September 1st 2001

John Achterberg plays the ball to his centre-half Rueben Hazell no pressure on him he starts to bring the ball out of defence - he slips giving posession to Oldham's Darren Sheridan who sublimely chips the stranded Achterberg.

The guy's got form of being completely :censored:e, I lost count of how many times he was well out of position yesterday by being attacted to the ball on the flank. He did the same at Millwall for the second goal. The guy is a liability. Put a kid there, a traffic cone or even a stick of celery - they'd drop less bollocks. Oh and starting to agree with a few about Gregan - clears it yes, every time but never to a blue shirt, which means the opposition coming back onto us time after time.

John Thompson and Mark Arber were villified for a handful of mistakes, Hazell is doing it week after week something needs to be done and quick.

John Achterberg plays the ball to his centre-half Rueben Hazell no pressure on him he starts to bring the ball out of defence - he slips giving posession to Oldham's Darren Sheridan who sublimely chips the stranded Achterberg.

The guy's got form of being completely :censored:e, I lost count of how many times he was well out of position yesterday by being attacted to the ball on the flank. He did the same at Millwall for the second goal. The guy is a liability. Put a kid there, a traffic cone or even a stick of celery - they'd drop less bollocks. Oh and starting to agree with a few about Gregan - clears it yes, every time but never to a blue shirt, which means the opposition coming back onto us time after time.

John Thompson and Mark Arber were villified for a handful of mistakes, Hazell is doing it week after week something needs to be done and quick.

Was just commented to the old man how it's really strange how someone can go from the model of consistancy to a complete liability in the space of 12 months.

I never went yesterday, but by all accounts he had a pretty solid game aside from the slip which led to their 2nd goal. It sounds as what we're missing is some credible competition for both Gregan and Hazell. In all honesty, we're significantly weaker at the back than last season and it needs sorting fast.

Was just commented to the old man how it's really strange how someone can go from the model of consistancy to a complete liability in the space of 12 months.

I never went yesterday, but by all accounts he had a pretty solid game aside from the slip which led to their 2nd goal. It sounds as what we're missing is some credible competition for both Gregan and Hazell. In all honesty, we're significantly weaker at the back than last season and it needs sorting fast.

Since getting his contract 'Roobs' has been in the comfort zone, ok everyone slips BUT HE RECOVERED then mystifyingly sends a nonchalant flick back towards Brill with three red shirts around him. If I'd had a gun I would of shot him, that's how pissed off I was at his ineptness!

Since getting his contract 'Roobs' has been in the comfort zone, ok everyone slips BUT HE RECOVERED then mystifyingly sends a nonchalant flick back towards Brill with three red shirts around him. If I'd had a gun I would of shot him, that's how pissed off I was at his ineptness!

Yeah, I saw the goal. Agreed it was terrible, but I do think rather than reverting to a bullet in the back of his napper he just needs a little bit of time out of the firing line, and something to get that hunger back in him. He's not an awful all-round defender at all, not like Arber who was just dire in every way.

He needs competition.

I just cannot believe that DP hasnt addressed this situation already. It has been plainly obvious throughout pre-season and the start of the current season that we need cover at CB. Yes DP probably knows a lot more about football than us.......so why then can he not see that Hazell is a liability and that we need someone in to partner Greegs. How many more stupid goals are we going to give away before something is done about it? Im not at BP till the Saints game now so i hope this has been sorted by then!

When I read the name of the post "September 1st 2001" - I honestly thought you were going to talk about the ref that day and how bad he was. Mick Fletcher. The throw in decision with about 20 to go. I nearly exploded I was so angry.

When I read the name of the post "September 1st 2001" - I honestly thought you were going to talk about the ref that day and how bad he was. Mick Fletcher. The throw in decision with about 20 to go. I nearly exploded I was so angry.

I was also p***ed off that day. I sort of calmed down and cheered up a couple of hours later whilst watching the England game though.

"Never" is harsh but I'm glad you have seen the light.

This one has started to come out of the woodwork hasn't it? Greegs starts off the season collecting MOTM awards, yet is now criticised because we don't win the 2nd ball he invariably creates.

He heads it high and away, what more do you want? Maybe he should try to steam out of the defence, bring it down on his chest, dribble past everybody and score.....

Anybody else notice he held his hands up after that loose pass to Gilbert yesterday?

I was also p***ed off that day. I sort of calmed down and cheered up a couple of hours later whilst watching the England game though.

I was on a stag do that day, as the 3 and 4 England goals went in a very fit naked bird was thrashing first the stag and then the best man's arses with the buckles on their belts while random punters held them down. I have only happy memories of the day.

As for Rubes, he obviously had the best form of his career after signing for us, if he had always been that good he wouldn't have come from a relegated Chesterfield. It is clearly a mistake not having another potential first choice CB anyway. I can't get my head around people slating Gregan can clearing everything out though when the same people dread anything coming near Rueben or Brill.

This one has started to come out of the woodwork hasn't it? Greegs starts off the season collecting MOTM awards, yet is now criticised because we don't win the 2nd ball he invariably creates.

He heads it high and away, what more do you want?

Anybody else notice he held his hands up after that loose pass to Gilbert yesterday?

He heads the ball most of the time to the opposition and therefore it does not relieve the pressure. He avoids this either by passing to the keeper or by hoofing the ball into touch.

On the rare occasion yesteday he tried a constructive pass, it went haywire, which he acknowledged.

However, when we play Leeds, he is at his majestic best. Why is that? You tell me.

Yesterday, for the first time since Kettering, he connected a header from one of our corners which went wide. If he keeps doing that he is bound to score.

He heads the ball most of the time to the opposition and therefore it does not relieve the pressure. He avoids this either by passing to the keeper or by hoofing the ball into touch.

On the rare occasion yesteday he tried a constructive pass, it went haywire, which he acknowledged.

:petesake:

What a load of codswallop.

The headers we speak of usually result in 50/50's, this being because they are in the air so long. Greegs puts a foot on it whenever he can, and probably the best pass of the game yesterday was his 50/60 yarder to Parker on the touchline, which, I think, came after he jinked past the striker closing him down. When he hoofs/heads it clear he's doing his primary job, defending, in a way which ought to result in fewer of these blunders he's apparently so prone too.

These recent comments about Gregan begger belief, and I'm surprised they come from people who I gather watch a lot of football and know their stuff, i.e yourself, BB80 and Prozac.

Axe to grind methinks. I'm happy that people who have watched even more football (Sheridan, Royle and now Penney) seem to share my point of view. I also notice nobody has taken issue with Harry Dowd's pro Gregan comments on another thread, for some reason.

The headers we speak of usually result in 50/50's, this being because they are in the air so long. Greegs puts a foot on it whenever he can, and probably the best pass of the game yesterday was his 50/60 yarder to Parker on the touchline, which, I think, came after he jinked past the striker closing him down. When he hoofs/heads it clear he's doing his primary job, defending, in a way which ought to result in fewer of these blunders he's apparently so prone too.

These recent comments about Gregan begger belief, and I'm surprised they come from people who I gather watch a lot of football and know their stuff, i.e yourself, BB80 and Prozac.

Axe to grind methinks. I'm happy that people who have watched even more football (Sheridan, Royle and now Penney) seem to share my point of view. I also notice nobody has taken issue with Harry Dowd's pro Gregan comments on another thread, for some reason.

I'm one of Gregan's biggest fans, I made a point of watching him specifcally yesterday. At times winning the ball is too easy for him but the ball does come straight back at us - if he calmed down a bit and took his time it really would ease the pressure on us. He's started the season pretty well but for me him and Rubes are not the answer at the back and one of them will have to be replaced. At the moment it has to Rueben.

Why is it that, when someone posts a view that some don't agree with, the axe-grinding finger is pointed?

Also why is that the Gregan we all love usually plays a blinder against the likes of Leeds ans Leicester and then reverts to being merely average, attracting justified criticism?

out of the 2 i would prefer gregan has he does tend to deal with difficult situations a lot calmer, but i think with a new defender next to gregan we will see a better gregan, one with a lot of pressure lifted off,

to be hoest most of gregans mistakes i have seen have come from hazell failing to deal with a ball and gregan attempting to cover forim,

while hazells mistakes seem to come from nowhere, gregan's mistakes seem to come from too much pressure