The Dave Penney File - Summer Signings

Just throwing a few thoughts together about DP's signings:

DEAN BRILL - came with a good reputation as a lower league keeper but having watched him several times, I have no confidence in him with crosses, free kicks or one-on-one situations. Can't think of any positives!!! MISS

JOE JACOBSEN - yet to see him play competitively.

JONATHON WORTHINGTON - Competitive workhorse, nothing more. A good indicator is do we miss him when he's not there? Yes, we do! HIT

ANDY HOLDSWORTH - Good squad man for me! Can do an adequate job on the right hand side but would never be first choice with a fully fit squad (not that there is any chance of that happening) HIT

PAWEL ABBOTT - Undoubted success! Wonder how he would perform with a partner up front who showed the same amount of effort! HIT

ROB PURDIE - Who?????

DEAN FURMAN - The potential is there and will get better. HIT

SEAN GREGAN - Pains me to say it but has been a good signing. Plus points are he looks fitter and more mobile (as much as his age allows) and his captain skills have improved (instead of shouting at everybody he now has quiet words with some players - DP to take credit there methinks). MINUS point is for a bloke his size, he offers no attacking threat. HIT

KEIGAN PARKER - Dismal failure. The only time he shows effort is when there a ball to run on to in clear space. For a pacy player, I have yet to see him take on and beat a man. But his worst crime in my eyes are his lack of challenges even when the odds are 70:30 in his favour. MISS

JOE COLBECK - Another dismal failure. I can't get one positive on this guy. He is clueless in every aspect of the game and we paid money for him. This lad is taking up valuable space in the atmosphere. MISS

All constructive comments are welcome!!!

Agree with most of what you say there, apart from Parker who has not been a total miss for me, he does provide the only pace we have in the forward line.

I do have my reservations about him myself especially his conversion rate in 1 on 1 situations (that his pace gets him in) but the jury is still out for me.

I'm still very hopeful for Purdie if we ever do get him fit, he was the subject of some very good reports from Darlington.

Pretty much agree there. No manager in history as ever got every single signing spot on. Some players for whatever reason just turn poo at a club and regain their form elsewhere (nowt to do with fans sometimes). The trouble for Latics and teams with their kind of finance once said player is in the budget it's then difficult to remove them.

Brill, well I think the board members know my thoughts. Colbeck is proving to be a waste (why on earth didn't he pull the trigger first half yest?) Furman isn't hitting the places it was rumoured he would, though there's promise there to work with. Houldsworth is a good squad man, a utility player. Worthington is a water carrier nothing more, Pav as been fantastic working the line alone mostly and had little chance to be an out and out scorer. :censored: is a decent work horse and adds steel in a midfield that at times is lightweight with Whittaker in there. Purdie, well we'll see if he ever regains fitness. Blackman can do it in flashes, he's young yet and needs to add consistency. Parker...mr inconsistant.

Edited by Lags

Brill - I thought at one point, after his shakey start, that he was looking like a half decent keeper. Unfortunatly, one mistake set his confidence right back when we all know it takes him 5-6 games to get it back. I doubt very much that he'll play too many more games this season. 3/10

Purdie - Looks a decent prospect on paper and from speaking to people he's a decent player but we've yet to see him so i can't even judge.

Joe Jacobson - As above

Holdsworth - Defensivly and arially sound but nothing special. Distribution can be poor at times and he doesn't look attack minded enough to help the wingers. Useful squad member so has to be rated as a half decent signing. 6/10

Worthington - The ball winner in the middle of the park we needed and looks solid enough when fit. We'll definatly miss his graft. 6/10

Abbot - Best signing by a mile, nobody needs me to write anything to prove why. If we gave him more chances, he'd have more goals. 9/10

Furman - Juries out at the moment, but i do think there is a lot more to come. I don't think we've really had enough players available to play a team which would allow him to play his game. I think if we can get a settled side after some players back from injury, he could have a very good second half of season. Great movement, occasionally great vision but distribution lacks at times. 6/10

Parker - Not a fan of Parker. He's nowhere near as quick as people think and even when he does get into decent positions with what pace he has - he either struggles to take on a man, or shoots badly. He backs out of far too many tackles, doesn't want to get hurt and is an all round powederpuff player. He tends to start games ok but disappears all to often. 4/10

Colbeck - Awful! I'm all for giving players time to settle before judging but i've not seen a single moment from colbeck in all the games he's played so far. He's a clumsy tackler, his ball control and dribbling is poor, his crossing is abysmal and some of the decisions (see not shooting yesterday!) are those of a POOR sunday league player. Yet to see him take on a man either. Waste of money. 2/10

:censored: - Very good signing, can play in a number of positions and looks a very good player. I'd be happy to have him in there for the rest of the season. 7/10

Brill - 4/10 - Shown us something decent recently and threw it all away against Southampton & Huddersfield

Jacobsen - 0/0 - Nothing seen of him yet. Another unlucky injury to pick up.

Purdie 0/0 - Same as above, cant wait for him to join the team.

Holdsworth 6/10 - Does his job, nothing special though. Good player to have in the squad.

Worthington 7/10 - Think he's been a good addition to the midfield, wins all the balls but goes quiet when picks up a yellow.

Abbott - 9/10 - Signing of the summer for me. Hold up play is excellent and is always running his :censored: off.

Furman - 7/10 - Had a solid start to the season, dropping abit now but again one of my faveourite players.

Parker 5/10 - Two goals and needs more, he's very much a 50/50 player sometimes he'll run his heart out then he'll be lazy. Dont know whether he still has his attitude, seems so sometimes.

Colbeck - 3/10 - Not impressed me at all, wimps out of every challenge just not the player we were told to have expected. I'm afraid to say it but the Bradford fans were right and now were stuck with a player that we dont need.

:censored: - 8/10 - I like :censored:, he is like a mix between John Worthington and Dean Furman. Battles for nearly every ball and likes to play with an attcking mind. One for the future at Blackburn

Blackman - 6/10 - Not really given a chance to play up front. shouldnt have been played on the wing vs Huddersfield. Great goal versus Brentford!

The Team - 7/10 - On the whole this team is quite good but could be better, there are many clubs in our league with a much bigger budget and "better" players. If they keep at it and keep Taylor fit we could push on this season.

Brill - 4/10 - Shown us something decent recently and threw it all away against Southampton & Huddersfield

Jacobsen - 0/0 - Nothing seen of him yet. Another unlucky injury to pick up.

Purdie 0/0 - Same as above, cant wait for him to join the team.

Holdsworth 6/10 - Does his job, nothing special though. Good player to have in the squad.

Worthington 7/10 - Think he's been a good addition to the midfield, wins all the balls but goes quiet when picks up a yellow.

Abbott - 9/10 - Signing of the summer for me. Hold up play is excellent and is always running his :censored: off.

Furman - 7/10 - Had a solid start to the season, dropping abit now but again one of my faveourite players.

Parker 5/10 - Two goals and needs more, he's very much a 50/50 player sometimes he'll run his heart out then he'll be lazy. Dont know whether he still has his attitude, seems so sometimes.

Colbeck - 3/10 - Not impressed me at all, wimps out of every challenge just not the player we were told to have expected. I'm afraid to say it but the Bradford fans were right and now were stuck with a player that we dont need.

:censored: - 8/10 - I like :censored:, he is like a mix between John Worthington and Dean Furman. Battles for nearly every ball and likes to play with an attcking mind. One for the future at Blackburn

Blackman - 6/10 - Not really given a chance to play up front. shouldnt have been played on the wing vs Huddersfield. Great goal versus Brentford!

The Team - 7/10 - On the whole this team is quite good but could be better, there are many clubs in our league with a much bigger budget and "better" players. If they keep at it and keep Taylor fit we could push on this season.

i agree but i think with a bit of backing, colbeck could become an average league one player. he seems like a confidence player and maybe a loan spell or something could see him improve. like it or not, we're stuck with him so we may as well get behind him becuase one player will turn to a team and nobody would want to play for the club

Just throwing a few thoughts together about DP's signings:

DEAN BRILL - came with a good reputation as a lower league keeper but having watched him several times, I have no confidence in him with crosses, free kicks or one-on-one situations. Can't think of any positives!!! MISS

JOE JACOBSEN - yet to see him play competitively.

JONATHON WORTHINGTON - Competitive workhorse, nothing more. A good indicator is do we miss him when he's not there? Yes, we do! HIT

ANDY HOLDSWORTH - Good squad man for me! Can do an adequate job on the right hand side but would never be first choice with a fully fit squad (not that there is any chance of that happening) HIT

PAWEL ABBOTT - Undoubted success! Wonder how he would perform with a partner up front who showed the same amount of effort! HIT

ROB PURDIE - Who?????

DEAN FURMAN - The potential is there and will get better. HIT

SEAN GREGAN - Pains me to say it but has been a good signing. Plus points are he looks fitter and more mobile (as much as his age allows) and his captain skills have improved (instead of shouting at everybody he now has quiet words with some players - DP to take credit there methinks). MINUS point is for a bloke his size, he offers no attacking threat. HIT

KEIGAN PARKER - Dismal failure. The only time he shows effort is when there a ball to run on to in clear space. For a pacy player, I have yet to see him take on and beat a man. But his worst crime in my eyes are his lack of challenges even when the odds are 70:30 in his favour. MISS

JOE COLBECK - Another dismal failure. I can't get one positive on this guy. He is clueless in every aspect of the game and we paid money for him. This lad is taking up valuable space in the atmosphere. MISS

All constructive comments are welcome!!!

Basically agree with that assessment.

2 pluses for me yesterday were seeing a keeper line a wall up properly at last this season and the fact that Taylor looked so much more like the player we know he can be, again, for the 1st time this seasson.

One other point is that I never doubted Greegs and always thought that from a football viewpoint it was a mistake to let him go. At the time finances dictated and it's been good business all round to get him back on reduced terms. Now that the team has settled into a system and style, I wonder if those who dubbed the chuckle brothers as useless early doors are now eating their words somewhat

Cheers,

Harry

2 pluses for me yesterday were seeing a keeper line a wall up properly at last this season and the fact that Taylor looked so much more like the player we know he can be, again, for the 1st time this seasson.

Yes, on first glance i thought Flahavan looked pretty decent. A bit small, but you can't have everything.

My main one is Parker. Are we sure an owtb fans team player didn't get on the pitch by accident? He's been utter garbage so far.

I also think Furman looks a little better than he is being given credit for as well.

Edited by OldhamSheridan