Soft centre - Tonight's review

when teams get in amongst us we can't handle it. We destroyed Accy in the first half but simply aren't ruthless enough in front of goal, they have 1 1/2 chances and win the game.

Brill - Little to do but conceded 2

Sheehan - Looks good on the ball, assured.

Gregan and Rubes - :censored: og by Greegs, over committed but the stiker would have scored anyway, a legacy of Brill's hesittaion at Orient? Rubes his best showing for a while.

Holdsworth - Average

Whitaker - Good first half, Casper made his comeback second half

Furman - anonymous, dropped deeper and deeper. Looked superb in pre-season. Now looking more like a 4th division player, needs to get his arse in gear imo.

:censored: - Another one who did well in the first half, average in the second, moved to RB when Holdsworth was subbed.

Lee - Very good, neat and tidy but as usual faded badly.

Blackman - Full of running nearly scored a belter, harshly subbed imo - looked our only threat.

Pav - Too fancy, and always 40 yards from goal. Needs to get in the box or at least shoot. Looks low on confidence - has that penalty miss damaged him?

Subs:

Rowney - Anonymous

Brooke - Looked too lightweight but did fashion a chance for himself that went narrowly wide

Bembo Lita - No one gave him the ball

All in all another game we should have put to bed before half-time but our soft-centre lets teams back in. Once teams close us down we're clueless - hopefully Colbeck will give us the width we need, but Furman is a worry imo he was perceived as the playmaker but at the moment i'm becoming increasingly doubtful. However, it's only the Tinpot Trophy and we look forward to Friday, but we need a home win and quick.

I feckin' hate theis damn competition. 13 years of misery!

when teams get in amongst us we can't handle it. We destroyed Accy in the first half but simply aren't ruthless enough in front of goal, they have 1 1/2 chances and win the game.

Gregan and Rubes - :censored: og by Greegs, over committed but the stiker would have scored anyway, a legacy of Brill's hesittaion at Orient? Rubes his best showing for a while.

Holdsworth - Average

Furman - anonymous, dropped deeper and deeper. Looked superb in pre-season. Now looking more like a 4th division player, needs to get his arse in gear imo.

:censored: - Another one who did well in the first half, average in the second, moved to RB when Holdsworth was subbed.

Blackman - Full of running nearly scored a belter, harshly subbed imo - looked our only threat.

Pav - Too fancy, and always 40 yards from goal. Needs to get in the box or at least shoot. Looks low on confidence - has that penalty miss damaged him?

why do we bother entering it, we always get beat early on. :huh:

Subs:

Rowney - Anonymous

Brooke - Looked too lightweight but did fashion a chance for himself that went narrowly wide

All in all another game we should have put to bed before half-time but our soft-centre lets teams back in. Once teams close us down we're clueless - hopefully Colbeck will give us the width we need, but Furman is a worry imo he was perceived as the playmaker but at the moment i'm becoming increasingly doubtful. However, it's only the Tinpot Trophy and we look forward to Friday, but we need a home win and quick.

Holdsworth - Average

Subs:

Rowney - Anonymous

agree with most of that apart from Lee being very good. I thought he was our worst player and looked scared of the ball. He also kept getting drawn inside rather than staying out wide. But that's what happens when you play CMs on the wing.

There were some good points and bad points to take from the game. Penney made some craking comments. Early in the first half I heard him shout "don't kick it pass it" which is good to hear. Second half though when their lad was down injured just after their second goal he had an opportunity to rally the troops. The players all came over to take in some water and he just looked really pissed off and stood with his hands on his hips. His body language just screamed anger. I also thought his subs where very poor and actually made us a poorer team.

We need to sort the defence or bring other people in. It is plain to see that Gregan, Hazell and Brill isn't going to work.

Hope their player is OK, didn't look good though. Their fans where a credit to the team though.

Holdsworth - Average

Subs:

Rowney - Anonymous

Just a couple of things I don't agree with Prozac, otherwise a fair and decent summary.

I don't think Lee was decent, I think he is just so lightweight and constantly out muscled he really needs to toughen up.

I also think we are getting very carried away with Blackman, his goal on saturday was a superb strike but I'm not convinced he is as good as some are making out, Abbott looked on many occasions like he had absolutely no support, which is why he was dropping deeper to get the ball and never getting in dangerous positions in the box. He is a good young prospect but has a lot to learn and a very long way to go before he warrents the type of praise he has been getting on here.

Just a couple of things I don't agree with Prozac, otherwise a fair and decent summary.

I don't think Lee was decent, I think he is just so lightweight and constantly out muscled he really needs to toughen up.

I also think we are getting very carried away with Blackman, his goal on saturday was a superb strike but I'm not convinced he is as good as some are making out, Abbott looked on many occasions like he had absolutely no support, which is why he was dropping deeper to get the ball and never getting in dangerous positions in the box. He is a good young prospect but has a lot to learn and a very long way to go before he warrents the type of praise he has been getting on here.

Blackman and Abbot are both too similar - with fancy footwork outside the penalty area, but no goalscoring instincts inside it.

IMO a different type of striker was needed who can sniff out a goal.

Edited by BP1960

Blackman and Abbot are both too similar - with fancy footwork outside the penalty area, but no goalscoring instincts inside it.

IMO a different type of striker was needed who can sniff out a goal.

Why does it always seem to be only the fans who can see that we are desperate for a goalpoacher and some cover in CENTRAL DEFENCE!!! It's not rocket science. :angry:

thought lee was one of our best players first half....second, he faded but then so did everyone else!

Brill - 6 - One fine save and nothing to do about the two goals. He's growing on me but the speed and direction of his distribution is terrible

Holdsworth - 6 - Decent first half pushing forward and fairly steady defensivly. Linked up with Lee quite well. Shame he had to go off.

Hazell - 6 - Coupld of shakey moments but fairly steady. Too many long aimless punts upfield

Gregan - 5 - Pulled all over the place by their forwards, constantly to high up the pitch and hasn't the pace to get back. Some rash tackles and headers too.

Sheehan - 6 - Decent first half, looked comfortable on the ball and linked up well considering he wouldn't have played much with anybody else on the park.

Lee - 6 - Pretty good first half, switched with whittaker on a couple of occasions, some nice link-up play and got into position to have a couple of chances. Second half, as bad as everyone else.

Furman - 5 - Neat little player who impressed me in the pre-season games. Too many passes backwards and not enough forward runs tonight.

:censored: - 6 - Half decent first half (probably a 7!) with some nice play and tackles. Showed in second half why he isn't a full back. Can't count the number of times he let the ball bounce. We all know never to do that!

Whittaker - 6 - Found plenty of space first half and was unlucky not to have two or three by half time. Disappeared second half along with the other 10 and hardley got the ball.

Abbott - 6 - Having to work hard for sod all. Gotta feel sorry for the lad - the only time he gets the ball, it's a long punt so not only does he have to control, he then has to do something with it. We need to get the ball down the line and throw some crosses in!

Blackman - 6 - Again, had to work hard for not much. We don't play balls through the channels which he is good enough to run into. He and abbott did it a few times only to not get the ball.

Summary is - we're ok at defending when the ball is straight down the pitch and high. I'd back hazell and gregan 99.9% of the time. Teams soon find that out and instead put the ball in behind, run at, or come in from angles with crosses. It's so much easier to harm us. We look like a soft touch at the back.

I agree with your comments about Abbott and Blackman, until we get a supply of crosses or good quality through balls for them to work with we are going to struggle to score many goals. I am praying that the new fella from Bradford can get some crosses in because if he is not the answer I can only see us extending our record breaking winless streak at home :disappointed: