If Failsworth Fails?

It would be in Oldham though. Unlike the proposed Failsworth site. That's a biggy for many of us, in case you haven't noticed.

Granted, it would be next door to Failsworth, Manchester...but it would still be in Oldham and, more to the point, closer to our heartland than the proposed Failsworth site which is actually almost Moston/Newton Heath AND a lot closer to COMS...not that the proximity to COMS is bothering me.

So where is this mystery 30-acre site in Hollinwood thats the answer to our prayers?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be in Oldham though. Unlike the proposed Failsworth site. That's a biggy for many of us, in case you haven't noticed.

Granted, it would be next door to Failsworth, Manchester...but it would still be in Oldham and, more to the point, closer to our heartland than the proposed Failsworth site which is actually almost Moston/Newton Heath AND a lot closer to COMS...not that the proximity to COMS is bothering me.

Quite agree, it would be within the historical borough. However I think the hair's breadth distinction is a bit too fine. It does fall under many of the vaunted downsides to failsworth.

The 1.5 miles at most will hardly affect the "pull" of COMS, people moan enough about citeh/manure fans in oldham centre so it's a given that many of them drive past/from around BP to go elsewhere.

Given the relative (and I do only mean relative - there are poorer areas of oldham) poverty in NH / Failsworth, maybe some of the manure lot would turn up at failsworth given the prices at the swamp?

Quite agree, it would be within the historical borough. However I think the hair's breadth distinction is a bit too fine. It does fall under many of the vaunted downsides to failsworth.

The 1.5 miles at most will hardly affect the "pull" of COMS, people moan enough about citeh/manure fans in oldham centre so it's a given that many of them drive past/from around BP to go elsewhere.

Given the relative (and I do only mean relative - there are poorer areas of oldham) poverty in NH / Failsworth, maybe some of the manure lot would turn up at failsworth given the prices at the swamp?

Why would Man U or Man City fans ever ever ever want to support Latics??? People on here keep banging on about the club downscaling - when most of the fans threat ourselves as another local none-league outfit which fans of bigger clubs would have a soft spot for.

Why would Man U or Man City fans ever ever ever want to support Latics??? People on here keep banging on about the club downscaling - when most of the fans threat ourselves as another local none-league outfit which fans of bigger clubs would have a soft spot for.

I sort of see where you're coming from...most fans of football clubs would not dream of ever going to watch another team regularly BUT I am proof that it can happen.....and I think you wil find a lot of our support, young and old, in their earlier years were more inclined to follow City, United or even Liverpool....plenty on here will vouch for that and know of brothers, sisters, mums, dads, uncles and friends who turned to Latics after initially following other clubs....of course, many of them have disappeared now, but some stay...

What, you mean Counthill School which is being retained in part for the new School which is going on what used to be Orb Mill?

What you mean the golf course which is owned by the company that did all the tipping and has rubbish transport links and probable issues with contamination?

counthill school was a suggestion made weeks ago, which was debated today, what do you mean being retained?

terrible transport links in fact on the golf course site, but when you dont want FAILsworth your mind is working overtime, but im not sure about contamination, they have been digging that site up for years

My dad was a city fan. By default so was I. I rarely went though. When I was 16/17 ish, I went to a Latics v Citeh match.

I have been a latics fan ever since.

My next door neighbour is a red. He had a season ticket until 3/4 years ago when the prices went too high and they started making them pay for all cup games compusarily. He thinks Latics coming to failsworth is great - "the best thing the council have ever done".

So, that's a city fan and a manure fan. Yarddog seems to have a similar angle.

If you think we can only ever attract latics through-and-through people, you are willing a decline. I think we can attract other fans. Location will be a big factor in that, sucess will be another factor. Stadium design is likely to be pretty irrelevant.

My dad was a city fan. By default so was I. I rarely went though. When I was 16/17 ish, I went to a Latics v Citeh match.

I have been a latics fan ever since.

My next door neighbour is a red. He had a season ticket until 3/4 years ago when the prices went too high and they started making them pay for all cup games compusarily. He thinks Latics coming to failsworth is great - "the best thing the council have ever done".

So, that's a city fan and a manure fan. Yarddog seems to have a similar angle.

If you think we can only ever attract latics through-and-through people, you are willing a decline. I think we can attract other fans. Location will be a big factor in that, sucess will be another factor. Stadium design is likely to be pretty irrelevant.

so thats 2 new fans we have, its a starting point for the fans we will lose ill give you that

location - terrible

success - self sufficient - never

stadium design - need for expansion (but whats the point moving there)

its really hard to get through to some people isnt it, but people living in Failsworth would be all for this move wouldnt they :wink:

I know of two former 10+ year season ticket holders at Man U who in the past few years have started watching Oldham- they both now have season tickets. The biggest reason for them coming over from the Dark side- Money it was simply too expensive for them to watch Man U every week, especially when you have to factor in all the non-league games season ticket holders have to buy tickets for even if they don't want to go (which aren't included in the price). The more and more Man U and Citeh keep putting up the prices the more and more some of their 'hardcore' fans aren't going to be able to afford to go. Now I will admit that 99% of those who can no longer afford to go will simply find a pub to watch the games in (there is something about that- which personally I think the club should be trying to stop) or watch Jeff and the idiots at home but some might decide to watch someone else. Oldham Athletic has to be there out-competing some of our other local teams for these people. Some better facilities in a new stadium might just sway them- I can remember being shown round Bury's new stand years ago and frankly I thought the Lookers had just as good facilities for the ordinary fan. Rochdale don't appear to have upgraded their stadium in donkeys and I wouldn't rate County's chances of having good facilites for the home fan either.

so thats 2 new fans we have, its a starting point for the fans we will lose ill give you that

location - terrible

its really hard to get through to some people isnt it, but people living in Failsworth would be all for this move wouldnt they :wink:

Well, it's 2 out of 2. You said why would anyone, I've shown it can happen.

The rest of your post is just unsupported statements. "terrible" - yeah, cos counthill would be a roaring sucess. Name a better viable location and let's take it from there?

Well, it's 2 out of 2. You said why would anyone, I've shown it can happen.

The rest of your post is just unsupported statements. "terrible" - yeah, cos counthill would be a roaring sucess. Name a better viable location and let's take it from there?

2 is a start but we need thousands do we not? and will that happen in Citys back yard - i dont think it will

it is a terrible place for a football club to relocate - right in the back yard of the richest club in the world, its complete suicide

counthill was just an idea that i mentioned weeks ago, which wont happen, but you are right there is nowhere else by the looks of it and its very sad

edit: i think, and im not on my own saying this that TTA should put the club up for sale immediately, make us self sufficient at BP, rather than self sufficient at Failsworth

Edited by creepy

i think, and im not on my own saying this that TTA should put the club up for sale immediately, make us self sufficient at BP, rather than self sufficient at Failsworth

So who would buy it, and why would they buy it?

I believe TTA have been quite open about their wishes to attract new investment. It never arrived though.

If someone offered the right price they'd walk. Nobody will make that offer though.

Edited by opinions4u

2 is a start but we need thousands do we not? and will that happen in Citys back yard - i dont think it will

it is a terrible place for a football club to relocate - right in the back yard of the richest club in the world, its complete suicide

counthill was just an idea that i mentioned weeks ago, which wont happen, but you are right there is nowhere else by the looks of it and its very sad

edit: i think, and im not on my own saying this that TTA should put the club up for sale immediately, make us self sufficient at BP, rather than self sufficient at Failsworth

Not going to happen cant become self sufficient at boundary park

location - terrible

I am , as there is nothing in failsworth , we need something to put us on the map , I know a few reds who would also come down to watch the latics if the failsworth move goes ahead.

I am , as there is nothing in failsworth , we need something to put us on the map , I know a few reds who would also come down to watch the latics if the failsworth move goes ahead.

Why would they do that?

Oh hang on....

One thing people are not thinking about is that reds will not go to city no matter how cheap it is. They might come to latics though 'cos a lot can't afford manure's prices. And if they bring their kids, or the kids come themselves, won't some of them keep coming? Might some of them become Latics regulars?

If that is to be achieved, it's important that the team budget is not detrimentally affected by plunging more cash into the stadium than is needed, depriving the squad of funding. Hence a ground sufficient for current needs at this and mostly at the next level up.

The $50 ST for under 16's is still there by the way.