Anti-Failsworth move begins..

It was the 'Parts of Failsworth are amongst the most deprived areas of Oldham' comment that I was asking for clarification on. I would be surprised to find this, and interested to see data on the subject.

Another anecdotal note, I have never had my car broken into in Failsworth (or City centre Manchester, for that matter, and I park there regularly), but I have in Oldham. Not saying this proves this or that, but I am just giving my side of the story, I am only commenting on a personal experience. So this in addition to the race riots makes me feel like I live in superior place actually.

Maybe I am seeing things from the other side of the fence to you, maybe I have rose tinted specs, but maybe you, and many other are wearing similar, spouting anti Manchester comments about mugging and scallies. Everywhere has that kinda thing, but in my genuine personal experience of living here I have always considered Failsworth ‘posher’ than most of Oldham.

After the above comments I will no doubt be mercilessly attacked from many of you, but I am just expressing my opinion, and asking for data to back up claims about my home town.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work in Failsworth. It is hard to have a race riot in a place where everyone is the same race.

No offence to the good people of Failsworth, I hate the place because I work there (and do not enjoy my job)

I will however follow the Club that I have Loved for many years to our new ground.

Like many others I appreciated that this is not the perfect solution but may be our only chance of survival

OH WHEN THE BLUES

It was the 'Parts of Failsworth are amongst the most deprived areas of Oldham' comment that I was asking for clarification on. I would be surprised to find this, and interested to see data on the subject.

Another anecdotal note, I have never had my car broken into in Failsworth (or City centre Manchester, for that matter, and I park there regularly), but I have in Oldham. Not saying this proves this or that, but I am just giving my side of the story, I am only commenting on a personal experience. So this in addition to the race riots makes me feel like I live in superior place actually.

Maybe I am seeing things from the other side of the fence to you, maybe I have rose tinted specs, but maybe you, and many other are wearing similar, spouting anti Manchester comments about mugging and scallies. Everywhere has that kinda thing, but in my genuine personal experience of living here I have always considered Failsworth ‘posher’ than most of Oldham.

After the above comments I will no doubt be mercilessly attacked from many of you, but I am just expressing my opinion, and asking for data to back up claims about my home town.

www.apho.org.uk/resource/view.aspx?RID=52221

The map on there will show you that parts of Failsworth East are amongst the most deprived 20% of areas within Oldham and Parts of Failsworth East being amongst the most 40% deprived areas of Oldham. Interestingly Failsworth West is generally more deprived than Failsworth East.

I would also be interested to talk to you about the BNP and links they have to certain elements of your football club's fanbase. I am deeply troubled to think that match days will bring football hooligans with links to facist groups into this area.
Wow, thanks for bringing that to the club's attention, Andrea. If only someone had thought to point it out sooner, maybe the club could have taken steps to address the problem,like supporting national projects like the Show Racism the Red Card initiative, or maybe even setting up some kind of community trust at the club and employing a full-time member of staff to run inclusion projects. Oh hang on....

What a horrible patronising ill-informed arsehole. Presumably when she does her research before talking to Alan Hardy and she finds out that the trouble around the Stoke game in 2001 before the riots was stirred up by 'certain elements' from (among others) Wigan, Everton and Man City's fan bases, who travelled up with Stoke's hooligan firm, she'll also be contacting City to voice her concerns? And what are these 'facist groups' we'll apparently be bringing? People with weird facial prejudices?

I was wondering also which parts of failsworth are some of the most deprived areas of oldham too , as i cant think of many parts in failsworth that are boarded up , falling down and in a state of disrepair , can you think of any where

and I know of one Councillor who was actively buying property in Failsworth (this was pre-credit crunch) in anticipation of a large increase in house prices brought on by the arrival of the tram and an expected Manchester ripple effect in that area.

Wow, thanks for bringing that to the club's attention, Andrea. If only someone had thought to point it out sooner, maybe the club could have taken steps to address the problem,like supporting national projects like the Show Racism the Red Card initiative, or maybe even setting up some kind of community trust at the club and employing a full-time member of staff to run inclusion projects. Oh hang on....

What a horrible patronising ill-informed arsehole. Presumably when she does her research before talking to Alan Hardy and she finds out that the trouble around the Stoke game in 2001 before the riots was stirred up by 'certain elements' from (among others) Wigan, Everton and Man City's fan bases, who travelled up with Stoke's hooligan firm, she'll also be contacting City to voice her concerns? And what are these 'facist groups' we'll apparently be bringing? People with weird facial prejudices?

I've never heard of trouble caused by facist groups (what has the face to do with it)? Now fascist groups may be a different matter?

In all fairness to Andrea, there are plenty ill informed idiots in the media that she probably based her facts on. I remember reading an Article last year that linked Oldham fans and the race riots. I presume they were actually on about the problems at the Stoke City Game which were caused by the “Stoke Fans” or bandwagon jumpers who want to cause problems.

I was wondering also which parts of failsworth are some of the most deprived areas of oldham too , as i cant think of many parts in failsworth that are boarded up , falling down and in a state of disrepair , can you think of any where

Look at the web address I posted that will show you exactly where.

From the Chrons comment section

THE LOCATION OF THE NEW GROUND IS ON THE BOUNDARY OF MANCHESTER THE ADDRESS WILL HAVE A MANCHESTER POST CODE WHAT NEXT CHANGE THE NAME TO MANCHESTER NORTH EAST

By TONY DARLINGTON @ 22/07/2009 13:10:44

Report this comment (9804)

No fans consulation! What were we marching the other year? 12k stadium not 16k? No ambition! Where are the next generation of fans going to go if their home town team is in Failsworth? 4 miles down the road is the answer. Oldham Council is a joke, and as the biggest supporter of the TTAs I am totally disgusted. Failsworth Athletic? If you want to move to Manchester why don't we have the 6000 seater athletics track next to the City of Manchester Stadium? SELL OUT!!!

What about the other clubs that use the lancaster Club, there are 3 senior teams, the main club being avro fc who also have 9 junior sides, 3 criket teams, bowling club, training facilities & 5 a side courts for public use, keep fit courses and table tennis all from the lancaster club, has the local council givin thought into how and were they are going to be relocated??

By famousfuller @ 22/07/2009 15:24:34

Report this comment (9821)

i would like to no when 3 years ago the BAE systems and oldham council met with memebers from the lancaster club and told them the club is a major part of the community and would never be developed, what has changed an investor has come to oldham who might actually have some money, the club has a site full of history at boundrey park witl planning to develop the site , why move to save money they arnet interested in the local community.

By famousfuller @ 22/07/2009 15:28:19

Report this comment (9822)

Absolutely disgusted with these proposals. Bully boy tactics from oldham council and oldham athletic. Watch out dynamos - this lot are not to be trusted.!!!

By gefwud @ 22/07/2009 16:19:38

Report this comment (9829)

I hereby declare that my support for OAFC (after 38 years) is at an end. R.I.P. Come on Oldham Town F.C. (Who were planning this first). Hi-jacked........ Disgusted!!!

By gefwud @ 22/07/2009 16:25:04

Report this comment (9831)

does it matter what standard of sport is played at the lancaster club i think we are missing the point Oldham Athletic has its home, the reason they want to leave is they can save money by building the new ground in a different location the new owners are just trying to do the job on the cheap , they have had planning approved to redevelop the existing site just get on with it and leave things as they are, this is a bad idea all round, to many people will be affected

By famousfuller @ 22/07/2009 22:32:13

Report this comment (9881)

yes, the area around failsworth train station

From the Chrons comment section

There really are some fecking loons in Oldham aren't there... :shock:

I see a hell of a battle ahead to be honest, on a similar scale to the one we'd have had at Ferney Fields, and (dare I say it) undoubtedly bigger than the one around redeveloping Boundary Park.

I just hope we can answer the arguments against positively, do everything we can to ensure the community side of the project is as good as it can be, and hopefully, in the end, win the battle and make some progress.

Otherwise I fear the likes of Hyde, Droylsden and a few others may end up gaining a few fans... :(

There really are some fecking loons in Oldham aren't there... :shock:

I see a hell of a battle ahead to be honest, on a similar scale to the one we'd have had at Ferney Fields, and (dare I say it) undoubtedly bigger than the one around redeveloping Boundary Park.

I just hope we can answer the arguments against positively, do everything we can to ensure the community side of the project is as good as it can be, and hopefully, in the end, win the battle and make some progress.

Otherwise I fear the likes of Hyde, Droylsden and a few others may end up gaining a few fans... :(

We'll have to wait and see what groups spring up, so far all we have is the rantings of the Andrea woman on facebook about our BNP hooligans rampaging through the streets of Failsworth whilst pissing up against their walls.

(on a side note, I'm a little disappointed Alan didn't dispel that accusation when he replied to her letter).

We'll have to wait and see what groups spring up, so far all we have is the rantings of the Andrea woman on facebook about our BNP hooligans rampaging through the streets of Failsworth whilst pissing up against their walls.

(on a side note, I'm a little disappointed Alan didn't dispel that accusation when he replied to her letter).

Pissing whilst rampaging is extremely difficult. I tried it once and ruined both jeans and trainers. I also imagine that the toilets in the new stadium will be more than adequate.

i do not appear able to post on that page? is that because i am not a member? 10 members aswell, hardly a groundswell of oppostion is it!

They have managed to get all the Failsworth residents with opposable thumbs and access to a PC signed up.

FamousFuller has been on a roll today;

what about local residents on park ave, west ave, bridport ave,broadway and the houses on fairway that all back onto the proposed site both manchester & oldham council residents that dont want a football stadium in their what was peacefull location!! surely all the above will object to any proposed stadium

By famousfuller @ 23/07/2009 12:57:32

Report this comment (9930)

where are the supposed 12,000 supporters going to park, by law the would have to provide upto 3000 car park spaces which on its own would be the size of 4 fullsize football pitches?

By famousfuller @ 23/07/2009 12:59:58

Report this comment (9931)

has anyone contacted the various highways agencys, broadway & oldham rd are gridlocked on match days when manchester city are at home, so if they are both at home the whole area would become one massive carpark, broadway isnt big enough to handle the additional traffic on match days!!

By famousfuller @ 23/07/2009 13:02:44

Report this comment (9932)

dont the council, BAE systems & oldham athletic have a moral obligation to look after all the existing sports club, teams that will be thrown off the lancaster club to accomadate Oldham athletic new proposal all i keep being told is that oldham will accomodate all the teams that play there how they are going to do that i would love to know

By famousfuller @ 23/07/2009 13:06:41

Report this comment (9934)

The simple facts are 3 bowling greens,2 tennis courts,1 basketball court,1 childrens park,3 full size football pitches,1 sports and social club that has over 600 members, 1 cricket pitch, a nature reserve in moston brook (which will be affected)will all be lost. what will the area gain, a football stadium with the additional traffic & pollution, additional noise and match day litter and travelling supporters. Sounds a good deal to the local community what a joke!!

By famousfuller @ 23/07/2009 13:13:20

Report this comment (9935)