Good result...but not good enough

Guest sheridans_world

Guest sheridans_world

Fantastic game, we dominated for 80 minutes. We dropped off badly in the last ten/fifteen minutes but what a game. We actually played football and pressured them, closed them down quickly, didnt give them time. We let them settle down a bit too much in the second half but they are a good team (except their keeper...).

Ok, so the bad point. We scored two brilliant goals, out of the seven or eight chances, those two were the "outside" chance of scoring. We had six or so very clear cut chances and we need to put them away. We should have been 3 or 4 nil up at half time and the problem is, if we dont kill games off when we are on top, we have a chance of throwing it away (like we nearly did).

Anyway, negative point out, Parker, Abbott, Whitaker and :censored: were all immense, I think Parker just edges MOTM because of his first half performance and his goal. Parker has looked like a lost kid up until this game, he was really involved and definitely finally found form. Sheehan played well, some very good set pieces and some good running down the wing. Cracking Goal. Special mention for our back triagle, Brill, Reubs and Gregan. Looked fairly solid and Brill commanded his area. His confidence has gone sky high, which is brilliant to see because he has found form with it. Quiet man of the night Kelvin Lomax chipping in with a solid performance at right back, must be staking his claim for it to be his place at the moment.

In summary, brilliant result, shame about the goal that bounced off the post and Brill's head, it happens, we have suffered from missed chances earlier this season and I hope we start putting more good chances away. Three point, three wins, roll on Yeovil for our fourth win in a row.

Fantastic game, we dominated for 80 minutes. We dropped off badly in the last ten/fifteen minutes but what a game. We actually played football and pressured them, closed them down quickly, didnt give them time. We let them settle down a bit too much in the second half but they are a good team (except their keeper...).

Ok, so the bad point. We scored two brilliant goals, out of the seven or eight chances, those two were the "outside" chance of scoring. We had six or so very clear cut chances and we need to put them away. We should have been 3 or 4 nil up at half time and the problem is, if we dont kill games off when we are on top, we have a chance of throwing it away (like we nearly did).

I agree, but we are there to miss them and three or four were very good saves from Gueret whilst Pav was flagged offside twice - the first one a sublime finish!

We look far more solid in defence and Brill had very little to do again tonight.

... We should have been 3 or 4 nil up at half time and the problem is, if we dont kill games off when we are on top, we have a chance of throwing it away (like we nearly did)...

Firstly, well done to the Latics for making it three on the bounce, hopefully we can get a good result against Yeovil.

A good post, I've only highlighted your negative bit because a million fans up and down the nation say this week in, week out. As others have already said, at least we are there to create the chances, which is preferable to not creating the chances in the first place.

We look to be improving and that alone is grounds for optimism.

Guest sheridans_world
As Penney said, I'd be more worried if we weren't creating the chances.

Totally agree, as I said we converted the two hardest chances of the game leaving a few easier ones going begging. Its been an issue all season but I'm not overly concered, 5 goals in three games, three clean sheets (I'm giving it Brill tonight, he was desperately unlucky). Pav and Parker were brilliant, Pav really showed his strength.

Anyway, negative point out, Parker, Abbott, Whitaker and :censored: were all immense, I think Parker just edges MOTM because of his first half performance and his goal. Parker has looked like a lost kid up until this game, he was really involved and definitely finally found form. Sheehan played well, some very good set pieces and some good running down the wing. Cracking Goal. Special mention for our back triagle, Brill, Reubs and Gregan. Looked fairly solid and Brill commanded his area. His confidence has gone sky high, which is brilliant to see because he has found form with it. Quiet man of the night Kelvin Lomax chipping in with a solid performance at right back, must be staking his claim for it to be his place at the moment.

In summary, brilliant result, shame about the goal that bounced off the post and Brill's head, it happens, we have suffered from missed chances earlier this season and I hope we start putting more good chances away. Three point, three wins, roll on Yeovil for our fourth win in a row.

you're not Dave Penney (at least I don't think you are) so why not leave the nitpicking to the man who gets paid to nitpick and just enjoy, as a fan, what was our best performance in a long, long time???

Agree with most things apart from Whitaker, didnt really notice too much from the guy. He tends to get out muslcled a lot and when we are breaking forward he hasn't got the most pase which tends to lose the chance of a shot on goal. Him and Lomax was OK but never going to be a dangeroud right flank...If we prefer to plat Whiateker as a right midfielder over Colbeck who we paid around 50k for its saying something...

Other than that a great performance dont want to put a negative spin on a great result. Whitaker is definately a decet squad player just think thats our main weak link at the mo, i suppose colbeck was supposed to be the answer to that

Guest sheridans_world
you're not Dave Penney (at least I don't think you are) so why not leave the nitpicking to the man who gets paid to nitpick and just enjoy, as a fan, what was our best performance in a long, long time???

See bits in bold.

Guest sheridans_world
note they are outweighed by the bits not in bold.

cheer up FFS.

Haha. I disagree. Seriously, just because we had the best game at Boundary Park I have seen in years. (See what I did there? Positivity). Doesnt mean that we are top of the league certain to get promotion. We have had an issue finishing all season and tonight, against good opponents, we should have put at least another one away. The goal we conceded nearly lost us two points.

Haha. I disagree. Seriously, just because we had the best game at Boundary Park I have seen in years. (See what I did there? Positivity). Doesnt mean that we are top of the league certain to get promotion. We have had an issue finishing all season and tonight, against good opponents, we should have put at least another one away. The goal we conceded nearly lost us two points.

at least another 1? so would you be posting this rubbish if it was 3-1?

i think you would 'it should have been 4' blah blah

Who's saying we're top of the league certain of promotion? 2 week ago we were in the relegation zone. Tonight we've put in a great performance and beaten a good team.

)

Perhaps if MK Dons were able to create more chances themselves they may have drawn? We were the better team and we won. Stop being contraversial.

Would agree with most of that except for Whittaker. He had a fairly poor game for me..... far too lightweight.

Would agree with most of that except for Whittaker. He had a fairly poor game for me..... far too lightweight.

Lightweight ..., yes

Poor game ... haha - TOSH !!

he wasn't needed to be the grafter and we know he isn't that type of player. Okay he doesn't give us natural width, but I feel we get plenty enough of that from Chrissy T. the two CM's were fantastic 2nite at a immensely high tempo, which time after time gave casper the space behind there midfield. cutting in and with his usual superb passing and vision i couldn't have been any happier with the midfield.

How can anyone criticise danny after his constant breaks and the vision he showed for the decisive goal.

I know everyone is allowed their opinions BUT we don't need three tough aggressive midfielders, take danny out of that side 2nite and we wud hav seriously lacked that vital creativity from midfield.

Lightweight ..., yes

Poor game ... haha - TOSH !!

he wasn't needed to be the grafter and we know he isn't that type of player. Okay he doesn't give us natural width, but I feel we get plenty enough of that from Chrissy T. the two CM's were fantastic 2nite at a immensely high tempo, which time after time gave casper the space behind there midfield. cutting in and with his usual superb passing and vision i couldn't have been any happier with the midfield.

How can anyone criticise danny after his constant breaks and the vision he showed for the decisive goal.

I know everyone is allowed their opinions BUT we don't need three tough aggressive midfielders, take danny out of that side 2nite and we wud hav seriously lacked that vital creativity from midfield.

Got to agree with that, Whittaker wasn't played in a central midfield position, and his contributions today were well worth his place in the team.

I thought it was his best game for a long while.

Bit harsh S_W but I do see where you're coming from. The way I see it is another win, this time with a good team performance, and a solid foundation on which to build. If we can continue the improvement then we will start to iron out some of the mistakes at the back and convert a few more of the chances we're creating up front.

On Whitaker, yes you could say he's a bit lightweight but there are other players in the team who can fight the personal battles. Creatively he was fantastic, the best half dozen passes in the game were all Danny's, including the assist for our second (after some simply brilliant hold up play from Pav.)

Another point, that probably wasn't easily picked up from the stands - the chances we created might have made it look like a fairly easy win, but MK Dons made them work fecking hard all match. We won't have many tougher physical examinations at BP this season, and I thought we did well to match them, arguably helped at times by a slightly fussy ref.