League 1 playing budgets

Leeds - £8.5m!

8 and a half million quid!! :shock:

No wonder they are top of the p*****g league!!

Charlton £7.5m

Norwich £6m+

Hudds £5m+

Dongs £4.45m

It staggers me that all of these clubs who have been in financial hot water at one point or another are still able to spend these sorts of amounts on player budgets! :shock:

Leeds - £8.5m!

Charlton £7.5m

Norwich £6m+

Hudds £5m+

Dongs £4.45m

It staggers me that all of these clubs who have been in financial hot water at one point or another are still able to spend these sorts of amounts on player budgets! :shock:

SC said ours was about a third of mk dons, so thats what, 1.5 million??

Wake up call for some people.

:sauce: ?

According to the other Simon about a year ago our playing budget is (or at least was) £2m.

Much as I'd love to see Bates in jail for the tricks he pulled in taking Leeds into and out of administration, I bet their £8.5m is a smaller proportion of turnover than our wage bill is...

Edited by garcon

This season is distorted though with the amount of big hitters. Recent history shows similar sides to Latics going up. So why not us?

Because many factors come into play during a season, including things such as luck.

Football is not a simple game. Just because we have a similar budget to other teams that have gone up has no bearing on what happens to us. I am sure when we hit the top division in the 90s there were many clubs with bigger budgets wondering how the hell we got there.

I personally think we may have gone up with Dowie, if Pogs hadnt got injured, Fitz hadnt been sent off vs Crewe at home and something else I cant remember. These are the fine lines between success and failure in football.

This season is distorted though with the amount of big hitters. Recent history shows similar sides to Latics going up. So why not us?

You're right Lags, but cream always rises to the top, and teams with consistantly big budgets, always get up eventually, be it 1 year (Leicester, possibly Norwich & Charlton) or 2-3+ years (Wigan, Forest, Sheff Weds etc.)

Small budget sides seem to do OK and do compete, but this season, it's not surprising that the top 6 clubs all have the biggest budgets. Like Wozz says, elements of luck regarding injuries and a good manager have always been crucial to this, which is precisely what we've always lacked.

I personally think we may have gone up with Dowie, if Pogs hadnt got injured, Fitz hadnt been sent off vs Crewe at home and something else I cant remember. These are the fine lines between success and failure in football.

I think if we had that squad, in practically every other season we've been down here for, other than that particular season, we'd have walked the league comfortably. Such a tough division that season, with just about all the top teams promoted long ago and sustained in the Championship or higher. Wigan, Cardiff, QPR, Plymouth, Bristol City, Blackpool... all up there or higher.

:sauce: ?

According to the other Simon about a year ago our playing budget is (or at least was) £2m.

Much as I'd love to see Bates in jail for the tricks he pulled in taking Leeds into and out of administration, I bet their £8.5m is a smaller proportion of turnover than our wage bill is...

Highly likely methinks - their average attendance must be at least six times ours - so divide 8.5 by 6 ...

Leeds - £8.5m!

Charlton £7.5m

Norwich £6m+

Hudds £5m+

Dongs £4.45m

Over the coming decades, most of those clubs that will lose their professional status (or cease to exist altogether) will be from among those with small playing budgets, though. Killed off through lack of achievement breeding apathy and disinterest. Not with a bang but a whimper and all that.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Oh thought it was off a website of some sorts. Did it say what the other clubs budgets were for the season?

Nah mate, it was one of our owners who was responding to questions at a forum/consultation on the new proposed ground. He stated that he'd seen the budgets for all these club and reeled off the top 6 or so.

And/or in terms how a minority of idiots expect us to compete with clubs with such budgets

Surely there cant be many on here who expect us to compete with the likes of Leeds and Charlton....................... however many will be very frustrated that when we have next to nowt we go spending it on the likes of Colbeck???????? :shock: