MMA Thread

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Babalu, Diaz are on the card, and Werdum is on the prelims.

Nick Diaz is a tool...

Update on Nick Diaz fighting on Saturday (updated final time) PDF Print E-mail

By Dave Meltzer

The California State Athletic Commission has just offically approved Jesse Taylor vs. Jay Hieron as the replacment match with Nick Diaz not getting licensed for Saturday night's Strikefore event at the HP Pavilion and on Showtime.

Neither Diaz nor manager Cesar Gracie have made contact with the state athletic commission since Diaz didn't show up for a planned test on Friday night in Sacramento.

Diaz's license expired on July 25th, and because all fighters who have prior drug violations have to pass a test regarding the specific drug in order to get a new license, Diaz had to pass a test for marijuana before he could be licensed.

Taylor is known for his appearances on season seven of The Ultimate Fighter. Taylor (13-3) was scheduled to face Amir Sadollah in the finals, but was replaced by Dana White after a drunken rampage just as the taping of the season ended.

He returned to the UFC on July 19, 2008, but lost to C.B. Dollaway. When he publicly talked of UFC having a double standard when Quinton Jackson made headlined for reckless driving and evading police in a car chase, and not being suspended by the organization, he was released by the organization.

He has since won seven fights in a row since that time, most recently a 7/20 win over Yoon Dong Sik, when the Korean judo star suffered an ankle injury and the match was stopped at 1:02.

It is believed at this time it will be a three round fight, and not a championship fight as scheduled. We will update later if this is not correct.

Diaz had failed a test in Nevada after a February 24, 2007, match in Las Vegas where he tested positive after beating Takanori Gomi with a gogoplata. Nevada since overturned the result and ruled the match a no contest.

On Aug. 5, Gracie had contacted the commission and said that Diaz and former commissioner Armando Garcia had a secret deal where Diaz, due to California's compassionate usage act for marijuana, that Diaz would only be tested at fight time.

Bill Douglas of the state athletic commission said nobody at the commission was aware of such a deal and that every fighter had been told of the new regulations where all California fighters can be tested at any time.

Scott Coker sent plane tickets for Diaz to fly to Los Angeles so the test could take place today. Even so, there was no guarantee the results of the test would be back in time for weigh-ins on Friday in San Jose. Douglas had said that they would license Diaz for the match with Hieron to create the Strikeforce welterweight champion up to five minutse before Diaz would be scheduled to step on the scale.

"We were doing everything we could to make this fight happen," said Douglas.

The commission attempted to contact both Gracie and Diaz six times since Saturday night to schedule a test for today, but neither contected the commission.

The California State Athletic Commission had specified that if Nick Diaz doesn't make an appointment for testing by Noon Pacific time that the fight with Jay Hieron on Saturday's Strikeforce show is out.

Scott Coker, who at 11 a.m., at a press cnoference, was still talking positively that the match would take place, said he would continue to work with Diaz even if he doesn't show up for the test, but that the two would have a talking to.

Coker said that he had sent plane tickets for Diaz to fly to Los Angeles for the test today and that there was no miscommunication between himself, the commission and Diaz.

Have you seen anything from the WEC show yet? I have been told Takeya Mizugaki vs Jeff Curran was awesome.

Hahahaha. Yeah, I saw that the other day, Joe Rogans' face popping up makes me laugh every time I see it - there's another one, Knightrider: Dan Henderson knocking out Bisping...

WEC42 was all right I suppose, Mizugaki vs Curran wasn't awesome it was however a shrewd, tactical ground battle with the loser Curran putting in a pretty good kimura sweep and triangle at the death but Mizugaki held on for a split win. In my opinion, the best fight was a gutsy bout between Joseph Benavidez and Dominick Cruz, with Cruz winning on a UD. Bowles' KO of Torres was a bit of a suprise, good fight with all the opportunities taken by Bowles, a great right hook whilst backpeddling into the fence and taking bombs from Torres...

UFC 105 in Manchester, bouts so far...

* Lightweight Championship bout: BJ Penn vs. Diego Sanchez

* Welterweight bout: James Wilks vs. Matt Brown

* Welterweight bout: Damarques Johnson vs.Peter Sobotta

* Lightweight bout: Paul Kelly vs. Dennis Siver

* Lightweight bout: Andre Winner vs. Rolando Delgado

We get a title fight at last. This might still feature Bisping as a vehicle to get his winning streak started again. Also I hope "The Outlaw" features too vs Parisyan or Lytle, I was looking forward to seeing him so fingers crossed. Semtex Daly is on course for a matchup against Foster at UFC103: Franklin vs. Belfort, so he will not be in Manchester to fight.

It would be good to see an English show without Bisping on it, if only to see the impact it would have in terms of revenue.

It's my guess that Bisping is not the draw over here that UFC believe him to be, and the show would do just as well without him - especially with a Penn / Sanchez title fight.

The title fight coupled with other UK fighters on the card, especially the ones with recent TUF exposure, would mean a pretty successful show.

Having said that, I'd like to see a Bisping / Hamill rematch at some point, but that may work better in the states (is Hamill still with UFC?).

"The Outlaw" = Dan Hardy right? I was jumping around like an excited 7 year old on Christmas Morning when he got the decision over Marcus Davis! Actually, a European show without that "American Irish" tit is unusual too.

Yeah it's Dan Hardy, big heart - really great fighter to watch. Disappointed that Wanderlei isn't fighting but Hardy competing and BJPenn title fight would make up for it...

I've got some Bisping news: he'll fight "Canadian sensation", Denis Kang at UFC105 in Manchester.

UFC 105 in Manchester, bouts so far...

* Lightweight Championship bout: BJ Penn vs. Diego Sanchez

* Welterweight bout: James Wilks vs. Matt Brown

* Welterweight bout: Damarques Johnson vs.Peter Sobotta

* Lightweight bout: Paul Kelly vs. Dennis Siver

* Lightweight bout: Andre Winner vs. Rolando Delgado

We get a title fight at last. This might still feature Bisping as a vehicle to get his winning streak started again. Also I hope "The Outlaw" features too vs Parisyan or Lytle, I was looking forward to seeing him so fingers crossed. Semtex Daly is on course for a matchup against Foster at UFC103: Franklin vs. Belfort, so he will not be in Manchester to fight.

BJ Penn title fight isn't happening. We're getting Minotoro, not Antônio Rodrigo but Antônio Rogério

Lil' Nog vs. TBA

Michael Bisping vs. Denis Kang

Dan Hardy vs. Dong Hyun Kim

James Wilks vs. Matt Brown

Ross Pearson vs. Aaron Riley

DaMarques Johnson vs. Peter Sobotta

Paul Kelly vs. Denis Siver

Andre Winner vs. Roli Delgado

Terry Etim vs. Shannon Gugerty

Alexander Gustafsson vs. TBA

I'm expenting a few more fights on there yet. No fights have been officially announced. As previously mentioned, Penn/Sanchez moved to UFC107 and Anderson Silva (main fight replacement) is out for the rest of 2009 with surgery.

DREAM:11 poster:

poster_d11.jpg

Possible card:

Featherweight GP Final

Bibiano Fernanders vs. Joe Warren+ (semi)

Hiroyuki Takaya vs. Hideo Tokoro+ (semi)

Champ Joachim Hansen vs. Shinya Aoki (for DREAM lightweight title)

Mayhem vs. Ronaldo Souza (for vacant DREAM middleweight title)

Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante vs. TBA

Kazuyuki Miyata vs. Daiki "DJ.taiki" Hatais

Hong Man Choi vs. Ikuhisa Minowa

Gegard Mousasi vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou

Kid Yamamoto vs. TBA

Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. TBA

===========

With Mayhem and The Kid touted to be on the card, it looks pretty strong. IIRC Mayhem's fight is a re-run title fight of the no-contest in DREAM:9 - he did a PRIDElike "soccer kick" to a down opponent (Jacare? can't remember) and blood was gushing out of his napper.

Right then, bulletpoints it is;

• didn't pick a single winner from UFC 102, but quite enjoyed it none the less.
  • UFC 105 looks poor, won't be buying a ticket in advance but may well pitch up on the day and chance it with a tout.
  • Great to see little Nog again
  • Nice to see Ch5 getting involved, they will be showing a weekly 1 hour highlight show and TUF 10 on 5 USA
  • Speaking of which, the trailer is here and is damn fine
  • BRF may have been inspired by this thread on Sherdog for the MS paint thread, but if not this is genius