Trust position- New Ground

Can I first apologise for not getting on the site earlier but I have been away most of the week. I also wanted to meet with the Trust Directors this evening before making any comments.

It has never been the case that we do not represent fans and Trust Directors have constantly made it known that they will meet with any individual or group of fans who have concerns on any issues.

Quite simply your voices are heard and your interests are represented by myself at board level.

With regard to the new development let me first tell you that everyone involved will be disappointed to leave Boundary Park. Many hearts and traditions are embedded at the club we all love. But we must move on and the best interests for now and future generation has to be considered.

You will have all read the statements made by the club these past few days and Trust Oldham is totally committed in its support of Oldham Athletic to move forward.

I respect the personal views that some fans have in not favouring the move but I believe that some exciting times are ahead.

Changing circumstances no longer make Boundary Park a feasible option for development and I look at other clubs around the country who are becoming financial stable by moving to new homes. I also believe that the new grounds situation is more suitable in attracting inward investment and the new Metrolink service will also help. The openness and size of the site will bring greater opportunities to the club.

I am aware that some fans feel frustrated that their opinions and views are not always heard. After all you are paying customers and it is right that you feel that you view count.

The Board of Directors at the club have been involved is some very sensitive and delicate negotiations to date and it certainly would not have been pertinent or advisable to make any public statements until now.

I do not think it is a question of consultation but more to do with participation. Again the Directors I work with have never make claim to possessing all the best ideas and are quite open to listen to other initiatives.

In that respect I want to discuss this with the club to assess a practical way in which fans can put ideas forward about the new ground.

In the meantme.

Keep the Faith

Barry

Can I first apologise for not getting on the site earlier but I have been away most of the week. I also wanted to meet with the Trust Directors this evening before making any comments.

It has never been the case that we do not represent fans and Trust Directors have constantly made it known that they will meet with any individual or group of fans who have concerns on any issues.

Quite simply your voices are heard and your interests are represented by myself at board level.

With regard to the new development let me first tell you that everyone involved will be disappointed to leave Boundary Park. Many hearts and traditions are embedded at the club we all love. But we must move on and the best interests for now and future generation has to be considered.

You will have all read the statements made by the club these past few days and Trust Oldham is totally committed in its support of Oldham Athletic to move forward.

I respect the personal views that some fans have in not favouring the move but I believe that some exciting times are ahead.

Changing circumstances no longer make Boundary Park a feasible option for development and I look at other clubs around the country who are becoming financial stable by moving to new homes. I also believe that the new grounds situation is more suitable in attracting inward investment and the new Metrolink service will also help. The openness and size of the site will bring greater opportunities to the club.

I am aware that some fans feel frustrated that their opinions and views are not always heard. After all you are paying customers and it is right that you feel that you view count.

The Board of Directors at the club have been involved is some very sensitive and delicate negotiations to date and it certainly would not have been pertinent or advisable to make any public statements until now.

I do not think it is a question of consultation but more to do with participation. Again the Directors I work with have never make claim to possessing all the best ideas and are quite open to listen to other initiatives.

In that respect I want to discuss this with the club to assess a practical way in which fans can put ideas forward about the new ground.

In the meantme.

Keep the Faith

Barry

I hope we are involved as much as you suggest we should be.

I think not only me, but other fans will want to be consulted at many stages (obviously not all) of the development process, from the design to the last details.

Fans would appriciate if we were kept in the know about how things are coming along, and what you are actually doing to represent us as a few fans, as you can see on other threads, are questioning.

What methods of consultation are you thinking of using for the fans views, Barry?

I hope we are involved as much as you suggest we should be.

I think not only me, but other fans will want to be consulted at many stages (obviously not all) of the development process, from the design to the last details.

Fans would appriciate if we were kept in the know about how things are coming along, and what you are actually doing to represent us as a few fans, as you can see on other threads, are questioning.

What methods of consultation are you thinking of using for the fans views, Barry?

To be totally frank I think that very little progress would be made if a consultation process as such was held at the number of stages as you might suggest. As with any businees, directors might take the view that its shareholders or customers trust them enough to get on with the job. This is why I mentioned particpation which is something quite different. I would hope to encourage the club to accept e mails or other forms of communication where fans can make some contribution with any idea that they may have that will help in the development process.

Barry

Not seen this mentioned on here yet but as Failsworth Dynamos have merged with Oldham Town could we end up with two other clubs sharing the new stadium?

i.e Latics, Oldham Town and Oldham RL

Edited by mick26

To be totally frank I think that very little progress would be made if a consultation process as such was held at the number of stages as you might suggest. As with any businees, directors might take the view that its shareholders or customers trust them enough to get on with the job. This is why I mentioned particpation which is something quite different. I would hope to encourage the club to accept e mails or other forms of communication where fans can make some contribution with any idea that they may have that will help in the development process.

Barry

I understand your opinion on the consultation matter.

May I ask what you beleive should be done by the trust? You suggested orginally that the trust/fans will be involved, yet you stated that the club will accept e-mails.

The Trust, as the representative or 'middle man' is not involved at all in this method, so what exactly will you be doing from now until the completion?

The Trust, as the representative or 'middle man' is not involved at all in this method, so what exactly will you be doing from now until the completion?

May I turn this one around and ask what you think the trust should be doing? I'm not trying to be flippant, I am genuinely interested.

May I turn this one around and ask what you think the trust should be doing? I'm not trying to be flippant, I am genuinely interested.

Let's face it, the Trust is toothless at this point. It's up to TTA to decide how much say fans have, and I personally hope it isn't alot as depending on who they listen to we could have wildly varying things. Work off the budget, play it simple and we won't go far wrong. Personally I'd like something individual, but would fully understand if they did something exactly the same as another ground.

Understand the views of the fans and implement them into the club?

I dont know the mission statement of the Trust, maybe Barry can clear that up. This seems to be missing on the Trust website.

The question you asked seems an easy one, but is tough to answer. Perhaps I dont know what the Trust is actually there for. People don't seem to know.

Understand the views of the fans and implement them into the club?

I dont know the mission statement of the Trust, maybe Barry can clear that up. This seems to be missing on the Trust website.

The question you asked seems an easy one, but is tough to answer. Perhaps I dont know what the Trust is actually there for. People don't seem to know.

This gives a good overview:

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/TrustOldham/

The main thing is the voice of the fans being represented at Board level, something which clubs without a Trust do not have. Understanding the views of the fans is a given. The Trust Directors are all fans themselves and most travel home and away and are therefore well placed to know what the fans are saying. However, Barry can only take these views forward to the Boardroom. Whether these things are implemented is out of the hands of the Trust because the Trust does not run the football club. We can only hope that all good ideas receive due consideration, wherever they come from.

I think Rick put my concerns well in another thread:

"I'd expect them to be taking the lead here and asking what fans think, feel and want. I haven't seen anything from the Trust about how they would like to collate views in order to be able to represent us fans.

You say that there are a number of Trust board members who post on here regularly - perhaps it would be good for us to know who they are (I presume you are one of the board members?)

As far as Barry Owen is concerned, he seems to be the figurehead (as he holds a seat on the Latics board), but I would honestly have expected some more visible consultation / information than we have seen to date."

OWTB is full of Latics fans who WANT to be involved and get their views heard, understood, and hear from those high up, in this case, Barry.

How often do we see him here, or ackowledge us?

Im not having a rant, as it's not really bothered me before, but when a massive, massive decision of a new ground comes around, I want to see us be heard and have an input.

This gives a good overview:

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/TrustOldham/

The main thing is the voice of the fans being represented at Board level, something which clubs without a Trust do not have. Understanding the views of the fans is a given. The Trust Directors are all fans themselves and most travel home and away and are therefore well placed to know what the fans are saying. However, Barry can only take these views forward to the Boardroom. Whether these things are implemented is out of the hands of the Trust because the Trust does not run the football club. We can only hope that all good ideas receive due consideration, wherever they come from.

Maybe we could hear things back from the Trust.

Brief minutes from board meetings, what the board actually said and how the views were received.

It is stated that the board know what the fans are saying and they put that forward...but how do we know that? Tell us what's going on.

The link you provided me with says they 'provide representation for all members'. Not trying to catch you out here at all, and maybe this isnt a question for you to answer personally, but how has this been done in the past? Im curious.

The link you provided me with says they 'provide representation for all members'. Not trying to catch you out here at all, and maybe this isnt a question for you to answer personally, but how has this been done in the past? Im curious.

Simply by having a fan on the Board. I don't think people fully grasp how precious this is and we certainly didn't have that luxury pre-2004 and neither do many clubs have that luxury. Barry does truly represent the members of the Trust but I also accept that belief is tough without proof. I also accept that the Trust could say more about what goes on and communication is something that can be improved. Having said that, an open invitation was made for people to attend the May 2009 meeting, when Alan Hardy made himself available to answer fans questions. Nobody showed up. Now that there are big things happening, people look to the Trust. That is not a criticism, merely an observation and, as has already been said by Barry, Trust Directors are always available to listen to the views of the fans. I myself will be at Boundary Park later today, Wednesday, next Saturday and the week after...

Simply by having a fan on the Board. I don't think people fully grasp how precious this is and we certainly didn't have that luxury pre-2004 and neither do many clubs have that luxury.

I'm unsure, how precious is it?

It doesn't tell us anything straight from the horses mouth, well it hasn't so far.

It hasn't had a casting vote on anything ever, and probably never will do.

Really, am I missing something, as I like the sentiment, but it just seems a total waste of time, other than a sounding board, which could be done in a variety of methods?

I'm unsure, how precious is it?

It doesn't tell us anything straight from the horses mouth, well it hasn't so far.

It hasn't had a casting vote on anything ever, and probably never will do.

Really, am I missing something, as I like the sentiment, but it just seems a total waste of time, other than a sounding board, which could be done in a variety of methods?

OK, maybe I should have said "precious, in my opinon" because this does come down to personal opinion. Maybe it is one of those immeasurable things i.e. what would happen/have happened if that representation wasn't there. Surely having a fan at board level is more than merely a sounding board though? If we disagree about that then we will never agree on this subject. Which is fine. We both want the same things, success on the pitch and a secure future for the club.

OK, maybe I should have said "precious, in my opinon" because this does come down to personal opinion. Maybe it is one of those immeasurable things i.e. what would happen/have happened if that representation wasn't there. Surely having a fan at board level is more than merely a sounding board though? If we disagree about that then we will never agree on this subject. Which is fine. We both want the same things, success on the pitch and a secure future for the club.

I would suggest that the answer is, "exactly the same." Or am I also missing something? We can talk all year about how Barry can't say this or that bwecause it's confidential, and that is true, butit's pie in the sky to suggest that he has any better idea what the fans would want than any other the owners or Board members and there's no reason to believe he has any influence on any decisions whatsoever. Which might not altogether be a bad thing.

It's time for a new Trust Director on the board. The current representative is unelected by the larger Trust body and the post has never been filled by anyone else since he took the role.

This is not personal, but for the sake of good governance the role should be elected and if not taken by other Directors on a rotating role.

I am sure that the necessary skills are there amongst the committee.

It's time for a new Trust Director on the board. The current representative is unelected by the larger Trust body and the post has never been filled by anyone else since he took the role.

This is not personal, but for the sake of good governance the role should be elected and if not taken by other Directors on a rotating role.

I'm still waiting for a comment on the rebranding/name change issue...

Some would have you believe that ONLY someone like Barry could do it (aka retired). Which is bollox. Its not a full time post. I wish someone would stand who would canvas opinion and take the majority view to the board. Even if you don't agree. That is how I saw the position when it first came up. I don't think this happens at the moment.

Why don't you stand Alec ?

Edited by oafc0000

Some would have you believe that ONLY someone like Barry could do it (aka retired). Which is bollox. Its not a full time post. I wish someone would stand who would canvas opinion and take the majority view to the board. Even if you don't agree. That is how I saw the position when it first came up. I don't think this happens at the moment.

Why don't you stand Alec ?

+ 1

Why do people think that the fans have a right to know everything that goes on within the club? Its up to TTA to decide what happens with the club and its up to them to decide where and what the new stadium will be like. As a club they let the fans know much much more about the goings on within the club than most other clubs, they dont have to tell us anything and the fact that they do is because we have a trust and a representative on the board. My dad was a trust director up until february and he put a lot of work into as im sure all the other directors do too but people do not see what goes on behind the scenes. As someone mentioned above no-one turned up in May when there was an open invitation for people to attend and the clubs cheif exec also made himself available yet nobody could be bothered going. I'm sure the club and/or trust will at some point ask for the fans feedback - and as they read this message board they already have some idea how the fans who use this message board feel about things - but they do not have ask for our feedback, the fact that they probably will shows that they respect the feelings of the clubs fans more than many other clubs do.

If people think they can help the trust or have better ideas than those who are already on the trust then why not contact them, im sure they would welcome the help and input.

Why do people think that the fans have a right to know everything that goes on within the club? Its up to TTA to decide what happens with the club and its up to them to decide where and what the new stadium will be like. As a club they let the fans know much much more about the goings on within the club than most other clubs, they dont have to tell us anything and the fact that they do is because we have a trust and a representative on the board. My dad was a trust director up until february and he put a lot of work into as im sure all the other directors do too but people do not see what goes on behind the scenes. As someone mentioned above no-one turned up in May when there was an open invitation for people to attend and the clubs cheif exec also made himself available yet nobody could be bothered going. I'm sure the club and/or trust will at some point ask for the fans feedback - and as they read this message board they already have some idea how the fans who use this message board feel about things - but they do not have ask for our feedback, the fact that they probably will shows that they respect the feelings of the clubs fans more than many other clubs do.

If people think they can help the trust or have better ideas than those who are already on the trust then why not contact them, im sure they would welcome the help and input.

No one was interested in May as they wanted a fiver admission to railroad people into joining the trust. More people would've been interested if they'd provided a free open invitation. Times are hard for many...

I'm still waiting for a comment on the rebranding/name change issue...

If the Trust had to make a comment on every rumour started, then none of the Directors would have time for a full-time job. The name change thing isn't coming from the TTA, so there is nothing to comment on.

Fans were asked their opinion and invited to march and write to the council by the club over planning permission. If fan input was important then, it's important now. A straw poll on here suggests 3/4 of fans don't want a 4 lego stand aka Colchester.

Edited by Lags