How many empty seats?

10,638 capacity.

2,989 capacity of big half of RRE

6,918 official attendance

7,649 capacity for Latics fans yesterday

5,318 number of latics fans present yesterday (assuming 1600 county fans as reported elsewhere on the forum)

Therefore......2,331 empty seats in Latics sections.

Personally, i just can't believe that. Sat in the Chaddy, the main stand looked full, the RRE small section may have had 400 empty seats max, leaving 1900 ish seats empty in the chaddy end if the attendance is to be believed? Didn't look anything like that from where i was sat.

I can understand if the club wanted to adjust figures for financial reasons.....but personally i belive the club would benefit far greater by reporting crowds in excess of 8,000 (surely there were at least that number there yesterday) by the manner in which word of mouth travels through pubs, clubs, schools and workplaces "things are on the up at Latics....great atmosphere.....big crowd" etc than by hiding a few bob from the taxman.

Can somebody who was sat in the RRE state how full the CE looked? It would have to be less than half full to make sense of the official attendance reported yesterday.

Barry, how about an official comment?....and release of official numbers per stand?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10,638 capacity.

5,318 number of latics fans present yesterday (assuming 1600 county fans as reported elsewhere on the forum)

Personally, i just can't believe that. Sat in the Chaddy, the main stand looked full, the RRE small section may have had 400 empty seats max, leaving 1900 ish seats empty in the chaddy end if the attendance is to be believed? Didn't look anything like that from where i was sat.

I can understand if the club wanted to adjust figures for financial reasons.....but personally i belive the club would benefit far greater by reporting crowds in excess of 8,000 (surely there were at least that number there yesterday) by the manner in which word of mouth travels through pubs, clubs, schools and workplaces "things are on the up at Latics....great atmosphere.....big crowd" etc than by hiding a few bob from the taxman.

Can somebody who was sat in the RRE state how full the CE looked? It would have to be less than half full to make sense of the official attendance reported yesterday.

Barry, how about an official comment?....and release of official numbers per stand?

The club can't falsify crowd figures-it's illegal.

10,638 capacity.

the chaddy was sparse yesterday the main stand seems to be holding on to it's crowds and the rochdale was pretty busy an accurate figute imo

.... personally i belive the club would benefit far greater by reporting crowds in excess of 8,000 (surely there were at least that number there yesterday) by the manner in which word of mouth travels through pubs, clubs, schools and workplaces "things are on the up at Latics....great atmosphere.....big crowd" etc than by hiding a few bob from the taxman.

I love conspiracy theories and used to believe the old tax-avoidance one, but not since HarryDowd'sGreenShirt produced the evidence to the contrary.

What amuses me is that you are eager to create a situation to impress people in pubs, clubs, schools and workplaces who no doubt have Latics interest at heart, but can't be arsed to attend BP. Why not go the whole way and tell them BP was full? That would really impress them and perhaps ease their collective conscience.

Surely it's better to tell them how abysmal the crowd was and try to get them to come along to join those getting behind the team which is being built in the hope of taking us to the 'promised land'.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

I love conspiracy theories and used to believe the old tax-avoidance one, but not since HarryDowd'sGreenShirt produced the evidence to the contrary.

What amuses me is that you are eager to create a situation to impress people in pubs, clubs, schools and workplaces who no doubt have Latics interest at heart, but can't be arsed to attend BP. Why not go the whole way and tell them BP was full? That would really impress them and perhaps ease their collective conscience.

Surely it's better to tell them how abysmal the crowd was and try to get them to come along to join those getting behind the team which is being built in the hope of taking us to the 'promised land'.

ineresting to see notts county's crowd figure 9000 somethings telling me that some reds have taken to black and white....talkabout glory hunting

ineresting to see notts county's crowd figure 9000 somethings telling me that some reds have taken to black and white....talkabout glory hunting

I doubt it-Nottingham's got a big population. Notts County are potentially quite a big club. In the early seventies they would regularly get crowds in excess of 13-14000 in the Third Division. There might have been some glory hunters there yesterday, but they won't have been from Forest.

I doubt it-Nottingham's got a big population. Notts County are potentially quite a big club. In the early seventies they would regularly get crowds in excess of 13-14000 in the Third Division. There might have been some glory hunters there yesterday, but they won't have been from Forest.

Forest fans have a collective soft spot for Notts, but it's not reciprocated.

As if they'd do it, then deny it and co-operate with fans on features about how crowd figures are calculated, and then go ahead and do it again. It's hardly what you'd call devious, is it?

OK....so where were all the empty seats? Was the CE less than half full? If it was.....fair enough....it's why i asked for a RRE perspective.

so did we without delving into record books was it around seventeen thousand when tony hately made his debut??????

OK....so where were all the empty seats? Was the CE less than half full? If it was.....fair enough....it's why i asked for a RRE perspective.

It's impossible to guess a crowd figure from the number of empty seats there appears to be around the ground.

The Chaddy looked sparsely populated in large parts from where I was sitting.

so did we without delving into record books was it around seventeen thousand when tony hately made his debut??????

We would regularly get over 12000. We never seemed to be able to get more than 18000 for a league game, no matter how important (except when we played ManUre in '75, when we got 26000.) I also recall BP touching 23-24000 against Burnley in the cup when we were still at that level.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Tony Hateley debut against Wreham Sept 1973 Attendance 6966.

Edit: Largest attendance was home to Charlton 18528 Lost 2-0

Edited by Bertie_Dugger

Largest attendance was when we tonked Hudds 6-0 to guarantee promotion was 16466.

Largest attendance in the old Third Division was over 18000 for the second to last games of the season against Charlton, when we needed a point to win the title and blew it by losing 1-0 and had to wait for Plymouth away a few days later. I remember the eerie silence when the Charlton goal went in.

I was crying all the way home on the bus with my dad after the Charlton game.

Without the figures to hand, I'm sure we got about 17000 in the Fourth Division against, I think, Notts County-but that was before my time.

Edit: Largest attendance was home to Charlton 18528 Lost 2-0

just goes to show how pickled my shed is... i thought that he came on as a sub in a evening match,was he was out for ages with dodgy knees ??ah well back for more treatment :grin: :grin:

Definately 2-0

I think I must have been too heartbroken, when it became obvious we were going to lose, to pay attention to the rest of the game.

I was still at junior school but knew enough about football to know when you're watching a game that your team could never win even if they played all night. Latics froze under the big spotlight that evening.

I presumed 'reds' was refering to Man Utd..... Like most places Nottingham is full of that shyte

Also take away the amount the sheets cover for segragation about 4-500 so we are looking at just over 10000 for the maximum capacity.

So that means there were just over 3100 empty seats which seem about right.

Largest attendance in the old Third Division was over 18000 for the second to last games of the season against Charlton, when we needed a point to win the title and blew it by losing 1-0 and had to wait for Plymouth away a few days later. I remember the eerie silence when the Charlton goal went in.

I was crying all the way home on the bus with my dad after the Charlton game.

Without the figures to hand, I'm sure we got about 17000 in the Fourth Division against, I think, Notts County-but that was before my time.

We had over 27000 in Div 4 !! Versus Peterboro in 1960-1 . Exact figure was 27888. I was in Chaddy End when Ken Branagan burst the back of the net - literally - with his penalty.

We had over 27000 in Div 4 !! Versus Peterboro in 1960-1 . Exact figure was 27888. I was in Chaddy End when Ken Branagan burst the back of the net - literally - with his penalty.

I know. I was referring to the period I can remember, though.

Nearly 28000. Where did all these people come from? And then disappear to?

Edit: I can just about remember 1970-71, but didn't start attending BP until 1972-73.

Edited by Corporal_Jones