FAO Club / Barry / TTA - Marketing Idea - 3 for £30

oafc0000

Marketing Idea - 3 for £30  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Good idea?

• Yes
    • No

You know what I am getting really board of that line... Its hardly the most complex of business models is it! So is the job up for grabs or what ?

depends if you run it as a modern updated buisness or some arcaic monstrosity still dragging its heels from the 1970's really...

i know which version we hav at the moment,and to be so blase about it isnt really making mr hardy look great is it...

i have no doubt that amongst our own fans we would probably have at least a 100+ list of people who could do a better job than the current people doing it.

our marketing department fell flat on its arse the moment mr jarvis left for huddersfield....

ideas like this one are always worth considering,and a basic hourding at the top of sheepfoot lane would go a long way to getting us noticed again by lapsed or stay aways.

city were advertising on local radion the last 2 weeks about there cup game,using kids as the presenters basically getting in for a quid,something i have wanted us to try for ages but never seem to do,how else do you get kids involved these days.

As someone (wardle?) said, this idea has been tried before - in fact with less of an up-front commitment - they did a £10 a game for 2 consecutive games in 2006/07 I think - Dec 16th and 23rd vs Northampton & Brighton.

Gates were higher for the 2 games, quite significantly (although this was the "we've got our oldham back" season and we did make the play offs), however by Feb/Mar/Apr some games were back down to pre-offer levels of attendance, so in my opinion the claim that these offers have much of a long term effect is rather tenuous.

It should also be borne in mind that very little of the extra revenue (beer, food, programmes) that extra attendees might spend is actually turned into cash profit. Virtually none from food, and probably none from beer either. A bit from programmes, but you'd have to know the size of the print run and any stepped costs involved in producing a bigger run / over-producing.

Strike-it-lucky is probably the best money-spinner, so it would make sense to tie that into a promotion:-

e.g if you were going to have a £10 ticket, add £1 to include a "free" Strike-it-lucky at £11.

This would boost the prize pot, so if you did get £3000 extra fans, the pot would be £1500 (iirc it's 50% of taklings?) which would be a nice little prize rather than the somewhat non-life (nor even week) changing amounts that are typically available.

Just a quickie - it's £654 a fortnight for that billboard incl design and printing etc; see here:-

http://www.signposter.com/pages/find/find-...ard+costs#thumb

(it's not held the search - put ol1 2pa and click a 48 sheet)

Personally I'd suggest using sites further afield - most people passing there who are likely to go will be fans anyway.

£758 ish for one near hollins rd/oldham rd (ol9 7lh) at the M60 junction (don't think it's visible from m60 though), £758 for one at the junction of oldham rd / broadway (try m35 0es).

Maybe it's something we (as in owtb) and the trust could do - or just owtb?

£1 per member of owtb?

Edited by real

As someone (wardle?) said, this idea has been tried before - in fact with less of an up-front commitment - they did a £10 a game for 2 consecutive games in 2006/07 I think - Dec 16th and 23rd vs Northampton & Brighton.

Gates were higher for the 2 games, quite significantly (although this was the "we've got our oldham back" season and we did make the play offs), however by Feb/Mar/Apr some games were back down to pre-offer levels of attendance, so in my opinion the claim that these offers have much of a long term effect is rather tenuous.

I paid £2 (adult) and £1 (child) for those games. My first fixtures in far too long. I attended most of the remaining games that season with my son and have had season tickets for the 3 seasons since.

Gestures like those games do generate longer term income for the business.

It should also be borne in mind that very little of the extra revenue (beer, food, programmes) that extra attendees might spend is actually turned into cash profit. Virtually none from food, and probably none from beer either.
For those specific games, no. But when catering contracts are renewed these can take in to account structured marketing plans. If crowds do increase they payment from caterer to club should be higher.

I paid £2 (adult) and £1 (child) for those games. My first fixtures in far too long. I attended most of the remaining games that season with my son and have had season tickets for the 3 seasons since.

Gestures like those games do generate longer term income for the business.

For those specific games, no. But when catering contracts are renewed these can take in to account structured marketing plans. If crowds do increase they payment from caterer to club should be higher.

But in general, can it be concluded that gates actually rose after these offers? It will be the case that some people kept coming back, but few actually do (it would seem). So maybe a different type of offer is what's needed?

The other problem is that if you have really cheap games, then people will be reluctant to come back at full price - if you've paid £30 for three, would you pay £18 for 1 game? or £54 for three?

If people want to test something, then what about Gillingham, Southend and Brizzle Rovers at home - all Saturdays, each 2 weeks apart. All likely to be a similar attendace - no rivalry, not many away fans etc.

Take Gills as the pre-offer test; Do an offer for Southend - see what gate increase occurs; See what the Brizzle gate is to see if it has any effect beyond the offer.

Gills for £10 (if that's what people want it to be); One kid free, one more for £1 with the £10 ticket - cost of that element paid by the club and 2 posters from funds raised here? We'd need to raise £1300 or so.

Or possibly there's someone on here with a business who could put their business on it and pay for it?

But in general, can it be concluded that gates actually rose after these offers?
They did for a bit. The problem with Latics and marketing is that nothing is sustained.

The other problem is that if you have really cheap games, then people will be reluctant to come back at full price - if you've paid £30 for three, would you pay £18 for 1 game? or £54 for three?
Great point. Marketing is not simply about devaluing the price of your product.

The longer term plan has got to be to attract more fans who want to pay close to full price.

Erm, no, you said it would be paid for by 25 fans. It clearly wouldn't - more like 2725 - It's not me being short sighted, it's just a clear, rational, business oriented assesment of what you came up with and your justification for it. If that's beyond you, it's not my problem.

Like I said arrogant... Plus you seem to ignore my point about the apparent 1500 extra you think are turning up...

And don't be such a big girl's blouse - arrogant tone - it's just a bit of humour. You're clearly just bitter, probably because you can see that it was flawed but you wish you'd forseen it.

Just reread it and I read nothing remotely based in humour...

You could probably help the club more by actually turning up to support the team.

Nah... Sod that... Off to pub to drink some real ale :D

Edited by oafc0000

Do me a favour. Most ST holders miss games and buy a ST cos it's in their blood. Seems you just want to moan about something and anything. Give me strength. Most ST holders dispair at the crowds currently and would give up 95% of games to a tenner in to see 7500 there.

Don't really understand your comments ( are they directed at me personally or fans in general? ) Being a ST holder myself, i have no problem with such schemes if it benefits the club long term. I was merely pointing out that some ST holders will object knowing the mindset of some of our fans.....Like it or not it's a fact.

Like I said arrogant... Plus you seem to ignore my point about the apparent 1500 extra you think are turning up...

Ok, then, based on YOUR knowlege, how many pay on the days turn up?

Just reread it and I read nothing remotely based in humour...

Ok, your fail

Nah... Sod that... Off to pub to drink some real ale :D

Ok, not missed

:grin:

very good idea one that has been used before which unfortunatley didnt work how it was suppose too !

The Trust have helped, encouraged and requested the club identify area like this for the past 18 mths.

Hopefully some good news is just around the corner ! Until final decisions have been made I can not confirm any details. The Trust have no say in what ideas the club goes with, the final say is with the club ! They are the ones that have to impliment them which hope should be more workable soon.

Be assured all ideas are read and considered either on here on by email to the club.

Just a suggestion to advertise the clubs forthcoming fixtures,

produce some decent sized posters , approach the likes of

M'c donalds etc. to display in there windows at all their outlets

within say a 10 mile radius of Boundary Park as a trade off

they get free advertising at B.P.

Just a suggestion to advertise the clubs forthcoming fixtures,

produce some decent sized posters , approach the likes of

M'c donalds etc. to display in there windows at all their outlets

within say a 10 mile radius of Boundary Park as a trade off

they get free advertising at B.P.

Can you imagine standing there at 3.35 being told there are no pies left and turning round to see a massive picture of a steaming hot burger? There would be riots!