Oldham 3 Arsenal 1

It was a fabulous night. The glow around ISZ was liek it had eaten its ready break and three shredded wheat. Andy Ritchie eas amazing that night as was Irwin and Milligan... However good they were nothing and I mean nothing has ever come close to the smile on Nick Henry's face after that strike ... the thumbs up to JR ... Nothing got past him that night. For those old enough to remember Nick's playing career, the old cows arese with a banjo was written with him in mind... even from 6 yards. He went from strength to strength from that match. One of the true really golden moments of being a Latics fan. As for Nick well he would have ruled the FA cup too that season... the ball was clearly over the line ref .... we saw it from the opposite corner :ranting: Just like Chelsea on the first home match in Div 1 ... we would have beaten ANYONE that night.

ANYONE indeed! Like I said for 3 months or so we had the best team in the country on current form! Unstoppable!

Edited by laticsmad

3-0 and "We can play on grass as well!" :comeon:

Surely the best example of that though was down at Pompey away....... Pompey had an article in the program saying how Latics could only play on plastic and weren't the same side on grass. Uncle Joe pinned this up on the dressing room wall and the lads responded with an emphatic 4-1 win.

What fun it was singing "we can play on grass as well" to the home fans. Happy happy days :grin:

Surely the best example of that though was down at Pompey away....... Pompey had an article in the program saying how Latics could only play on plastic and weren't the same side on grass. Uncle Joe pinned this up on the dressing room wall and the lads responded with an emphatic 4-1 win.

What fun it was singing "we can play on grass as well" to the home fans. Happy happy days :grin:

Went there too. Brilliant away trip that were. Made some mates with a few Southampton fans that day who bobbed along to see Pompey lose and they were loving it. Stayed in touch after that and they came up for our game at home to Brizzle Rovers later in the season!

definitely remember that day! joe didn't say anything in the dressing room,the programme note said it all!

I was too young for a BIG game like that but I remember being able to walk out of my house and been able to hear the roar from BP from where I was in Springhead, it was a very loud atmosphere that night!

Was one of my very first memories of the Latics was the Arsenal game. Infact I can't remember anything Latic before that moment.

Remember the night really well, on the plastic against the mighty Arsenal, plenty of people thought we'd get a good tanking, how wrong they were.

I used to stand in the Chaddy end back then.

I remember what a great atmosphere it was and as the goals went in, it just took the roof off the place.

I particularly remember walking back to the car and then the drive home, I was just absolutely buzzing and not for the only time that season either.

Stitch was just different class that night and had a great game.

Unfortunatly those great days are very unlikely to ever return.

:disappointed: sad to say you maybe right

• 2 weeks later...
Love the story mate and the night in question. Makes it all the more painful to see our club in such a sorry state. Dont get me wrong I don't expect us to get to that level again but just some real foundation on the playing front would suffice!!!

we should invite the best players from the joe royle era to give them a going over..let them know what it means to play for oafc.

the passion has diminished.