Panorama, BBC1 8:30pm tonight

garcon

Essential viewing tonight, if only to check whether you were caught on camera being a drunken arse.... :wink:

Seriously, this could be interesting in a number of ways including how it portrays Oldham and how an Oldham Council initiative might work and may be copied elsewhere.

Always good to be seen as a pioneer, even if it is in relation to one of the town's biggest problems...

Essential viewing tonight, if only to check whether you were caught on camera being a drunken arse.... :wink:

Seriously, this could be interesting in a number of ways including how it portrays Oldham and how an Oldham Council initiative might work and may be copied elsewhere.

Always good to be seen as a pioneer, even if it is in relation to one of the town's biggest problems...

Felt it put the town in a bit of a bad light to be honest. I wont deny that bad things can happen to you on a night out in oldham and its not absolutely fantastic but ive happened to go out a number of times and enjoyed myself and never once felt the need to kick off and have never once been invovled in a fight. Ive seen fights, sure, i just feel the programme potrays people as taking a massive risk venturing out into oldham when i feel its not as bad as that surely?? maybe im part of only a few to have never been involved in fights or anything in oldham, be interesting to hear other folks views.

Oh yeah an that post office style queue system being tested, theres clearly an effort to try something to crack down, but i dont feel that will work in a million years! queue in a line to get in, queue in a line to get a drink, what next queue in a line to get on the dancefloor and to get a seat!

Edited by Oafc88

I've been following the media hype about binge drinking and alcohol-fueled violence, particularly the stories relating to Oldham, for a while...it's just the in thing for the media to cover at the moment. Load of sensationalised :censored:e. Stick a camera anywhere for a few nights and you're bound to pick up on a bit of action....by the way, that taxi marshall - now he could fight !! Go on lad. Ha ha

I think Oldham is safer these days...since they closed the road off and got police and taxi marshals permanently stationed it seems to have become a bit less of a free-for-all. You've still got plenty of clowns knocking about but you can avoid 'em 99.9% of the time. Most of these violent incidents are occurring between willing people. If you want a fight in Oldham you can be sure it won't take long for somebody to oblige. But it's no worse or better than many other northern towns that have 5k drunkards descending upon it on a weekend night.

I do think something needs to be done to cut down on the amount of violence though. The reputation sadly becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy as people hear about Oldham's rep it attracts those who like a bit of trouble...two of the last mass brawls in Oldham centre I have read about have shown in the paper that people from Manchester have been involved - these are just young thugs who've come up looking for a fight in a town where they know they're likely to get it.

I'm not sure these council suggestions/threats are the way forward though. People will just drink more before they go out. Queues will cause agitation and fights, and put people off visiting the bars full stop - which is actually what I think the council wants to some degree...They want to concentrate on the coliseum and restaurants rather than cheap bars and takeaways.

My group of 20 or so friends are regularly in Oldham and have been for 10 years or more, and they never seem to get involved in any serious trouble.

It's hardly just Northern towns either. Croydon town centre at closing time is a sight to behold, same as any number of places (of course Balham is a much classier affair, hence I left Croydon to Zorrro moved her). It is a load of crap talking about, "binge drinking," a phrase which a few years ago meant drinking 9 bottles of Mad Dog in a happy hour and now means 3 glasses of wine at home over an evening. People always went out and got totally wankered, and some had fights. I think it is more concentrated in town centres now and certainly youngsters are a bit more fighty than they were on average, but the only effect of these laws will be to further kill the pub business.

It was better than I expected really. It was noticeable that they were commenting on Oldham but it didn't feel like they were having a go at it. More at the licensing laws and the cost of booze which I would probably agree with.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

It's hardly just Northern towns either. Croydon town centre at closing time is a sight to behold, same as any number of places (of course Balham is a much classier affair, hence I left Croydon to Zorrro moved her). It is a load of crap talking about, "binge drinking," a phrase which a few years ago meant drinking 9 bottles of Mad Dog in a happy hour and now means 3 glasses of wine at home over an evening. People always went out and got totally wankered, and some had fights. I think it is more concentrated in town centres now and certainly youngsters are a bit more fighty than they were on average, but the only effect of these laws will be to further kill the pub business.

Though as they were saying in the prog, if they aren't able to turned down a license of a bar because there are already too many bars, it doesn't do the original bars any good and they can only really compete on price.

Though as they were saying in the prog, if they aren't able to turned down a license of a bar because there are already too many bars, it doesn't do the original bars any good and they can only really compete on price.

It costs a frigging fortune to drink out these days, I wish pubs would compete on price! So much of it goes on tax anyway they have limited ability to of course. Fewer, packed full bars with higher prices won't automatically cut trouble out, as yard dog says if it's £5 a drink and you have to queue an hour for it, you can bet your boots people will appear it town at 11.30 and be steaming from the second they arrive, rather than easing into it with drinks round the pubs.

It costs a frigging fortune to drink out these days, I wish pubs would compete on price! So much of it goes on tax anyway they have limited ability to of course. Fewer, packed full bars with higher prices won't automatically cut trouble out, as yard dog says if it's £5 a drink and you have to queue an hour for it, you can bet your boots people will appear it town at 11.30 and be steaming from the second they arrive, rather than easing into it with drinks round the pubs.

But then they started talking about how they can crack down on shops selling alcohol so cheaply!

Homebrew it is then! :wink:

That's one of my favourite phrases on the internets.

Because it invariably means, "what I'm about to type sounds like bullsh*t, looks like bullsh*t and smells like bullsh*t" ... :wink:

And yet in this case is completely true. The daughter of one of Mrs Anchor's colleagues was on the show. The fee? £50 plus drinks.

And yet in this case is completely true. The daughter of one of Mrs Anchor's colleagues was on the show. The fee? £50 plus drinks.

If I wasn't looking out for it I would have been unsure but when you actually look at the programme you can tell. They filmed them outside the Tesco's in Castleton, (not the Oldham one) the exterior of the house where I presume they lived looked like it was on Rochdale Road (Bury's Rochdale Road), somewhere around what I would call Bamford, and they had more of a Rochdale accent than an Oldham one. Considering the cost of a taxi from there to Oldham compared to Rochdale/Bury I doubt anyone from there would go out in Oldham regularly unless they knew someone who was. The footage in Asda looked more like the Asda at Pilsworth than the ones in Oldham, (I think it even showed someone that drinks in my Dad's local who was recently deceased).

Having said that it still doesn't take away from the fact that although Oldham was featured it could have been any town in the UK, where there is essentially one drinking street for a night out. Clubs and Bars (essentially anywhere that serves alcohol) have the right of refusal of entry and the right not to serve anyone alcohol because they believe them to be intoxicated. Yet for all their bleating on the programme how many of the licencee's were saying one thing and doing the other. Cheap drinks promotions may mean that people are getting drunk for cheaper but it still means they are getting drunk, if the bars/clubs/wherever actually stopped serving people because they've had enough then a lot of the problems might stop.

Another idea is that if you are going to put a minimum price on alcohol (essentially putting the price up of stuff of poor quality) everywhere, but people complain that their at home casual drinking is affected then why don't they make it only availible at certain times in supermarkets and the like, i.e. not on a Friday and Saturday night. That way those people who aren't 'pre-loading' won't be as affected as much.

Didn't see the programme myself, but I'm reliably informed that the 'local' girls featured hail from the better parts of Rochdale, and wouldn't go out in Oldham if (well, UNLESS actually) you paid them. All staged by the producers.

That section of the programme was always going to be staged. They simply wanted to highlight the fact that alot of people who go on nights out, start by drinking alcohol bought dirt cheap from supermarkets. They probably didnt go anywhere near Oldham - though you can guarentee they certainly wouldnt have gone dogdale as an alternative. :grin:

Oldham's far safer than it was seven years ago for a night out.

Having said that it still doesn't take away from the fact that although Oldham was featured it could have been any town in the UK, where there is essentially one drinking street for a night out.

Whilst you could have picked a Rochdale, an Ashton, a Runcorn or a Romford that just isn't true.

Another idea is that if you are going to put a minimum price on alcohol (essentially putting the price up of stuff of poor quality) everywhere, but people complain that their at home casual drinking is affected then why don't they make it only availible at certain times in supermarkets and the like, i.e. not on a Friday and Saturday night. That way those people who aren't 'pre-loading' won't be as affected as much.

Reasonable idea. Why not just outlaw alchohol as with other, less harmful drugs?

:blink:

:wink: