How many empty seats?

i blame it on technology no mobile phone bills sky bills x box live bills trainers bills ..all my mam ever forked out was a few quid for me watching the latics...oh and an occasional scarf ...they never had it so good in the seventees ...and proper babycham not cheap cider :grin: :grin: :grin:

Plus, admission charges are such a larger part of everybody's income now. It was easy for a City or United fan to take in the big promotion clash at BP when it was only 45p to get in. £20-plus isn't comparable.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was that Blackpool game when some Latics fans got chucked out? Never did find out what all that was about.

Wasn't that the lovely sunny September day, drew 2-2 and Tommy Wright were playing for us in his second spell? Latics fans were in the home end that day (as was I), and I think when Blackpool scored it started to get quite colourful. I kept my mouth shut as there was idiots for both sides going at it.

Southport away, Easter 1974, was similar. Almost 10000 in their tiny ground, and more than two-thirds from Oldham.

Wasn't that a great weekend. We beat Southport 6-0 at home on Friday, title rivals (and champions in their own minds) Bristol Rovers away on Saturday and Southport away on the Monday. Seems like yesterday.

Just as a post script, we met Jack Charlton at a petrol station on the way to Southport on the Monday. He was driving three or four of his Middlesbro' players to their away game at Tranmere. Doubt you'd get that now.

Wasn't that a great weekend. We beat Southport 6-0 at home on Friday, title rivals (and champions in their own minds) Bristol Rovers away on Saturday and Southport away on the Monday. Seems like yesterday.

Quite possibly the best weekend ever to be a Latics fan.

The Second Division title winner against Wednesday was great, of course, as was the Southampton game that kept us in the top flight, but never has a Latics side seemed quite as invincible (or it seemed that way to a junior school kid.) That's why Charlton at home was such a shock.

Wasn't that the lovely sunny September day, drew 2-2 and Tommy Wright were playing for us in his second spell? Latics fans were in the home end that day (as was I), and I think when Blackpool scored it started to get quite colourful. I kept my mouth shut as there was idiots for both sides going at it.

I couldn't see what was going on from where I was, but it seemed like loads were being ejected from the ground.

yeah, it was carnage - loads of blues locked out and large pockets in the home end as well as the crumbling away end that was woefully inadequate and a disaster waiting to happen with its limited crush barriers and loosed clumps of concrete. A large proportion of latics fans arrived just before kick off and it was a miracle that a tragedy was averted.

Quite possibly the best weekend ever to be a Latics fan.

The Second Division title winner against Wednesday was great, of course, as was the Southampton game that kept us in the top flight, but never has a Latics side seemed quite as invincible (or it seemed that way to a junior school kid.) That's why Charlton at home was such a shock.

I'm starting to understand why you are so gloomy as to where the club finds itself today. I'm guessing you are late 40s early 50s, grew up watching Fyatt and Shaw. You were blessed with seeing the flair of Groves and Stainrod, along with the power of Lochead - two promotions in the 70s and the great Latics stalwarts of the late 70s early 80s. Then add in the great football and success of the late 80s and early 90s then compare that to the last 15 years - must be demoralising when the realisation that even mid-table mediocrity in the Championshio is little more than a pipe dream. Don't blame you for being fed up with all things Latics!

I'm starting to understand why you are so gloomy as to where the club finds itself today. I'm guessing you are late 40s early 50s, grew up watching Fyatt and Shaw. You were blessed with seeing the flair of Groves and Stainrod, along with the power of Lochead - two promotions in the 70s and the great Latics stalwarts of the late 70s early 80s. Then add in the great football and success of the late 80s and early 90s then compare that to the last 15 years - must be demoralising when the realisation that even mid-table mediocrity in the Championshio is little more than a pipe dream. Don't blame you for being fed up with all things Latics!

For me, 1973 and 1974 were the best years to be a Latics fan. A championship, a cracking team, big crowds, a cup run and it all culminated with a 1-0 win against M*n U*d in Decmber '74.

I know that the late '80's and early '90's were fantastic times but, as an eleven year old at the time, 73/74 takes some beating!

46 last birthday. Never saw Fryatt play , but the rest it is exactly right. Those memories are what make me still turn up at BP. As with a lot of people, I would imagine.

enjoyed reading this topic, being only 20 years of age my best games are like leeds away and everton away, some of your memories put them to shame i just wish i could have lived some of them times.

enjoyed reading this topic, being only 20 years of age my best games are like leeds away and everton away, some of your memories put them to shame i just wish i could have lived some of them times.

It wasn't all glamorous in those days! I seem to remember one game where the Chron reported a game where manager Jimmy McLroy had to use the ball he bought his son for Christmas as the boxing day match ball, as the club had run out of decent match balls.