Dear Dave

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have said previously we have passed the point of no return, does that not indicate that we have :censored: our hole full?

""Running out" implies there is yet time to reverse this decline?

There obviously is time to reverse it, but I very much doubt that anybody has the means, the vision or the will.

What I meant by past the point of no return is past the point where the club finally drops any pretensions of competing with our more successful Lancashire neighbours and starts to compare itself with historically smaller clubs such as Rochdale, Bury and Stockport. This has clearly happened, and it is clearly what a certain kind of Latics fan wants.

There obviously is time to reverse it, but I very much doubt that anybody has the means, the vision or the will.

What I meant by past the point of no return is past the point where the club finally drops any pretensions of competing with our more successful Lancashire neighbours and starts to compare itself with historically smaller clubs such as Rochdale, Bury and Stockport. This has clearly happened, and it is clearly what a certain kind of Latics fan wants.

I wouldn't say wants. More expects or accepts.

As I've mentioned before I've given up all hope of being a contender (being honest I never really had it). It's not a bad thing, you learn to enjoy the moment in Division 3/ Division 4/Division 2.

Would you be happy in 23rd place in Division 2 as opposed to 2nd in Division 4?

To me it wouldn't really matter, I suppose the latter. I suspect you'd be moaning about not expanding the stadium, not being top, going down, not grasping the moment, last chance saloon, etc*.

*If I've read it wrong, please correct me.

I wouldn't say wants. More expects or accepts.

As I've mentioned before I've given up all hope of being a contender (being honest I never really had it). It's not a bad thing, you learn to enjoy the moment in Division 3/ Division 4/Division 2.

Would you be happy in 23rd place in Division 2 as opposed to 2nd in Division 4?

To me it wouldn't really matter, I suppose the latter. I suspect you'd be moaning about not expanding the stadium, not being top, going down, not grasping the moment, last chance saloon, etc*.

*If I've read it wrong, please correct me.

No you don't. You don't enjoy it at all.

I'm not really interested in anything other than the club holding its own in the Championship. Anything less seems a bit pointless. The day this is finally declared an impossibility, not worth striving for, is the day I finally find something else to do on Saturdays. As we are seeing, I won't be on my own.

Sadly, I fear that this will never be stated (it would be a suicide note) and that it's already been accepted.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Don't read it then.

Why don't you turn OWTB into an 'inanities and ephemera' board and slap a three post limit on threads?

No I want to read it [the site] because by-and-large I like reading what people have got to say about their experiences. But on the top threads time and time again, it's the same old bollocks posted by you. We've had the arguments about the topic, we've had the debate about the topic, we've done it to death; now we're digging the f**ker up again and are seemingly going to kill it one more time for the sweet souvenir.

No I want to read it [the site] because by-and-large I like reading what people have got to say about their experiences. But on the top threads time and time again, it's the same old bollocks posted by you. We've had the arguments about the topic, we've had the debate about the topic, we've done it to death; now we're digging the f**ker up again and are seemingly going to kill it one more time for the sweet souvenir.

Start a list of permissable topics then, my dear fellow.

It's your party, after all.

It's not the topics - you patronising little man - it's your incredible ability to crowbar the agenda of "decline" into many a decent topic. Take this one for instance.

One fans' letter of encouragement to the manager - behold - now were at the stage of decline and lower league football for ever.

It's not the topics - you patronising little man - it's your incredible ability to crowbar the agenda of "decline" into many a decent topic. Take this one for instance.

One fans' letter of encouragement to the manager - behold - now were at the stage of decline and lower league football for ever.

Well if you can't see the wider picture somebody has to paint it.

I suppose this is how it works:

Clap, clap, good letter= Good; acceptable. (Everybody applaud.)

Good effort, but there might he more to it than that=Bad, repetitive; unacceptable. (Everybody boo.)

Has anybody noticed how often the 'Keep the Faith' message is regurgitated on here (there are at least three versions of it in today's batch of threads alone) without a word of complaint from moderators nor anybody else, while any dissent shown to this kind of empty, fiddling-while-Rome-burns nonsense is jumped on straightaway? And, ironically, the tired, lame old excuse of repetitiveness is always wheeled out first.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Good effort, but there might he more to it than that=Bad, repetitive; unacceptable. (Everybody boo.)

Has anybody noticed how often the 'Keep the Faith' message is regurgitated on here (there are at least three versions of it in today's batch of threads alone) without a word of complaint from moderators nor anybody else, while any dissent shown to this kind of empty, fiddling-while-Rome-burns nonsense is jumped on straightaway? And, ironically, the tired, lame old excuse of repetitiveness is always wheeled out first.

Probably because you are repetetive.

Is that the smell of burning martyr? You go on like a pub bore. And it's not an admin thing, its a me thing - if somebody else wants to moderate my posts, so be it.

Yes there have been several KTF threads, but what you have failed to mention is that there have been comments disliking the motto. We have not moderated these comments, why the hell should we?

Look - we know something is rotten in Denmark, but please God a simple letter to the manager - a letter of encouragement - has seen once again seen a fresh thread involve complaints of decline from you.

Your problem is that you underestimate the membership of this board, and their capability to make up their own minds without continuously having to read your posts of incredible similarity. And that is insulting.

Sorry, I have to do this. As well intentioned and heartfelt as shefflatic is, I'd just like to offer my own "Constructive Criticism" of his own letter.

Dear Dave,

establish familiarity

I write this letter in the wake of our poor result at Boundary Park Vs Hartlepool United. I have been a supporter of the team for the past 15 years and in my time I have seen some poor teams and poor management structures/performances.

establish credibility/pity

However, despite the defeat, performance and indifferent start to the campaign; let me say that I have not witnessed a more likeable, professional and committed manager as yourself. I admire your football philosophy, your preference for young players and to build a team of ‘workers’ with an added touch of quality to go with it.

I like you! Establish cameraderie!

I appreciate that you do not have the funds to go out and buy the best players or offer extortionate wages to get the out of contract players at a club such as ours and within the current economic climate. You do however, seem to be always on the lookout for unspotted young talent or players that may be available for loan, unlike our previous regime who were more inclined to contact their ex-team mates for players or bring in players who were known names and ‘past it’. You appear to acknowledge that fans will always applaud and back players who work their socks off for their money as the paying supporter does in their everyday job, regardless of ability.

Establish sympathy

I felt it necessary to write to you with a piece of support and advice. Please DO NOT listen to the moronic band of ‘fans’ at the club who constantly moan, boo and shout pathetic and uneducated abuse at the players and yourself during games. Whilst I respect their right to an ‘opinion’ (for what it’s worth), their actions are totally unjustified. I almost came to blows with two ‘supporters’ at last nights’ game as I felt sorry for you having to hear such rubbish as I can see what you are trying to do, whilst also considering the season is barely under way and that it is totally unfair to judge you on games whereby a quarter of our key players are unavailable.

When these players return I am sure we will see a turn around in performances and results. I know you have brought in good players and whilst it may be a building job this year, I know you will get it right eventually and lead us to success.

You are at a new club, have assembled a good young squad and yes, ok, results and performances haven’t been brilliant, but your approach, knowledge and professionalism to date has been admirable.

Establish Auuuuthority, moral supremacy, empathy, a joint vision

What I will say though, in a purely constructive manner, is that whilst we are waiting for players to return from injury, I think it beneficial for you to pick a team and stick with it. The changing around of players in the centre of midfield and in attack cannot do much good in terms of the young players gaining confidence and partnerships forming. I personally think that Brill, Hazell and Whitaker are our weak links but that is your job and for you to decide upon, which I fully respect. As an aside, I think you should consider allowing Martin Gray, or yourself, to sit in the directors’ box for the first 45 minutes to make notes from a different view of the games than yourself being stood on the touchline – I sit in the upper main stand section and you do get a clear perspective on the game and are able to see who is out of position/not picking runners up etc.

Establish stating the bleeding obvious and topping with "I've always wanted to be a manager, but..."

Keep your head up, stay positive and believe in what you are doing is correct. I believe we have the management team, young players and a structure in place that will only lead to success for the club in the long term.

GOOD! GOOD! GOOD! Really, very good.

I can see what you are trying to do and I and many other fans are fully behind you. It is sad that the idiotic band of people who come to games to simply moan get their voices heard more so than those there to support the team and that the abusive/negative messages are passed off as the general fan consensus towards yourself and the team.

It is the many previous false dawns, demise post-Premiership and promises of past teams and managers at the club that has led to people becoming disillusioned with the team and wanting instant success, which of course is impossible with an entirely new squad.

GOOD! GOOD! GOOD! Again, really, very good.

Keep doing what you are doing Dave. I feel that we are very lucky to have such a talented manager at the helm and I know, given time (I hope to God that you are) you can do it and bring the good times back to Oldham Athletic.

Stay Positive and Keep The Faith.

GOOD! GOOD! GOOD! Great ending.

`point being, if anyone is thinking of writing to the club, too much fluff is not the way I'd personally recommend

Misself, if I was thinking of writing a supporting, inspiring, cajoling, or even dressing room wall material letter, would've said something along the likes of:

Dave,

You are the manager of Oldham Athletic, and you bear our emblem.

Wear the badge with pride, ensure the players do, too.

We will back you. Success will follow.

Feck up, and we'll set the inflatable Yeard Dogs in yer nads. (Last line optional)

Either that, or (drumroll....)

MEAT PIE, SOSSIDGE :blink: ROLL!

COME ON OWDHAM, GIZZA GOAL!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH WE GOT A CORNER!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH WE GOT A CORNER!

Anyhow, Shefflatic, I applaud you. Just wanted to put my own twopenneth into the mire.

Cheers,

KC

Dear Dave,

I write this letter in the wake of our poor result at Boundary Park Vs Hartlepool United. I have been a supporter of the team for the past 15 years and in my time I have seen some poor teams and poor management structures/performances.

However, despite the defeat, performance and indifferent start to the campaign; let me say that I have not witnessed a more likeable, professional and committed manager as yourself. I admire your football philosophy, your preference for young players and to build a team of ‘workers’ with an added touch of quality to go with it.

I appreciate that you do not have the funds to go out and buy the best players or offer extortionate wages to get the out of contract players at a club such as ours and within the current economic climate. You do however, seem to be always on the lookout for unspotted young talent or players that may be available for loan, unlike our previous regime who were more inclined to contact their ex-team mates for players or bring in players who were known names and ‘past it’. You appear to acknowledge that fans will always applaud and back players who work their socks off for their money as the paying supporter does in their everyday job, regardless of ability.

I felt it necessary to write to you with a piece of support and advice. Please DO NOT listen to the moronic band of ‘fans’ at the club who constantly moan, boo and shout pathetic and uneducated abuse at the players and yourself during games. Whilst I respect their right to an ‘opinion’ (for what it’s worth), their actions are totally unjustified. I almost came to blows with two ‘supporters’ at last nights’ game as I felt sorry for you having to hear such rubbish as I can see what you are trying to do, whilst also considering the season is barely under way and that it is totally unfair to judge you on games whereby a quarter of our key players are unavailable.

When these players return I am sure we will see a turn around in performances and results. I know you have brought in good players and whilst it may be a building job this year, I know you will get it right eventually and lead us to success.

You are at a new club, have assembled a good young squad and yes, ok, results and performances haven’t been brilliant, but your approach, knowledge and professionalism to date has been admirable.

What I will say though, in a purely constructive manner, is that whilst we are waiting for players to return from injury, I think it beneficial for you to pick a team and stick with it. The changing around of players in the centre of midfield and in attack cannot do much good in terms of the young players gaining confidence and partnerships forming. I personally think that Brill, Hazell and Whitaker are our weak links but that is your job and for you to decide upon, which I fully respect. As an aside, I think you should consider allowing Martin Gray, or yourself, to sit in the directors’ box for the first 45 minutes to make notes from a different view of the games than yourself being stood on the touchline – I sit in the upper main stand section and you do get a clear perspective on the game and are able to see who is out of position/not picking runners up etc.

Keep your head up, stay positive and believe in what you are doing is correct. I believe we have the management team, young players and a structure in place that will only lead to success for the club in the long term.

I can see what you are trying to do and I and many other fans are fully behind you. It is sad that the idiotic band of people who come to games to simply moan get their voices heard more so than those there to support the team and that the abusive/negative messages are passed off as the general fan consensus towards yourself and the team.

It is the many previous false dawns, demise post-Premiership and promises of past teams and managers at the club that has led to people becoming disillusioned with the team and wanting instant success, which of course is impossible with an entirely new squad.

Keep doing what you are doing Dave. I feel that we are very lucky to have such a talented manager at the helm and I know, given time (I hope to God that you are) you can do it and bring the good times back to Oldham Athletic.

Excellent letter. No doubt what the large majority of fans think than the minority.

Dear Dave,

Out of interest did you send similar letters to Talbot, Ritchie, Moore and Sheridan ? Just wondering as people who start of putting themselves up as the "perfect" fan while slagging off the rest of the fan base tend to be the ones who thought the likes of Ronnie Moore and John Sheridan where going to lead us to glory as well...

You say ignore the "morons" and embrace the happier clappers.... To be frank, I would rather him just take a look at the league table and videos of the performances and get it sorted....

Also, what does it matter how nice the guy. Give me a **** and latics top of the table any day of the week...

I am all for not getting on his back and giving him time to sort things.... Writing slap on the back emails is a tad over the top me thinks...

Edited by oafc0000

Is that the smell of burning martyr? You go on like a pub bore. And it's not an admin thing, its a me thing - if somebody else wants to moderate my posts, so be it.

Yes there have been several KTF threads, but what you have failed to mention is that there have been comments disliking the motto. We have not moderated these comments, why the hell should we?

Look - we know something is rotten in Denmark, but please God a simple letter to the manager - a letter of encouragement - has seen once again seen a fresh thread involve complaints of decline from you.

Your problem is that you underestimate the membership of this board, and their capability to make up their own minds without continuously having to read your posts of incredible similarity. And that is insulting.

And so?

The day I become as boring as some of you whingers is the day I stop bothering with OWTB.

I think the Corporal has been "cutting and pasting" for some time now.

And he is the master of regurgitation.

You would do well to notice what I've been predicting for some time now unfolding before your eyes.

Nice letters to a nice manager are all very well; I'm not against people sending them and then pasting them up on here, if that's what they want to do. But it can do precisely nothing about the trajectory the club is on.

As you are going to see.

quote name='Corporal_Jones' date='Sep 7 2009, 13:53 PM' post='304864']

You would do well to notice what I've been predicting for some time now unfolding before your eyes.

Nice letters to a nice manager are all very well; I'm not against people sending them and then pasting them up on here, if that's what they want to do. But it can do precisely nothing about the trajectory the club is on.

As you are going to see.

Our very own Nostradamus

Predict - ohh dear

Reason for edit: to make it clearer for CJ

Edited by LaticsPete