5000/1 are we all on and ready?

Regulation £10 on, hope the rest of you are on and ready to go. 8 games from history.

Sorry BRF, but there is no money left in the gambling coffers after your dead cert treble the other week when all three selections failed. :lol:

Stick to what you are good at:-

Fishing and logging multiple usernames.

Guest sheridans_world
Those are the odds for Latics to win the FA cup 09/10.

Thanks. I think I'll spend my £10 on Kai Rooney playing for England...*

*Incidentally, >>Will Hill<< touts the odds at 150/1 for Kai to play for England when he's older. Now for arguments sake, we'll say that little Kai will play for England by the age of twenty.

So you put £10 on Kai playing for England now. You're thinking, nice £1500 in the back-pocket in twenty years time. Well you'd be right, but you wont be getting £1500 for your £1500.

Inflation. Oh the joys.

Lets take petrol. 20 years ago a litre of petrol cost you 38pence. Now it costs you about a pound, thats a 263% increase. Taking that trend in another twenty years, your litre of petrol will cost £2.63. Now this aint accurate. I dont claim it to be. However, if we go back to our bet. The £1500 that you'll be winning on your £10 bet. That aint worth £1500, we need to devalue that by the 263% we came up with above.

That works out at around £570. Meaning that those attractive odds of 150/1 you thought you were getting are actually more like 57/1.

So you're still happy with your £570. Fine, but take the shorter odds of 100/1 to play premiership football. Your £10 bet would make you the equivalent of £380 rather than £1000. 38/1 rather than 100/1? Tough deal.

Dont forget to add in the fact that bookies shut up shop and close, move, change names etc. Dont forget to keep your slip safe, else you'll never be able to claim it. Easy money for bookies cos you'll get some people who put £10 on Latics to win the FA Cup.

Mmmmm maths.

IF you want to do it properly you should also discount it against the opportunity cost of using the tenner, ie apply the compounded interest rate over the 25 years. I believe that every man should have one vice that he doesn’t indulge in, and gambling is mine.

Thanks. I think I'll spend my £10 on Kai Rooney playing for England...

What odds do you reckon i can get on him winning the Nobel Prize for physics?

Incidentally bet365 have got Jon Worthington at 6/1 to score on Saturday, which is pretty impressive considering he can't walk unaided at the moment.

Edited by rosa