Where is the Passion?

Losing to Leeds always hurts but what really annoyed me last night was the lack of passion from players and coaching staff.

It is clear we are technically inferior to Leeds so where was the "Yard Dog" or "Kettering" spirit? Was it just me or did we simply not want it enough?

Where were the thumping tackles?

Where was the closing down and harrassing of their midfield?

Can you remember one player getting annoyed when a decision went against him or a pass went astray?

Why did we only pick up 2 yellow cards? Of course I don't want us to collect yellow cards but it is indicative of our lack of passion that in one of our biggest games of the season we only conceded 2 yellows. One for a stupid petulant foul by Paul Black and the other from one of the few/only players who showed real passion - :censored:.

Why did they have no yellow cards? If we had been "in their face" it is reasonable to assume they would have picked up a couple of yellows.

Why was our coaching staff so friendly with the Leeds bench? I sit in the Main stand paddock and a few of us commented on how "friendly" Penney et al were with the Leeds staff throughout the game. It felt like we were saying thanks for coming Leeds, we are honoured to have you here, take 3 points, please think well of us and do come again.

Maybe I am misreading some of this but honestly I see more passion and will to win in the 5-a-side league I play in!

I'm no expert in man management but we have to find a way of injecting some passion into the players. Maybe this needs to start with the management team leading by example, maybe we need to make an example of some of the passionless players we have - top of my list would be Mr Parker

Losing to Leeds always hurts but what really annoyed me last night was the lack of passion from players and coaching staff.

It is clear we are technically inferior to Leeds so where was the "Yard Dog" or "Kettering" spirit? Was it just me or did we simply not want it enough?

I have not seen anything to persuade me that we would be able to beat Kettering.

maybe we need to make an example of some of the passionless players we have - top of my list would be Mr Parker

AGREED!!! lazy doesnt wanna be here :censored:s out of challenges if he doesnt feel the pride when wearing the latics shirt as you or i do the he should f**k off

Spot on, if latics folded tomorrow he wouldnt give a :censored:, we have some players, (Danny springs to mind) who are similar, i think Danny does care he's just not very good.....Parker does not care about you, me or the rest of us paying his wage.....he dosnt care about Latics full stop

Spot on, if latics folded tomorrow he wouldnt give a :censored:, we have some players, (Danny springs to mind) who are similar, i think Danny does care he's just not very good.....Parker does not care about you, me or the rest of us paying his wage.....he dosnt care about Latics full stop

Add Smalley and Lewi to the list too........

I watched Rammy Utd v Congleton recently. What a game! 3-1 down, Rammy won 4-3 in injury time.

Much more passion and effort in that 90 mins than I have seen all season at BP. Honestly. Every single player on both sides played like that was going to be their last game.

That's the future. Leaving the pub at 2:55pm, bovril, pie and peas for £2, that's football.

E4e

ENUFF

Add Smalley and Lewi to the list too........

Why didn't theplayers to treat the game as a cup tie and battle for their lives?...IMO there is a fear factor at the club, the manager and coaches appear to be in a rigid defensive mode of sideways and backwards passing and the players too frightened to express themselves.

I say discard these shackles and let's see some imagination and flair.

Why didn't theplayers to treat the game as a cup tie and battle for their lives?...IMO there is a fear factor at the club, the manager and coaches appear to be in a rigid defensive mode of sideways and backwards passing and the players too frightened to express themselves.

That's how I see it - more :censored: management in short. Grow some bollocks Penney and start trying to provide some entertainment - that's the business you're in. Results are hardly excusing the dire 'fooball', as they did with Ronnie Moore.

I never buy into the whole "the players don't care" thing. Even if they don't care about the club they do care about their careers, and if they don't care about their careers they do care about their appearance bonus and/or pay packet. I'm sure most would agree that attitude and commitment is what allows most 3rd division players to 'make it' in the first place. Claiming the players don't care/try is the standard thing for disgruntled fans to shout when things are going badly. Ironically, it's probably born out of seeing the players heads drop......which could only ever happen if they did actually care. :unsure:

I'm sure most would agree that attitude and commitment is what allows most 3rd division players to 'make it' in the first place.

Yeah, but the opposite is true. Attitude and commitment is the thing that means League 1 players aren't Championship or Premiership players - at the end of the day, they just dont give a crap enough... or have the dedication to really bust their balls to be the best.

People such as Lee, Smalley, Lewi, Poison Scottish Dwarf - all have the ability, its just they will never be a top notch player as they wont put in everything they could to improve - tbh, that is exactly why they are playing for us, so I wouldnt beat them down with it, its just frustrating.

I agree however it starts from the boss - but that is also an indication of the mangers abilities. What differentiates a league 1 manager to a Champ/prem manager? I think is not technical ability, but the knowlege of how to pick a player and getting them to die for you on the pitch. Larry is a great example - this leeds team aint too different to what GaryMac floundered with, and he turned an average lashers side into world beaters - if only we had someone who could do that.

The jury is very much out on Mr Penney's "tough, hard working side" ...

Finally - I'm still bemused by Furman - where is this player desperate to better himself and be on the plane to south africa? The only way he is getting there at the moment is if SA need a waterboy.... but hey, perhaps that is also an indication of Penney's management.

Finally - I'm still bemused by Furman - where is this player desperate to better himself and be on the plane to south africa? The only way he is getting there at the moment is if SA need a waterboy.... but hey, perhaps that is also an indication of Penney's management.

i said that on Tuesday , and I know a hell of a lot of my South African colleagues have never heard of him , he can carry my bags though if he wants , its the least he can do after ive paid for a season ticket :lol:

Yeah, but the opposite is true. Attitude and commitment is the thing that means League 1 players aren't Championship or Premiership players - at the end of the day, they just dont give a crap enough... or have the dedication to really bust their balls to be the best.

People such as Lee, Smalley, Lewi, Poison Scottish Dwarf - all have the ability, its just they will never be a top notch player as they wont put in everything they could to improve - tbh, that is exactly why they are playing for us, so I wouldnt beat them down with it, its just frustrating.

It's an interesting and perhaps valid counter-view, though I'd say that these players are hardly so talented that they've made a living out of the game despite poor attitudes and lack of effort on the pitch. That said I suppose Lee and Lewi haven't quite made it yet and look like they won't, when they certainly should be doing.

The difference between Championship and League 1 players is consistency (and physical attributes). To support your view I suppose these are only improved through dedication...

I agree with this. When Colchester went down to ten and we actually had a go at them and started to attack, the players looked to be enjoying themselves as well. Attacking and scoring goals is fun. Now maybe we can't constantly be on the attack as most games the opposition will have 11 on the field but maybe sometimes we could let them express themselves? One or two of the players might even crack a smile.

Let them off the lead Penney and lets see some shots on target.

I agree with this. When Colchester went down to ten and we actually had a go at them and started to attack, the players looked to be enjoying themselves as well. Attacking and scoring goals is fun. Now maybe we can't constantly be on the attack as most games the opposition will have 11 on the field but maybe sometimes we could let them express themselves? One or two of the players might even crack a smile.

Let them off the lead Penney and lets see some shots on target.

Talking of SOME SHOTS, Why has Whittaker stopped having a shot? He gets just outside the area, where he has scored some good goals in the past, he passes Back

I don't get to a lot of games, but I was at the Leeds match on Tuesday and it looked from where I was sitting that Penney was smiling and joking when we were a goal down.

I'm no expert on management, but when we're losing to big rivals I don't reckon there's much to smile about - if you're losing and you see your manager beaming it's not exactly going to put the fear of God into you and inspire passion is it?

I might be overreacting on this one - but it just didn't look right to me.

I don't get to a lot of games, but I was at the Leeds match on Tuesday and it looked from where I was sitting that Penney was smiling and joking when we were a goal down.

I'm no expert on management, but when we're losing to big rivals I don't reckon there's much to smile about - if you're losing and you see your manager beaming it's not exactly going to put the fear of God into you and inspire passion is it?

I might be overreacting on this one - but it just didn't look right to me.

Perhaps he was negotiating 11 new players from Leeds in the January transfer window. :wink:

or larry grayson had just told him dont worry...were giving you a :censored: load of cash for taylor in jan so you can buy some new blood

Quite possibly.

Though i'd rather have a couple of players in a swap. I wouldnt trust any transfer fee to go anywhere near our team. Someone like Kandol, plus a midfielder would do nicely.

However, I highly doubt the powers that be would let Taylor go without lining thier pockets minimising club losses. Plus cash doesnt have to actually be convinced to come and play for us instead of leeds.

I watched Rammy Utd v Congleton recently. What a game! 3-1 down, Rammy won 4-3 in injury time.

Much more passion and effort in that 90 mins than I have seen all season at BP. Honestly. Every single player on both sides played like that was going to be their last game.

That's the future. Leaving the pub at 2:55pm, bovril, pie and peas for £2, that's football.

E4e

ENUFF

Been feeling the same recently it says alot that my most memorable moment of watching football in 2009 was Glossop North End's trip to wembley those lads battled tooth and dagger just to play at the home of football while combining a normal 9 to 5 job still some of our lads will know what that feels like soon. Thats a 9 to 5 job by the way not a trip to wembley.

Been feeling the same recently it says alot that my most memorable moment of watching football in 2009 was Glossop North End's trip to wembley those lads battled tooth and dagger just to play at the home of football while combining a normal 9 to 5 job still some of our lads will know what that feels like soon. Thats a 9 to 5 job by the way not a trip to wembley.

Never mind nights out at the dogs, all Latics players should be to be made to travel to a non league night game in the dephs of winter to watch a local team like Hyde, Stalybridge or Droylsden at somwhere like Blyth.

They would see the commitments the part timers put in and soon realise how privileged they are.

Never mind nights out at the dogs, all Latics players should be to be made to travel to a non league night game in the dephs of winter to watch a local team like Hyde, Stalybridge or Droylsden at somwhere like Blyth.

They would see the commitments the part timers put in and soon realise how privileged they are.

They could also do some scouting as this will be the level some will soon be playing at.

As the players only effectively do what is a half day in real working terms what are they all doing at 2'oclock and more importantly what are they doing to improve their games. In may 2008 when all his team mates when on holiday their was a footballer who came upto Glossop to spend his summer working hard on his fitness doing hill sprints, weight training, and kick boxing he went on to become his clubs player of the season last year. That player was Stephen Ireland of Man City its that kind of desire to better yourself that gets you to the top. What are the likes of Kieran Lee, Deane Smalley, Kelvin Lomax, Joe Colbeck, Kiegan Parker, Danny whittaker to name but a few doing to improve their games because I see no evidence of it.

They could also do some scouting as this will be the level some will soon be playing at.

As the players only effectively do what is a half day in real working terms what are they all doing at 2'oclock and more importantly what are they doing to improve their games. In may 2008 when all his team mates when on holiday their was a footballer who came upto Glossop to spend his summer working hard on his fitness doing hill sprints, weight training, and kick boxing he went on to become his clubs player of the season last year. That player was Stephen Ireland of Man City its that kind of desire to better yourself that gets you to the top. What are the likes of Kieran Lee, Deane Smalley, Kelvin Lomax, Joe Colbeck, Kiegan Parker, Danny whittaker to name but a few doing to improve their games because I see no evidence of it.

Remember reading an interview with Defoe and he says when all the players finish training, he stays behind with Les Ferdinand for a couple of hours to practice his shooting and control, and I think he's one of the leanest strikers in the PL. Not an ounce of fat on him, pure strength and muscle.

If players aren't willing to better themselves, how will the team get better?

Remember reading an interview with Defoe and he says when all the players finish training, he stays behind with Les Ferdinand for a couple of hours to practice his shooting and control, and I think he's one of the leanest strikers in the PL. Not an ounce of fat on him, pure strength and muscle.

If players aren't willing to better themselves, how will the team get better?

Eaxactly if these lads want to make a decent career out of the game or in some cases prolong it for aslong as possible then they have to go the extra yard to do it the rewards in proffessional football are their for all to see if they want it enough they can get it.