FC United new stadium proposals

According to reports Football Club United of Manchester is planning to launch an open tender to find designers or architects to create its first stadium and club facilities later this year.

The interior design group’s plans include an ‘expandable’, 7000-capacity stadium constructed from recycled freight containers and featuring roof-mounted solar panels.

Rumours suggest the site will not be very far from the new Latics proposed stadium in Failsworth, and quite close to Eastlands home of Manchester City.

If this comes to fruition and FC United and Latics have stadiums only a couple of miles or so from each other does anyone think this may have some impact on Latics gates, particularly if FC United do well and achieve their aim of league fooball ?

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a bit of a worry but I honestly cant see anyone from Oldham or Failsworth being all that arsed to go watch FC United. Specially if they already cant be arsed watching Oldham or City...

The floating fans might (and a there's probably a few thousand of them) if Latics are doing badly and FC United do well.

It's these floating fans Latics need to win over.

Impact on potential new Latics fans in the Failsworth area .... do you want to watch non-league or League One?

It's clear FC United are very ambitious and intend to be in the football league within a few years, thats when an impact may be made on the floating fan.

Also it's been some Failsworth people consider themselves a part of Manchester, so wouldn't FC United attract their support rather than Latics ?

Edited by BP1960

And I'm sure a few floaters will end up there. Personally, I think FC United goes against everything that non- and lower league football exists for.

They do... Since they have been set up they are no better than the normal united... Flogging DVDs etc at every avilable opportunity etc...

Look at there website / shop... Million miles away from "non league" as a entity...

Impact on existing Latics fans = 0.

Impact on potential new Latics fans in the Failsworth area .... do you want to watch non-league or League One?

I think the losers would be FC United.

We need to get our ground built first though.

or...

would you go to see the club playing 3rd division football ,who have done nowt for 15 years,for £20+?

would you see a club with recent success,on the up,grassroots belongings and in a traditional area,for £10?

which club will gain more popularity in the areas mentioned?

they even get crowds to rival 4th division teams,it'll be latics next...and maybe in the same division in 5 or so years?

they have the money,they have the backers,they have the support,they have a feeling of unity.

and latics?

They do... Since they have been set up they are no better than the normal united... Flogging DVDs etc at every avilable opportunity etc...

Look at there website / shop... Million miles away from "non league" as a entity...

and whats wrong with that?

its called ambition..

shame latics don't learn from people like that.

And I'm sure a few floaters will end up there. Personally, I think FC United goes against everything that non- and lower league football exists for.

I wonder if the Colonel thinks FC United have the sort of ambition he feels Latics haven't, and will they be a threat if the grounds are so close ?

its called ambition..

What is wrong with that...

From my point of view nothing...

From the point of view the club was a break away to give the club back to the fans, to stop seeing fans as just customers etc.... Everything...

I never agreed with them breaking away... It was all about greed / opportunity... To be successful they will have to become United which blows up their reason for existing surely...

Edited by oafc0000

I wonder if the Colonel thinks FC United have the sort of ambition he feels Latics haven't, and will they be a threat if the grounds are so close ?

Well the corps argument is that a 12000 seater stadium indicates our intention is to become a well run lower league club, with the potential for expansion counting for jack s**t as we have decided on that capacity with the anticipation we will never need to increase it, apparently

So by the same logic, FC united are building a 7k seater stadium (the fact that its an expandable stadium counts for nothing), so their hoping to be a well run conference club at best?

its called ambition..

But surely you can see that that ambition is linked to the fact that people actually go to watch them. They get similar crowds to us right down the non-league!! If no one watched them they would not be making their way up so quickly. They would have stagnated. If a few more people in Oldham actually came out and backed the club by attending games I am pretty sure you would see more ambition from us. Its all very well saying oh if we got in the Championship or Premiership they would come flocking back. Maybe so. But if they came and watched us now instead of waiting on the off chance we sneak a promotion on a small budget we actually see the club moving forward.

Obviosuly this is rant is not aimed at you! I guess as a regular poster on here you are one of the converted:) I wish someone could wave a magic wand and get an extra couple of thousand down to BP.

So by the same logic, FC united are building a 7k seater stadium (the fact that its an expandable stadium counts for nothing), so their hoping to be a well run conference club at best?

Make no mistake FC United's ambitions lie far beyond non league, and if in the football league with such an expected fan base it would not surprise me if a 16,000 capacity was required.

Edited by BP1960

Make no mistake FC United's ambitions lie far beyond non league, and if in the football league with such an expected fan base it would not surprise me if a 16,000 capacity was required.

Oh have no doubts about that mate but the q was asking what the corp would think?

I merely applied his logic to the FC united stadium which is

- The capacity of a new stadium is a statement of intent

- The capacity of a new stadium is decided based on the assumption that you wil never have to expand it, hence it is irrelevant whether the stadium is designed as expandable as it wont happen

Hence by the corps logic, FC Uniteds aim is to be a well run conference/league two club at best.

Oh have no doubts about that mate but the q was asking what the corp would think?

I merely applied his logic to the FC united stadium which is

- The capacity of a new stadium is a statement of intent

- The capacity of a new stadium is decided based on the assumption that you wil never have to expand it, hence it is irrelevant whether the stadium is designed as expandable as it wont happen

Hence by the corps logic, FC Uniteds aim is to be a well run conference/league two club at best.

But FC United seem to have an aura of going on to greater things, which appears to me he doesn't think Latics have.

But FC United seem to have an aura of going on to greater things, which appears to me he doesn't think Latics have.

I was working with an FC United fan recently. He things they may well stagnate at the conference level. He said so far they have had it their own way, their crowds have allowed them to quickly build a successful team. When they get to the conference they will be competing on a more level playing field and he saif he could see a lot of fans drifting away if they struggled to make an impact for a few years.

I was working with an FC United fan recently. He things they may well stagnate at the conference level. He said so far they have had it their own way, their crowds have allowed them to quickly build a successful team. When they get to the conference they will be competing on a more level playing field and he saif he could see a lot of fans drifting away if they struggled to make an impact for a few years.

Aye, once a glory hunter, always a glory hunter!!!

I think the same has happened to AFC Wimbledon, they pateau'd for a while. Got to Conf now, good for them.

But FCUM has not got the history of AFCW.

Would be interesting to knwo where the FCUM fanvase is from. how many from Bury area, how many from Newton Heath, and where else

Again, using the corps logic, why not build a stadium larger than 7k as a statement of intent if this was the case?

Like I said, fully agree with yourself, and I think FC united will be in league two sooner rather than later.

But by the corps logic building a new stadium of only a 7k capacity indicates their intention is to be nothing more than a well run league 2/conf club, the fact that it is being built for expansion is irrelevant as a capacity of 7k is decided with the anticipation of never needing to expand it.

By my logic (and many others) chances are they may need more than 7k in future but 7k caters for their needs now, and building with expansion in mind allows for future growth should they reach a point.

My logic applies to latics too. Although admittedly we probably wont need more than 12k for a long long time, and chances are FC united are more likely to need expansion than us at a future date, the fact that the design allows for expansion, regardless of whether it will happen or not, caters for potential future growth.

Again, using the corps logic, why not build a stadium larger than 7k as a statement of intent if this was the case?

Like I said, fully agree with yourself, and I think FC united will be in league two sooner rather than later.

But by the corps logic building a new stadium of only a 7k capacity indicates their intention is to be nothing more than a well run league 2/conf club, the fact that it is being built for expansion is irrelevant as a capacity of 7k is decided with the anticipation of never needing to expand it.

By my logic (and many others) chances are they may need more than 7k in future but 7k caters for their needs now, and building with expansion in mind allows for future growth should they reach a point.

My logic applies to latics too. Although admittedly we probably wont need more than 12k for a long long time, and chances are FC united are more likely to need expansion than us at a future date, the fact that the design allows for expansion, regardless of whether it will happen or not, caters for potential future growth.

Why are you so obsessed with what the Corp thinks?