The Hamburg end v Celtic last night

I find that really really funny, not because I dislike Celtic (as I don't) but because it is a British team in Europe and they are being taunted by a British flag. Yes I know plenty of Irish people support Celtic but if they actually supported their local Irish teams the irish leagues wouldn't be so :censored: . Last time I checked the PM is a Scotsman in a Scottish constituency who dictates policy which doesn't apply to Scotland- the Scots can have their idependence as far as I'm cocerned and maybe just maybe England and Wales wouldn't have been buggered by two Scotsmen. Any Scot who has a problem with the Union Jack (even if not quite right) needs to leave the country as until Scotland does become fully independent it is part of the UK and that's our flag.

I wonder if the OP has something to do with what looks like an Oldham St. George's cross two flags to the right of the no surrender banner (in the picture)

Any Scot who has a problem with the Union Jack (even if not quite right) needs to leave the country as until Scotland does become fully independent it is part of the UK and that's our flag.

It's pretty difficult to achieve independance if everyone who supports it has to leave the country beforehand. :huh: . I consider myself English, and Irish, they are parts of my ancestry and culture, whereas Britain is a political notion that I feel no affinity for, the Union Jack does nowt for me and the sooner we give Scotland full powers to raise their own taxes to pay for their benefits, hospitals and obesity clinics the better.

I wonder if the OP has something to do with what looks like an Oldham St. George's cross two flags to the right of the no surrender banner (in the picture)

Nah, that's a Hamburg flag. It's got the Hamburger SV Diamond logo on a St.G's cross (or even a Hanseatic Cross?), with the word "HAMBURG" written on it.

It's pretty difficult to achieve independance if everyone who supports it has to leave the country beforehand. :huh: . I consider myself English, and Irish, they are parts of my ancestry and culture, whereas Britain is a political notion that I feel no affinity for, the Union Jack does nowt for me and the sooner we give Scotland full powers to raise their own taxes to pay for their benefits, hospitals and obesity clinics the better.

Good point I'm of the opposite view, I've English, Welsh and Scottish ancestory and I'm British first and English (place of my birth) second but if anyone asks what my race is I'd say Celtic (as if you have ever seen my Dad you will know why- let's say he's been mistaken for a Pakistani on more than one occassion) . I suppose it depends on personal circumstances.

I don't feel affinity for a flag I feel affinity for a nation but I would agree the sooner the Scots can spend their own money as opposed to some of the everyone else's the better.

Good point I'm of the opposite view, I've English, Welsh and Scottish ancestory and I'm British first and English (place of my birth) second but if anyone asks what my race is I'd say Celtic (as if you have ever seen my Dad you will know why- let's say he's been mistaken for a Pakistani on more than one occassion) . I suppose it depends on personal circumstances.

I don't feel affinity for a flag I feel affinity for a nation but I would agree the sooner the Scots can spend their own money as opposed to some of the everyone else's the better.

:censored: knows what I am. I've always liked to think I am mainly English with one or two strands of Irish and Welsh way back according to my mum. I've been reading up on genetics recently and even sent off for more info from Oxford something or other who test your DNA and find out where your roots are, but I'ved decided it's all bollocks as all they can do is track two strands out of thousands of strands. Apparently we're all from 36 mothers. And you know what else, they can't tell your race from your genetic make up...although your racists will probably say otherwise. Anyway it's all made me totally not arsed about where my roots are supposed to be from.

Sorry to go off on a tangent - BIG UP HAMBURG. LOVE IT.

Edited by Stevie_J

Forgive me if im wrong but im fairly certain Hamburg supporters have strong ties with Rangers supporters. I think that connection was established due to Celtic's links with St. Pauli. So probably a joint effort on thier part with Rangers to wind up Celtic fans.

I'm not so sure. Could it be a Latics logo?

It could be, but I don't think it is - it does look like it though at first glance, I'll admit!

If you look at it in it's original size, the word HAMBURG can be spelled out. And the simplest solution to the diamond in the top left quarter is that if it's a Hamburg flag, it'll be the Diamond SV logo and not the Owl in the Diamond emblem that we have.

the Scots can have their idependence as far as I'm cocerned

Fine with me too.

The border on the East coast is the key. Clearly the River Tweed should continue to mark the land border which should then extend 12 miles out out to sea, before turning North.

This would ensure that Scotland has 12 miles of territorial waters, as recoginsed under international law, and anything to the east of that should remain English. Especially if it has an oil rig in the area.

Forgive me if im wrong but im fairly certain Hamburg supporters have strong ties with Rangers supporters. I think that connection was established due to Celtic's links with St. Pauli. So probably a joint effort on thier part with Rangers to wind up Celtic fans.

Your quite right, there is a Hamburg SV supporters club in Glasgow that is now in its 32nd year and there is also the Hamburg chosen few Rangers supporters club in Germany. The Celtic/ St Pauli link is probably about 10 years old and is based on the left wing leanings of each clubs supporters (Ultras)

Here`s a good picture from the game :

img_1297.jpg

Without wanting to sound like a Sun reader, does anyone else think German fans having a banner saying 'No Surrender' is a bit ironic? because, y'know, they did. Twice.

Murky historical waters there, they didn't surrender in 1918, although they did later sign a peace treaty which conceded all the main points the Allied side wanted. You could however say much the same with regard to the UK government and Sein Fein though, which always puzzled me why it was chosen as the rallying cry of some English fans.