-promoted with are now out of business...

The only fight in the UFC for Fedor is Lesnar. They wanted him to sign a 6 fight deal.

Now he's signed for Strikeforce, the next 3 fights will be chosen from a list WAY better than the UFC's;

Alistair Overeem

Josh Barnett

Brett Rogers

Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva - Very nice guy and HUGE

Roger Gracie - I got destroyed by him in sparring while he tied his hands in his belt. lol

Jeff Monson

Oh, and Javier Vasquez isn't a new fighter, he's been around for years. He has a good takedown instructional DVD.

The only fight in the UFC for Fedor is Lesnar. They wanted him to sign a 6 fight deal.

Oh, and Javier Vasquez isn't a new fighter, he's been around for years. He has a good takedown instructional DVD.

Y'know what? I'm sick to death of Fedor...UFC heavyweight isn't exactly great viewing at the moment anyway, 205 is where it's at - and I never said Vasquez was new. Overeem really pushed himself against Goodgrige didn't he, what a fight to set you up! How old is GG? 40? I suppose he could beat Fedor or Lesnar if he kicked him in the spuds often enough.

Strikeforce is doing okay, but it's hardly the hotbed of HW fighters that's needed to test Fedor.

...anyway, Bigfoot Silva and Barnett are all but banned in the US for using juice, apparently there's a possibility of them fighting each other in Sengoku. Japan is proper dodgy though, I could get a fight over there.

I've just listened to a Q&A conference call with Dana and Tito, from last Friday or Saturday.

On the Fedor front, it is simply obvious that he or "his people" (his contractual status seems more complex than Tevez's was) do not want to fight in the UFC.

Dana stated that the deal ws still open, and a "f***ing ass load" of money was on the table.

How do you negotiate with these kind of people?

BRF - I don't agree that Fedors best opponents lie outside the UFC. From your list I'd only really be interested in watching him fight Brett Rogers, who would give him a hell of a fight.

Rogers vs. Arlovski

It's enevitable that for the foreseeable future the UFC is where the money and the competition is. Fedor not signing speaks volumes to me.

Read this article and ask yourself why anyone would want to co-promote with these idiots.

Anyway, some predictions for Saturday night...

BJ Penn to retain via submission in the 3rd.

Silva to triangle Griffin in the 2nd.

Almeida to KO Grove early.

I've seen the Main and co-main events from last night - I'll catch up to the others later.

Anderson Silva v Forrest Griffin - There was no love for the Spider in the introductions was there!? :lol:

It won't get any easier than this in the 205's for Silva, Griffin looked unready, and unfit. His cardio was poor and he was so slow with his strikes, he sent written requests to Silva before he pulled them. He couldn't get anywhere near Anderson. Laying on his back little after three minutes minutes waving his hands in the air, :censored:ting himself - I expected more of a fight from Griffin tbh, no wonder he buggered off straight away after the fight...

The BJP fight went according to plan too.

UFC 101: Steady As She Goes...

Just finished UFC 101 now.

Not much on the undercard to get excited about, although they did air the pelim fight between George Roop and George Sotiropolous which is well worth checking out.

Really disappointed with Forest Griffin, what a poor showing. One of the most laidback KOs ever. I did giggle at Anderson Silvas facials during the booing at the ring intos.

It's a good job that I can only bet on results and not finishes! 3 for 3 means my Paddy Power account is a bit healthier today :grin:

According to those guys over at Sherdog, Griffin had a broken jaw and ear problems.

Before or after the fight?

The way he ran out afterwards was like he'd just remembered he'd left the immersion on and was desperate not to waste the hot water.

Actually, just remembered BJ Penn doing the same thing years ago after KOing Caol Uno (I think) in 10 secs.

Before or after the fight?

The way he ran out afterwards was like he'd just remembered he'd left the immersion on and was desperate not to waste the hot water.

Actually, just remembered BJ Penn doing the same thing years ago after KOing Caol Uno (I think) in 10 secs.

There's a lot of conflicting stories floating about:

TWITTER

MMA Report: Forrest Griffin NOT Injured in Loss to Anderson Silva at UFC 101 http://u.mavrev.com/007mz

Reports surfaced on Sunday that Griffin had suffered a jaw injury and that was the reason for his hasty exit, but MMAWeekly.com was able to confirm with representatives from Zinkin Entertainment, Griffin's management group, that he is physically fine following the Saturday night fight. Griffin suffered no broken jaw and he is physically okay, said the Zinkin representative, but emotionally he is definitely not dealing well with the loss.