mark hughes sacked at 7.30pm

I wouldn't call a few injuries meltdown. It might mean they finish second or third instead of winning, but that's hardly a disaster on the scale of Liverpool's season.

The meltdown may come when Fergie retires. It'll be very difficult for the new manager - whoever he is - to carry on the momentum. And even just one season out of the Champions League could be pretty bloody painful with those interest repayments.

They will pay what's needed for the best manager available. They have to. The consequences of the next manager failing are just too big.

Why the Liverpool hating? Nearly 20 years working in Manchester! :lol:

As a United fan said on Jimmy Wagg last night, the bias of the entire media towards the club obscures the problems both on and off the pitch.

They will not be able to pay whatever it takes because they can't afford it, just like the £80 million they got for Ronaldo went into servicing the Glaziers' debt, and not towards new players, as promised. That's why they had to go for an injury-prone free transfer that nobody wanted.

A debt-free club-the world's first global football brand-committing slow suicide is testimony to the bizarre world we find ourselves living in.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I think he should have been given more time. It's a shame because just when a young British manager gets some proper clout in the transfer market - enough to allow them to compete with the big four - he goes and gets sacked.

These Arab owners have a lot to answer for. I mean it's not as if Hughes is any more or less established in football than his replacement. He must be absolutely gutted. To be honest, I'm gutted for him.

He's now got to go from a club with almost unlimited resources to...where? The main managerial sack candidates are almost by definition down in the basement of the division. That means Hughes will go from having all the money in the world and a decent, forward looking team, to having no money and a team that's been on the end of too many pastings for a club to keep the last manager. His next opportunity might come at, say, Wolverhampton Wanderers.

It'll be a real shame if he has to take one of those teams back to Eastlands for a proper seeing-to off a revived team of players - who he bought, but who couldn't do enough to keep him his job. Tragic.

Today is a sad day for football.

:grin:

But Hughes may be going before the transfer window opens.

Which speculative rag did you read that in? :grin::

It's purely my own speculation based on form and the ambitions of the owner.

Remember where you read it first.

New manager - new signings in January - Micah Richards on his way? 20% to OAFC......watch this space.

Remember where you read it first.

New manager - new signings in January - Micah Richards on his way? 20% to OAFC......watch this space.

Latics get a sell on clause on Micah Richards? Thanks for pointing that out Diego... doubt if anyone on here had noticed before!

:wink:

Why the Liverpool hating? :unsure:

Where to start!

They are THE most arrogant fans' around, even moreso than the ones at Glazer Land Park or the splinter group who formed FCUM! Its their point of view or nothing.

The way they banged on and on about Justice for the 96 Liverpool fans who died at Hillsborough, yet you never hear a single word about Heysel and the 39 Italians who died that day. You'd think Liverpool were the only club to have ever had a tragedy! Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of BOTH tragedies, their fans' actions have resulted in (A) English clubs banned from Europe for 5 years and (B) All seater stadium (and inflated entry prices) at the majority of English grounds.

Also, the way they made a huge deal about freeing the 'innocent' Michael Shields and getting Justice for Michael, yet have not made a single message about getting the 'guilty' person to own up. Effectively getting Justice for the Bulgarian barman! All Liverpool fans are hypocritical 'see you next tuesday' IMO.

I hope they NEVER win the League again, and whilst the Fat Spanish Waiter is in charge it will always be the case!

Where to start!

They are THE most arrogant fans' around, even moreso than the ones at Glazer Land Park or the splinter group who formed FCUM! Its their point of view or nothing.

The way they banged on and on about Justice for the 96 Liverpool fans who died at Hillsborough, yet you never hear a single word about Heysel and the 39 Italians who died that day. You'd think Liverpool were the only club to have ever had a tragedy! Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of BOTH tragedies, their fans' actions have resulted in (A) English clubs banned from Europe for 5 years and (B) All seater stadium (and inflated entry prices) at the majority of English grounds.

Also, the way they made a huge deal about freeing the 'innocent' Michael Shields and getting Justice for Michael, yet have not made a single message about getting the 'guilty' person to own up. Effectively getting Justice for the Bulgarian barman! All Liverpool fans are hypocritical 'see you next tuesday' IMO.

I hope they NEVER win the League again, and whilst the Fat Spanish Waiter is in charge it will always be the case!

Is this the "Bolton plastic manc" coming out?? :wink:

No, I was born and lived in Oldham for 20+ years. Just 'cos I'm not part of the OWTB clique doesn't mean I can't have an opinion!!!!

Oh eck :blush: I'm not sure who or what the OWTB clique is, so i guess i'm not either - as for my comment, it was light hearted and made in jest and having worked previously in Farnworth, knew that it was a sarcastic statement rather than an offensive one. Obviously if i have touched a nerve, then it wasn't intended and of course i apologise!

As for your opinion - crack on!

Oh eck :blush: I'm not sure who or what the OWTB clique is, so i guess i'm not either - as for my comment, it was light hearted and made in jest and having worked previously in Farnworth, knew that it was a sarcastic statement rather than an offensive one. Obviously if i have touched a nerve, then it wasn't intended and of course i apologise!

As for your opinion - crack on!

Sorry mate, I had supped a fair bit yesterday and read your post in a different light to what it was intended! I tend to get a bit of stick for living in these parts and being a Latics fan. Having read it again I now realise it was sarcastic!

Me too. Every scouser we met on that marvelous day back in Jan 08 was warm, friendly and humble - before and after the match. One everton fan in a boozer on Scotland rd bought all 6 of us a pint. Met a lot of good scousers at cream too. They're not a bad lot in general if you ask me

Sorry mate, I had supped a fair bit yesterday and read your post in a different light to what it was intended! I tend to get a bit of stick for living in these parts and being a Latics fan. Having read it again I now realise it was sarcastic!

:chubb: No probs, I knwo when I used to work over that end, the Bolton guys hated being referred to as being 'mancs' and calling them 'closet' reds used to really infuriate them :lol:

As for the 'fat spanish waiter', i think the ghost of christmas future is just around the corner for him....

If I'm honest that's a familiar story. We met up with some Everton friends before and after that FA Cup game. They were incredibly magnanimous afterwards and great hosts. Maybe it's just the red half I don't like... :wink:

To be honest, Ive never really met an evertonian I havent liked. They are proper football fans, and strangely dont seem to have this blind delusion that the sun shines out of the city of Liverpool's arse. It is very much the red half I dont like.

:)

To be honest, Ive never really met an evertonian I havent liked. They are proper football fans, and strangely dont seem to have this blind delusion that the sun shines out of the city of Liverpool's arse. It is very much the red half I dont like.

:)

Would agree with that very much.

What makes me laugh is the number of conversations I have had with liverpool fans which only result with them repeating "5 Times" over and over again.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

The Scousers have spent as much as anyone over the years, just they spent most of it on :censored:.

Correction. Liverpool have spent more than anyone else over the last 5 years (and recouped the least by a clear distance). However, no Liverpool fan will accept this.

Poor hard done to Rafa, Poor Rafa. Sweet Rafa.

Abysmal Manager.

Correction. Liverpool have spent more than anyone else over the last 5 years (and recouped the least by a clear distance). However, no Liverpool fan will accept this.

Poor hard done to Rafa, Poor Rafa. Sweet Rafa.

Abysmal Manager.

Jeebus, just how much have city recouped???

Personally I think Benitez is never going to get near to winning the title. He's just far too negative. In fact they'll drop out of the top four soon and could well be in Leeds like trouble.

Anyone that thinks City aren't going to be a force if this lot stop with them is an idiot.

Edited by OldhamSheridan