How many empty seats?

I presumed 'reds' was refering to Man Utd..... Like most places Nottingham is full of that shyte

Latics used to attract plenty of reds, and City fans, for big games in the seventies. I can remember getting on the bus in Picadilly to go up to Latics after visiting Mancunian relatives on Saturday mornings and it filling up with people on their way to BP as early as Miles Platting. We still got this in the 'pinch me' years to some extent.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Latics used to attract plenty of reds, and City fans, for big games in the seventies. I can remember getting on the bus in Picadilly to go up to Latics after visiting Mancunian relatives on Saturday mornings and it filling up with people on their way to BP as early as Miles Platting. We still got this in the 'pinch me' years to some extent.

i blame it on technology no mobile phone bills sky bills x box live bills trainers bills ..all my mam ever forked out was a few quid for me watching the latics...oh and an occasional scarf ...they never had it so good in the seventees ...and proper babycham not cheap cider :grin: :grin: :grin:

We had over 27000 in Div 4 !! Versus Peterboro in 1960-1 . Exact figure was 27888. I was in Chaddy End when Ken Branagan burst the back of the net - literally - with his penalty.

27,866 to be excatly exact.. B)

I've never really understood why the attendance was so much bigger than other home games tbh...this is the season we went on a 10 games winning streak, but the peterboro game was after this run had come to an end...interestingly, 1st game of the season, home to Northampton a gate of 8929 and last game of the season, 6600 home to Crewe...

all pails to insignificance, with the 41,733 for Liverpool at BP the following year in the 4th round of the FA cup.. :shock:

We would regularly get over 12000. We never seemed to be able to get more than 18000 for a league game, no matter how important (except when we played ManUre in '75, when we got 26000.) I also recall BP touching 23-24000 against Burnley in the cup when we were still at that level.

The U*d game was December 1974. And the Burnley game was January/February of the same year. I was at both. I was also at the Charlton match mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Great days. : )

I've never really understood why the attendance was so much bigger than other home games tbh...this is the season we went on a 10 games winning streak, but the peterboro game was after this run had come to an end...interestingly, 1st game of the season, home to Northampton a gate of 8929 and last game of the season, 6600 home to Crewe...

all pails to insignificance, with the 41,733 for Liverpool at BP the following year in the 4th round of the FA cup.. :shock:

My Dad brought my Mum home two days early from their honeymoon to atten that game! :lol:

Also didn't we get 24,000 against City in the Mid Eighties?

Back on topic, I sit in the main stand these days and there were lots of empty seats in the chaddy.

The U*d game was December 1974. And the Burnley game was January/February of the same year. I was at both. I was also at the Charlton match mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Great days. : )

Boxing day (literally as well) 1975, 25k+ at BP against Bolton, won 2 -1.....David Shaw brace...happy days... :grin:

What was the attendance for the WBA promotion match in '77? '78?

There must have been 20,000+ that day. Most of whom came from West Brom.

75/76 season,over 22K, probably about 17K + being West Brom, I can still remember looking from the Chaddy acoss to the old RRE and just seeing a mass of green and yellow..I still thank God results elsewhere went their way that day... :lol:

Edited by downender2

wasn't york city the in place in them day's ..seem to remember for some strange reason every man and his dog went to that game

very happy days :grin: :grin:

was still a bit young to be going away on me tod....following season did a few mind...including Liverpool away in the cup...we lost, got battered and had me weeks pocket money and me scarf nicked :disappointed: ...happy days.. :lol:

was still a bit young to be going away on me tod....following season did a few mind...including Liverpool away in the cup...we lost, got battered and had me weeks pocket money and me scarf nicked :disappointed: ...happy days.. :lol:

hahah liverpool went in my mates car some scally asked for a few bob to look after his car ...big mistake telling him to fcuk off ... let two of his tyres down

:grin:

75/76 season,over 22K, probably about 17K + being West Brom, I can still remember looking from the Chaddy acoss to the old RRE and just seeing a mass of green and yellow..I still thank God results elsewhere went their way that day... :lol:

yeah,remember that game well...was it tony brown got the only goal and they got promoted that day,,,

my mum had a jasper carrot lp were he tells a funny story about that game

wasn't york city the in place in them day's ..seem to remember for some strange reason every man and his dog went to that game

very happy days :grin: :grin:

York away in April '74 was a memorable occasion. The draw meant that York were promoted along with us but the biggest cheer of the day came when the result from Old Trafford filtered through. : )

We didn't take quite as many to Cambridge in '84(?) but the joy of hearing that C*ty had lost to Luton was on a par.

York away in April '74 was a memorable occasion. The draw meant that York were promoted along with us but the biggest cheer of the day came when the result from Old Trafford filtered through. : )

We didn't take quite as many to Cambridge in '84(?) but the joy of hearing that C*ty had lost to Luton was on a par.

That York away game was a fantastic day out ... the Cron were giving daily updates on coach bookings, but stopped when we got to over 50 coaches (imagine that today!) .. and every other car and coach all the way from Oldham to York was going to the match! (At least that's how I remember it from the haze of 35 year old memories). Anyone know what the actual attendance was?

That York away game was a fantastic day out ... the Cron were giving daily updates on coach bookings, but stopped when we got to over 50 coaches (imagine that today!) .. and every other car and coach all the way from Oldham to York was going to the match! (At least that's how I remember it from the haze of 35 year old memories). Anyone know what the actual attendance was?

Just looked it up for you. 15829

It was the season of Bobby Johnstone's arrival of course (17000 plus for his first appearance) but this was a special match that caught everyone's imagination. Peterboro, first season in the league, were storming away . I think they scored 134 goals that season and it was built up as a real test for Latics. Of course admission was cheaper both absoulutely and relatively - the Liverpool game the following season with that attendance of over 41000 produced just over £7000 in gate receipts!

By the way, the day following the Peterboro game there was another 20,000 plus crowd at Boundary Park - for a TV All Stars charity match!

Southport away, Easter 1974, was similar. Almost 10000 in their tiny ground, and more than two-thirds from Oldham.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

It was the season of Bobby Johnstone's arrival of course (17000 plus for his first appearance) but this was a special match that caught everyone's imagination. Peterboro, first season in the league, were storming away . I think they scored 134 goals that season and it was built up as a real test for Latics. Of course admission was cheaper both absoulutely and relatively - the Liverpool game the following season with that attendance of over 41000 produced just over £7000 in gate receipts!

By the way, the day following the Peterboro game there was another 20,000 plus crowd at Boundary Park - for a TV All Stars charity match!

much obliged, Pete

Southport away, Easter 1974, was similar. Almost 10000 in their tiny ground, and more than two-thirds from Oldham.

Wigan away Easter 2003 was mad, they claimed there was only 4,000 Latics fans there that day, that stand holds far more than that and people were stood in the aisles. Mind, that Brenda Spencer is a daft biased bitch anyway. The figures were definitely manipulated that day. Oh and how many did we take to Blackpool in '97 - Latics fans were everywhere!?

Edited by oafcprozac

In the paper that morning Alan Groves had said, 'Tell the Bolton lads not to worry, we'll see West Brom off, no problem,' or words to that effect. Bolton needed a win and other results to go their way to gain promotion. I seem to remember they won 4-0, or 4-1 as well.

Wigan away Easter 2003 was mad, they claimed there was only 4,000 Latics fans there that day, that stand holds far more than that and people were stood in the aisles. Mind, that Brenda Spencer is a daft biased bitch anyway. The figures were definitely manipulated that day. Oh and how many did we take to Blackpool in '97 - Latics fans were everywhere!?

Was that Blackpool game when some Latics fans got chucked out? Never did find out what all that was about.