The Pits!

disagree.

the reason its been left to rust is because they won't spend money on minor upkeep.it then gives the impression its a dump and fans with any type of doubts to a move will look around BP every home game and think "its a dump"..but that because its been left to be a dump.

we've been at BP for over 100 years..why has it suddenly "looked a dump" the last few years eh?

looked fine in parts 4 years ago.

"....we haven't had the money to do so."...TTA said they spent £400,000 on upkeep last year. where exactly???

a final thought. if, for example, the failsworth project goes through tomorrow,the new stadium won't be ready for 2 years +.so,we'll have to sit within the ruins of forever neglected BP until then.

makes you weep.

I think thats a fair point and I think if you looked at the break down of the £400k figure that they say costs to run BP and compare it to what it will cost to run the stadium in Failsworth then I don't think we will make a significant saving. When you suggested that BP has been left to rust my impression was that you were implying why hasn't major surgery been done to the ground in that time and we know that the money that in reality to redevelop BP to a take the club forward is going to take an 8 figure sum. In that time it wouldn't hurt for atleast the last 2 years to improve the catering facilities.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

boundary park, as never been a ground to write home about! yes its home- but lets be honest, its a hole, and always as been. my thoughts- 40 year fan. whatever peoples feelings, its going to be failsworth or bust. lets move forward" some on here, would still have us, ploughing fields with horses.

boundary park, as never been a ground to write home about! yes its home- but lets be honest, its a hole, and always as been. my thoughts- 40 year fan. whatever peoples feelings, its going to be failsworth or bust. lets move forward" some on here, would still have us, ploughing fields with horses.

its a hole now,yes.but always has been?

ever been to grimsby town last few years? that been a dump for 20+years.i'm sure theres many more examples.

"failsworth or bust" ..ahhh ..the corney mantra...thats a threat they are giving,not a reason.a threat to oldham council,local residents and latics fans.

i'm all for moving forward.but i along with many don't see failsworth as a "step forward". it'll be a great stadium,i'm sure, but not in that location.

its all too rushed and with the upturn in the housing market now,wouldn't it be a great idea to wait just a little longer?

Mind you, back in the days of Ferney Fields we were looking at something like a 20000 seat replica of the Circle at Hull, with its own little retail and leisure park. I was all for that back then.

It's not the club's fault the recession blew the BP redevelopment out of the water, but a temporary financial crisis (however deep) is no reason to permanently extinguish any hope of taking the club (back) to a higher level.

I think its fair to question the sense in all that when it was then shown a number of years later we could have had something very workable at BP.

You cant blame the club for the recession... You can blame the club for being no further long when that recession blew in... They had been four years and all we had done is got a 1/4 of the planning permission we needed....

As for the future...I am hopeful we can move forward... I have hope...

Edited by oafc0000

I'm sure TTA would wholeheartedly agree they would rather have made much more progress much earlier on, but to be fair the delays weren't all TTA's fault.

We only got rejected once by the council.. Too much is made of it... Its only a issue because that minor delay happened just before the recession started.

Whether the move is to Failsworth or a new BP Arena, spending money on the current stadium would be a waste - would you re-spray a car if you knew you'd have it crushed 2 years later?

It's got nothing to do with conspiracy theories for moving to failsworth, it's got everything to do with wasting money on something that won't be there in 5 years (hopefully - sort of). Some people are trying to twist anything and everything about the club into some sort of conspiracy theory. It's getting laughable.

We only got rejected once by the council.. Too much is made of it... Its only a issue because that minor delay happened just before the recession started.

True, I was more thinking of the length of time it took to progress certain aspects of the development plan... various elements that TTA had some control over but involved other parties and took longer than they expected. It's not that different to building your own house or having an extension done - things always seem to take longer when designers, architects, surveyors and lawyers get involved... and that's without mentioning planning committee!

Whether the move is to Failsworth or a new BP Arena, spending money on the current stadium would be a waste - would you re-spray a car if you knew you'd have it crushed 2 years later?

It's got nothing to do with conspiracy theories for moving to failsworth, it's got everything to do with wasting money on something that won't be there in 5 years (hopefully - sort of). Some people are trying to twist anything and everything about the club into some sort of conspiracy theory. It's getting laughable.

Don't want Failsworth, but agree with the above.

BP has never been great, even when I first started supporting Oldham. It has always been a bit shabby and the reason it seems worse now is that other clubs have moved on and built/redeveloped their stadia and we haven't as simple as that. As time goes by and more and more clubs move on we are being left behind as one of the few clubs still playing in their old relic of a stadium. I know people like to defend it as its our own stadium but if you take the blue tinted specs off surely deep down you know its crap regardless of maintenance.

Getting in people to give it a lick of paint is not going to make a difference. The only way to get it anywhere near some of the standards of stadia today would be to knock it all down and start again. But surely thats the redevelopment that we can no longer afford?

BP has never been great, even when I first started supporting Oldham. It has always been a bit shabby and the reason it seems worse now is that other clubs have moved on and built/redeveloped their stadia and we haven't as simple as that. As time goes by and more and more clubs move on we are being left behind as one of the few clubs still playing in their old relic of a stadium. I know people like to defend it as its our own stadium but if you take the blue tinted specs off surely deep down you know its crap regardless of maintenance.

Getting in people to give it a lick of paint is not going to make a difference. The only way to get it anywhere near some of the standards of stadia today would be to knock it all down and start again. But surely thats the redevelopment that we can no longer afford?

i think we need to realise there are 3 sets of fans here.

1/full on supporters of failsworth

2/supporters who realise a move is required, but don't think failsworth is the right area

3/fans who want BP redeveloped and do not want a move full stop.

i'm in the "2" group.

i think we need to realise there are 3 sets of fans here.

1/full on supporters of failsworth

2/supporters who realise a move is required, but don't think failsworth is the right area

3/fans who want BP redeveloped and do not want a move full stop.

i'm in the "2" group.

4 sets I think. :wink:

I would not say I am a full on supporter of the Failsworth move I have not seen the plans, however I have nothing against it as a location.

Agree. I'd move tomorrow.

Big deal if this conspiracy theory is true. What we gonna do about it, all us 3000 fans? Money talks, the owners talk, if they move us to Failsworth then so be it. Think they're over ambitious on the 12,000 seats bit though...

E4e

FIVEK

3000 regular home fans right now (actually it's still nearer 4000 but never mind), with thousands more sitting at home due to fifteen years of uninterrupted incompetence at all levels of the club, punctuated by false dawns and half-arsed inititiatives.

It's definitely the way to kill a club.

Wouldn't do any harm to remind a few Failsworth waverers and eternal malcontents just how decrepit BP is becoming, however...

Don't flatter yourself johnny, I very much doubt it costs 400 grand to upkeep your arse... :grin:

BP has certainly suffered from a lack of basic investment recently, but when you've been working with plans to either totally rebuild it or flatten it and build elsewhere for the past 4 years or more, you probably tend to think that any more than the absolutely necessary maintenance spend on the existing BP is dead money.

I don't like the Failsworth plan because as things stand it looks to be too much of a scaling down of ambitions. It's a plan to suit the financial constraints of the current ownership and a plan that sets us squarely on a future path of lower league survival.

I am willing, however, to wait and see the final plans in detail - who knows, they may sway me. They will have to be impressive though to persuade me that we're not making a dreadful mistake in discarding forever the chance to stay at and redevelop our home.

It doesn't matter how nice the final plans are-as long as the capacity is 12000 survival at lower division level is undoubtedly the aim. Whatever is said in denial of this matters not all all, and nor does any nonsense talked about room for extension.

Nearly all grounds with capacities as low as 12000 are concentrated in the lower divisions. By restricting capacity to this low level, the club is clearly expecting not to be playing many big games against big clubs ever again.

Farewell ambition-you always had a precarious existence at BP anyway.

TTAs plan have always been to either move to a new location or completely re-develop BP. Do people really think it would be viable to spend Ten of thousands or more on BP to make it look "nice" when it will be demolished regardless of where any new stadium is to be? Not maintaining BP is financially sensible and simply prompts the need to develop a new ground sooner rather than later. it has no effect on the location at all. Unless people want to develop a conspiracy based on fallacies.

And why do some people always bring the same point into every thread, regardless of what the thread is actually about?

TTAs plan have always been to either move to a new location or completely re-develop BP. Do people really think it would be viable to spend Ten of thousands or more on BP to make it look "nice" when it will be demolished regardless of where any new stadium is to be? Not maintaining BP is financially sensible and simply prompts the need to develop a new ground sooner rather than later. it has no effect on the location at all. Unless people want to develop a conspiracy based on fallacies.

And why do some people always bring the same point into every thread, regardless of what the thread is actually about?

tens of thousands of pounds just for a lick of paint here and there, pull up the weeds, clean up the crap thats accumulated and a general patch up to the things fan always see?

i'll have that contract then please.

like i say,we have a 2 year MINIMUM wait for a new stadium...a minimum 2 years of sitting in a continuing rust bucket, paint peeling, 3 sided :censored:house...which costs punters £20 to sit in...no wonder the stayaways never come back!

a bit of effort.

tens of thousands of pounds just for a lick of paint here and there, pull up the weeds, clean up the crap thats accumulated and a general patch up to the things fan always see?

i'll have that contract then please.

like i say,we have a 2 year MINIMUM wait for a new stadium...a minimum 2 years of sitting in a continuing rust bucket, paint peeling, 3 sided :censored:house...which costs punters £20 to sit in...no wonder the stayaways never come back!

a bit of effort.

I haven't really noticed any weeds/peeling paint/accumulated crap anywhere. The RRE seems ok to my eyes, so I've no idea what you're referring to? Which bits of the ground have weeds everywhere and peeling paint?

On the cost issue, if you're asking for just one stand roof to be re-painted, you'd be looking at thousands quite easily.

It doesn't matter how nice the final plans are-as long as the capacity is 12000 survival at lower division level is undoubtedly the aim. Whatever is said in denial of this matters not all all, and nor does any nonsense talked about room for extension.

Nearly all grounds with capacities as low as 12000 are concentrated in the lower divisions. By restricting capacity to this low level, the club is clearly expecting not to be playing many big games against big clubs ever again.

He's got a point!

I'm not particularly interested in how the stadium looks either. My point on seeing the plans is the rather more relevant question of whether they include the kind of commercial developments we saw in the BP plans to help provide an income to sustain the club. If not, or if such elements are scaled down from the BP model, then that just adds to the 12000 capacity as another nail in the coffin of any ambition.