New Stadium

Just found this on Tranmere board.......It appears all is not rosy with regards to a ground relocation!!

The end is nigh

Was the title of this post from a shrewsbury fan that I found on a Chesterfield message board. Read through it if you can be bothered, I think it's a touch on the doom and gloom side but some good points are made which not many true football fans can disagree with. It got me wondering how I would feel if we ever went down the same route...

Good afternoon,

I'm a former Shrewsbury Town supporter and have always enjoyed my visits to Saltergate. Some of you may be wondering why I am here. Why have I, an outsider, taken the time to sign up on your messageboard? Well, ultimately, I am here to warn you. Your new stadium will bring about more harm than good.

I was brought up on the Gay Meadow terraces - a superb, homely ground with a wonderful matchday experience. Like Saltergate, our old stadium was not without its faults; there were large pillars, a dreadful PA system, the food was disgusting and the toilets an absolute disgrace. Despite this, our old home had something special - it had SOUL.

In 2007, we finally moved into our new out-of-town ground. I would like to appear as some sort of martyr that bravely foresaw the dangers of a new stadium but sadly, the reality is different. I naively thought that nothing would ever change and, wherever we played, I would always have a complete passion for my football club. With hindsight however, I was very foolish indeed. The new stadium encapsulates everything I hate about football and its slow evolution into a generic and corporate facade. Despite buying a season-ticket for the first two years at the New Meadow, it struck me half way through last season how much I f**king hated the place and I have since vowed never to return.

I'm aware that many will (rightly) question my status as a ‘true supporter’ in light of this - but I feel it would be best to walk away now with a shred of dignity. Watching football there has become an utterly soul-destroying experience and one which I do not want any part of. The unfortunate reality is that for many of you, the move to a new ground will mark the end of Chesterfield FC as you know it. Gone will be the humour of the terraces and short walks from nearby pubs. The reality of a cold, clinical venue is as inevitable as it is depressing.

I have followed the progress of your new stadium with interest - right from the design phase. I have read with growing dismay supporters demanding, begging and excitedly counting down the days until your soulless new ground is unveiled. If only they knew the reality. Your new stadium, just like ours, will be a horrible place to watch football. First and foremost, there will be no atmosphere due to totalitarian stewards and a lack of a focal point. Any supporters that do attempt to stand and sing will be swiftly cut down. Your stadium will be windswept and often freezing due to the vast open corners. Any little atmosphere that is created by the away supporters will also disappear into the distance. Yes, the novelty appeal of televisions in the bland concourses or an improved steak&kidney pie might satisfy a few at first. You might smile as you take a leak against a shiny new urinal. However, these minor details will rightly pale into insignificance when you make the long hike towards the stadium, or can often hear a pin drop with embarrassing familiarity.

Your club's soul will disappear overnight as you settle into a soulless and generic stadium; totally devoid of any atmosphere or character. You will find attending matches a chore; and even if you win 7-0 (as we did twice last season), you will still leave with a cold and empty feeling. I apologise if I come across as scaremongering, but I've seen this happen before my eyes. Ask Colchester, Arsenal, and even Cardiff fans if you don't believe me. All of them are slowly awakening to the reality that a new stadium is a thoroughly miserable experience and one which supporters often approach with ignorance and total obliviousness. I hope that by warning you, some supporters will know what to expect. Do not look forward your stadium move. Dread it with every fiber of your person.

Enjoy every match and every little patch of Saltergate. Home is where the heart is.

Just found this on Tranmere board.......It appears all is not rosy with regards to a ground relocation!!

The end is nigh

Was the title of this post from a shrewsbury fan that I found on a Chesterfield message board. Read through it if you can be bothered, I think it's a touch on the doom and gloom side but some good points are made which not many true football fans can disagree with. It got me wondering how I would feel if we ever went down the same route...

Good afternoon,

I'm a former Shrewsbury Town supporter and have always enjoyed my visits to Saltergate. Some of you may be wondering why I am here. Why have I, an outsider, taken the time to sign up on your messageboard? Well, ultimately, I am here to warn you. Your new stadium will bring about more harm than good.

I was brought up on the Gay Meadow terraces - a superb, homely ground with a wonderful matchday experience. Like Saltergate, our old stadium was not without its faults; there were large pillars, a dreadful PA system, the food was disgusting and the toilets an absolute disgrace. Despite this, our old home had something special - it had SOUL.

In 2007, we finally moved into our new out-of-town ground. I would like to appear as some sort of martyr that bravely foresaw the dangers of a new stadium but sadly, the reality is different. I naively thought that nothing would ever change and, wherever we played, I would always have a complete passion for my football club. With hindsight however, I was very foolish indeed. The new stadium encapsulates everything I hate about football and its slow evolution into a generic and corporate facade. Despite buying a season-ticket for the first two years at the New Meadow, it struck me half way through last season how much I f**king hated the place and I have since vowed never to return.

I'm aware that many will (rightly) question my status as a ‘true supporter’ in light of this - but I feel it would be best to walk away now with a shred of dignity. Watching football there has become an utterly soul-destroying experience and one which I do not want any part of. The unfortunate reality is that for many of you, the move to a new ground will mark the end of Chesterfield FC as you know it. Gone will be the humour of the terraces and short walks from nearby pubs. The reality of a cold, clinical venue is as inevitable as it is depressing.

I have followed the progress of your new stadium with interest - right from the design phase. I have read with growing dismay supporters demanding, begging and excitedly counting down the days until your soulless new ground is unveiled. If only they knew the reality. Your new stadium, just like ours, will be a horrible place to watch football. First and foremost, there will be no atmosphere due to totalitarian stewards and a lack of a focal point. Any supporters that do attempt to stand and sing will be swiftly cut down. Your stadium will be windswept and often freezing due to the vast open corners. Any little atmosphere that is created by the away supporters will also disappear into the distance. Yes, the novelty appeal of televisions in the bland concourses or an improved steak&kidney pie might satisfy a few at first. You might smile as you take a leak against a shiny new urinal. However, these minor details will rightly pale into insignificance when you make the long hike towards the stadium, or can often hear a pin drop with embarrassing familiarity.

Your club's soul will disappear overnight as you settle into a soulless and generic stadium; totally devoid of any atmosphere or character. You will find attending matches a chore; and even if you win 7-0 (as we did twice last season), you will still leave with a cold and empty feeling. I apologise if I come across as scaremongering, but I've seen this happen before my eyes. Ask Colchester, Arsenal, and even Cardiff fans if you don't believe me. All of them are slowly awakening to the reality that a new stadium is a thoroughly miserable experience and one which supporters often approach with ignorance and total obliviousness. I hope that by warning you, some supporters will know what to expect. Do not look forward your stadium move. Dread it with every fiber of your person.

Enjoy every match and every little patch of Saltergate. Home is where the heart is.

and if things turn round on the pitch and they make it to the champioship in the next few years he will all of a sudden forgive them and a return as a life long fan...YAWN

Edited by palmer1

The end is nigh

Good afternoon,

This message must be drummed home to T4A, we don't want a windy soulless stadium, maybe someone could to start a petiton to the club with a favoured design ?

The end is nigh

Good afternoon,

This can happen if the fans aren't consulted, we owe it to ourselves to communicate with the owners and council not to let this happen. There has to be a clear divide with the corporate facilites, the ordinary fans are as important as they are. Where colchester, Arsenal are pretty soulless Hull, Sunderland & Stoke are not. It's upto the fans not to let the soulless bowl happen.

Gone will be the humour of the terraces.

There will be no atmosphere. Any supporters that do attempt to stand and sing will be swiftly cut down.

Your stadium will be windswept and often freezing.

Any little atmosphere that is created by the away supporters will also disappear into the distance.

Totally devoid of any atmosphere.

You will find attending matches a chore, you will still leave with a cold and empty feeling.

Sounds like Boundary Park. What have we got to lose?

:lol: You're not wrong! I find games a struggle now. All the more reason to make the new stadium better than this.

I'm afraid what he describes is what has gradually happened everywhere since stadia became all seater. He is lucky that his club retained terraces longer than many.

I'm afraid what he describes is what has gradually happened everywhere since stadia became all seater. He is lucky that his club retained terraces longer than many.

nail on the head there mate. what this chap doesnt realise is that its not solely the new ground, its the loss of the terracing which hes feeling. granted, new grounds can be soulless places, but bp is soulless now unless its a big game.

Sounds like BP at the moment...

This message must be drummed home to T4A, we don't want a windy soulless stadium, maybe someone could to start a petiton to the club with a favoured design ?

Erm dont want to rain your parade.......we already have a windy soulless stadium