That midfield...

What a refreshingly accurate summary of O'Grady's contribution to a team.

From a manager i have a lot of respect & time for to be honest........

COG hasn't been given a chance here to show what Hill is talking about, and my aren't we missing someone up top like that right now in Abbotts absence?

A great bit of loan work that

What a refreshingly accurate summary of O'Grady's contribution to a team.

COG hasn't been given a chance here to show what Hill is talking about, and my aren't we missing someone up top like that right now in Abbotts absence?

I don't think it helped matters that our best midfielder (by a long shot) played at centre back today due to the managers inability to draft in defensive cover!

Absolutely 100% spot on, Mr Sinnott. Yourself and Mr RBL were bob on at HT on Tuesday. Just glad you were wrong in your other prediction about :censored: (though in view of his yellow it doesn't make that much difference I suppose).

Edited by danoafc

The reason the midfield is so poor is because the wide men do not come inside to help out, so the central 2 are isolated and have to play deeper than they should to stem the opposition midfield.

It's fine having wide men if they are creating lots of chances for the strikers, but the present lot can't even do that -hence you have a goalscoring problem as well

The only way to stop this deteriorating is to play 4 across the middle close together (ball winner, holding player and 2 creative).

If the manager persists with the present tactics then expect more defeats.

The wide players don't have to come inside if they are doing their job properly...the trouble is our wingers are nowhere near the required standard!!!

Holden, Milligan, Henry, Adams.!!!!!!!!

Two tireless grafters, not blessed with boundless skill but 100%ers not afraid to get forward and support the attack..... and now the difference...two out and out wingers who nearly always got to the by-line and delivered 90% of their crosses into the danger areas.

We have played with ineffective wingers for a few seasons now and unless they get to that by-line more often we will not create the necessary chances for the strikers

Yes, yes it is.

He wasn't going to get a game here until Abbott got injured, he was surplus to requirements. We've let him go out on loan to develop as a player and he's done well at Rochdale, so when we get him back we should be getting a better player back.

That's the theory anyway, I don't think we'll ever get him back and i don't think he's good enough for us.

Yes, yes it is.

He wasn't going to get a game here until Abbott got injured, he was surplus to requirements. We've let him go out on loan to develop as a player and he's done well at Rochdale, so when we get him back we should be getting a better player back.

That's the theory anyway, I don't think we'll ever get him back and i don't think he's good enough for us.

Nah, we were so short of options upfront after we'd agreed to his hasty loan (& that of Lewis too) that we had to draft in Blackman on loan, a 19 year old unproven at this level. Even with Pav in the starting X1; COG should have been in the match day squad from the 1st game; to come of the bench as 'something different' to turn a game. You know, like he did in his few sparing cameo sub appearances last season.....

Thing is, if he were around with us; he'd have had the run of games he needs to cement a place in the team.

The ironic thing is; we're struggling for a presence up front, a target man who can give the defenders a battle, hold the ball & bring into play his fellow striker & the midfielders. Oh, and score a few goals too. We have one of those; he's doing all the above for a side located not 5 miles away from us.

Sad thing is, when he is available to come back to us, he wont as i think he'll stay at Dale for a fee. That fee then wont go anywhere near to bringing in any players for us. poo!

Absolutely 100% spot on, Mr Sinnott. Yourself and Mr RBL were bob on at HT on Tuesday. Just glad you were wrong in your other prediction about :censored: (though in view of his yellow it doesn't make that much difference I suppose).

Cheers B)

Good job he didn't see red though, losing 2-0 to their second string without a fight was bad enough.

...he picked tonight will take us down.

Not a tackle in them. I should have gone home when I heard the team.

True.

But I also think a midfield of Taylor, Worthington, Furman and Purdie would be better than our best midfield four of last season.

Obviously that's just my feeling - we need to see them play together, at least once this season, please! :blink:

True.

But I also think a midfield of Taylor, Worthington, Furman and Purdie would be better than our best midfield four of last season.

Obviously that's just my feeling - we need to see them play together, at least once this season, please! :blink:

I suppose we need to keep in mind the fact that Purdie's never played at this level, spending his career so far in the 2nd div with Darlington and the conference with Hereford. I remenber the expectation people had of Ronnie's Chris Swailes when he got fit then the disappointment when he turned out to be no better than the players we already had.

Crosses.

Crosses. Crosses. Crosses. Crosses. Crosses. Crosses. Crosses. Crosses!

In the first ten minutes or so, we put two or three dangerous crosses in the box and despite them not being brilliant crosses, nonetheless defenders have to deal with them. Our midfield were left wanting very badly, never won enough balls and when they did win it, weren't spread wide where we could get a ball into the box.

What a contrast from the second half against Colchester, when we must have pumped nearly 20 balls in the box and always looked a threat. The problem is crystal.

I suppose we need to keep in mind the fact that Purdie's never played at this level, spending his career so far in the 2nd div with Darlington and the conference with Hereford. I remenber the expectation people had of Ronnie's Chris Swailes when he got fit then the disappointment when he turned out to be no better than the players we already had.

Chris Swailes never played for us when fit! He had limped through his previous season at Rotherham with a broken heel (erm, OUCH for a very physical CB) and it never healed when he was with us. You could see the agony on his face when he played on injections for almost a half in one of those several must-win games that we didn't win (Barnsley?) to save us from Terrible for as long as he could. Before Terrible duly came on and threw the game away.

Any team with Keigan Parker in are only going one way.

Everything I hate about football in one excuse for a player.

E4e

ENUFF

100% agree. I am finding is harder and harder to keep faith in DP when he keeps playing that lazy and passionless.......finding it hard not to swear here. Put a kid in from the reserves - at least we would get 100%

DP - my advice for what it is worth......

Find a reason to get rid of Parker (and i mean OUT of the club). I have done this on occassion with teams I have managed at work and trust me, this will have 2 benefits for you:

1. it will act as a wake up call for the rest of the team and you'll get an extra few percent out of them.

2. it will establish respect for you with many of the fans.

Parker out!