That midfield...

The reason the midfield is so poor is because the wide men do not come inside to help out, so the central 2 are isolated and have to play deeper than they should to stem the opposition midfield.

It's fine having wide men if they are creating lots of chances for the strikers, but the present lot can't even do that -hence you have a goalscoring problem as well

The only way to stop this deteriorating is to play 4 across the middle close together (ball winner, holding player and 2 creative).

If the manager persists with the present tactics then expect more defeats.

The reason the midfield is so poor is because the wide men do not come inside to help out, so the central 2 are isolated and have to play deeper than they should to stem the opposition midfield.

It's fine having wide men if they are creating lots of chances for the strikers, but the present lot can't even do that -hence you have a goalscoring problem as well

The only way to stop this deteriorating is to play 4 across the middle close together (ball winner, holding player and 2 creative).

sorry BP I don't agree, the game just simply bypasses the middle two, they look well out of their depth. The centre pairing is a big problem

sorry BP I don't agree, the game just simply bypasses the middle two, they look well out of their depth. The centre pairing is a big problem

I don't think it helped matters that our best midfielder (by a long shot) played at centre back today due to the managers inability to draft in defensive cover!

we could have done with :censored: in the middle to put a few tackles in and maybe win the midfield. think its time for whits to be dropped just not good enough same with kelvin. he doesnt have a clue what to do with the ball at his feet you can actualy see it written all over his face when he has it. give stevens a try cant be worse than whits

Or maybe the central midfielders arn't winning the ball in the centre of the park to lay-off to the wide men??

I couldn't believe the space and freedom to roam that neil killkenny was given tonight.

Especially fter the last game he had here and watching him on the box sunday,everything goes through Kilkenny and we let him play

Listening to Keith Hill the Rochdale manager on the way home ,

2 very striking comments -

"COG was signed as a target man and what a great hold up player he is , any goals he scores are a bonus after what he offers the front /midfield men"

"I can forgive my side a bad day at the office but what i can't forgive is not giving 100% commitment and passion".

Both sadly lacking at BP at the moment !!!!!! :disappointed:

I couldn't believe the space and freedom to roam that neil killkenny was given tonight.

penney didnt learn from the first match, kilkenny made them tick in both games and over the 2 games we have had no answer.

ive actually got the point where if we lose and put up a fight i dont mind

but this season, if we concede...sorry when we concede we are beaten and have no way back in and its no fun anymore

I don't agree with that BP sorry, for me the wide men stay to narrow for too long, one the CMs have got possesion then an outlay to the forwards or the wingers which ever is the best option, they take too long to give a defender coming forward or one of the midfield men an option for a searching pass.

I don't agree with that BP sorry, for me the wide men stay to narrow for too long, one the CMs have got possesion then an outlay to the forwards or the wingers which ever is the best option, they take too long to give a defender coming forward or one of the midfield men an option for a searching pass.

I’m another who doesn’t agree with that BP1960 –

The problem in our problem midfield are the central 2; not the wide 2. If the wide men come in as you say; then we have no width and no outlet to feed from the back other than a hoof ball to a central striker who won’t win the ball.

We currently have 2 in the centre of the park who are “neither nor” midfielders – they’re not imposing physical yard-dog ball winners / hasslers nor are they creative attack minded passers / finishers so as we are set up at present we’re losing the physical battle and we’re not creating anything either.

This area is the key one that needs sorting ASAP – the middle 2 should provide the drive, verve, the impetus & tempo for the whole team; and at present these 2 in Furman & Whitts are causing a hole host of problems for the rest of the team with their play.

Whitts is a waste of a shirt IMO; what he offers in his play is far outweighed by what he doesn’t; with his minicing out of challenges both on the pitch & in the air and with his ability to go missing he causes so many problems in the centre. He needs to be taken out of the side; to be replaced by; well Worthy when he’s fit but right now; Stephens, Holdsworth, even Rowney would be a better option in there. We have to try something different as its not working; big time – changing Whitts may just see an improvement in Furman too……………

Football is a team game and it is hard for players when the team as a whole isn't playing well. First half hour we (including Furman and Whitaker) were looking okay but then Leeds got on top because they have a Premiership footballer in Kilkenny - we knew the guy was quality so why be surprised?

That said, what did Leeds do to open us up until the last ten minutes? Mostly it was long balls or getting it wide quickly so I'm not sure the midfield are to blame entirely. Plus it is hard when Heffernan and Smalley lost the ball every time they got it - where was the midfield's time to get up and get on the ball?

Whitaker has abilities at football, but we don't play to them and he's being asked to play too deep - as a consequence he looks poor.

Edited by De_La_Vega