2nd striker signing....

Come on, be honest, we are really struggling with this one and have been for a few seasons (Hughes and O'Grady were gambles with questionable success) no wonder Wolfy is still with us....we're training still short of a quality striker and touting Stern John is pie in the sky IMO! I Really do think this KEY signing ain't gonna happen soon. Thoughts?

Patience. There are alot of strikers out there who've been out of contract for only 6 days.

The sooner we sign one the better, but there aren't many clubs out there who are down to chasing their last two first team contracts.

Patience. There are alot of strikers out there who've been out of contract for only 6 days.

The sooner we sign one the better, but there aren't many clubs out there who are down to chasing their last two first team contracts.

Agree, but our track record of (unsuccessful) loanees; other than Abbott, an absence of STRONG links, and pie in the sky suggestions such as Hughes and John does not inspire; Having said that, I would be surprised if the salary budget for this signing was not substantial.....it needs to be and the lack of firm speculation is worrying; that's why I'm concerned.

Agree, but our track record of (unsuccessful) loanees; other than Abbott, an absence of STRONG links, and pie in the sky suggestions such as Hughes and John does not inspire; Having said that, I would be surprised if the salary budget for this signing was not substantial.....it needs to be and the lack of firm speculation is worrying; that's why I'm concerned.

How many of us knew about the Abott and Furman deals before they happened? They came pretty much out of the blue IIRC, so expect Penney to play his cards close to his chest again.

How many of us knew about the Abott and Furman deals before they happened? They came pretty much out of the blue IIRC, so expect Penney to play his cards close to his chest again.

Abbot was regularly and justifiebly mentioned - signed, therefore no surprise but to me he is our SECONDARY striker (fitness / injury issues) we await our PRIMARY signing, but its not going to happen is it? WHO ARE THE MAIN CONTENDERS?

I think you will find Mr Pennys track record for loan signings is far more impressive than Mr Sheridans, especially where strikers are concerned if indeed it comes to a loan signing. as Garcon said Patience. There are alot of strikers out there who've been out of contract for only 6 days.

The sooner we sign one the better, but there aren't many clubs out there who are down to chasing their last two first team contracts.Its a shame we lost out on Billy Clarke but I presume the budget must still be there. There is still a lot of movement to happen yet for instance if WBA sign Cox from Swindon that might free up one of their strikers,now Stephen Elliott would be nice if we could afford him.I think we have to trust DP to get the right man I am sure there are players doing the rounds on trial also that he wants to check out.

Same goes for a centre half, I know Fitz Hall has been mentioned but cant see this really happening he is more than likely way to expensive for us.

Edited by penrhyn

I think we just need to be patient, Penney really does appear to know what he is doing and we are far more advanced with our recruitment than most.

I work with a Tranmere ST holder and he is practically pulling his hair out, he would love them to be as far advanced as we are, he says they are still about 5 players short.

We still need a striker and a Central Defender, but I would rather wait and get the right men than be rushed into a panic buy who we dont want/need, as we did with Shez on the loans, we really were just bringing bodies in as a panic measure and they were not fit or as good as we already had.

We don't want to bring in square pegs for round holes and if we miss out on one or two possiblilities in waiting for the right players then so be it.

I have every confidence that Penney will get the right people in and we will start the season with a very competitive squad.

I work with a Tranmere ST holder and he is practically pulling his hair out, he would love them to be as far advanced as we are, he says they are still about 5 players short.

So the signing of Mark Allott has not captured the imagination of the Tranmere faithful

So the signing of Mark Allott has not captured the imagination of the Tranmere faithful

Not really :grin:

I gave him a good report on Allott, saying that he was a hard worker and always put a shift in etc etc

He was of a mind to think that he wasn't going to be a like for like replacement for Kay (who they lost to Uddersfield) and I was inclined to agree.

Then they re-signed Ian Moore, and he wasn't over the moon about that.

:lol: And I thought we had some Doom and Gloomers amongst our faithful.

I heard yesterday that Penney is in for winger Andy Haworth and striker Nick Blackman on loan from Blackburn.

Blackman

Haworth

13 full Reserves appearances between them.

If it is true then they're not players who'll be pushing for immediate and/or regular first team slots I'd have thought.