A thought on Colbeck

Last week he was dire, yesterday it seems as though he was driving the team forward. So his problem isn't that he is rubbish it's that he is inconsistent. So at the moment every one is down on Penny for his negative tactics and bad substitutions, which is valid as far as i'm concerned. But could it be that he's actually signed a good player in Colbeck and that he is just trying to get him playing a more consistent game? If we have him Taylor and Pav all in the side at the same time we could become a good attacking force (as far fetched as that may seem). All speculation of course but a bit of hopeful speculation never hurt anyone.

He most definitly is inconsistant last week he was poor yesterday he did ok. At times yesterday he beat his man with ease and put a couple of good crosses in, then the next minute he is on his arse trying to control a simple pass or kicking the ball out under no pressure at all.

There is definitly something he can bring to the team and i dont think you can question his work rate but i would think if we actually manage to get Taylor, Purdie and Smalley fit at the same time then he will be, behind these players and most likely be used as an impact if we're trailing or brought on for someone who is tiring towards the end of a game/ time wasting substitute.

Colbeck has always had promise, but is clearly another player in need of a couple of good games to boost his confidence, as he seems to let one mistake lead to another, which then leads to a bad game.

He also needs a decent coach to show him how to keep the ball closer to his feet, and how to exploit gaps in defences by timing his runs.

A lot of criticism aimed at him has been justified, but he is another one of those players who needs a confidence boost from the coaching staff, in order to show his value. Neil Adams started off like Joe, as did Scott Vernon, and even Carl Valentine looked like Bambi on ice at first.

Here's a thought for some - how about giving a player an opportunity to find his feet, bed in and gain his confidence at a new club, before spouting off what a crap player you believe he is.

And you're spot on BP regarding performances away from home - at BP, in the first five minutes of a game, a misplaced pass/failure to beat his man results in "boos, get off you're crap, effin' ell Colbec" etc etc - clueless fools!!

Here's a thought for some - how about giving a player an opportunity to find his feet, bed in and gain his confidence at a new club, before spouting off what a crap player you believe he is.

And you're spot on BP regarding performances away from home - at BP, in the first five minutes of a game, a misplaced pass/failure to beat his man results in "boos, get off you're crap, effin' ell Colbec" etc etc - clueless fools!!

Bit radical!

To be fair he has had nearly half a season.

14 league starts. Just over a quarter.

it's true though. 6 games in and he's the 'worst player we've seen' from some - what utter tosh.

Give the lad at least half a season before making judgement on him.

He's also had a couple of owtb MOtM awards too.

I'm with you. Getting behind players makes them more likely to want to play for the cause rather than the wage. Getting on their back makes them think wtf!

Edited by opinions4u

14 league starts. Just over a quarter.

He's also had a couple of owtb MOtM awards too.

I'm with you. Getting behind players makes them more likely to want to play for the cause rather than the wage. Getting on their back makes them think wtf!

+1 the players might even enjoy it if they think the fans are behind them

Thanks very much for your contribution.

Not sure he's especially that wrong though on that.

Regarding Colbeck (I may be getting repetative on this but, what the hey...) Penney has had him before and has brought good things out of him before. He's definately worth the benefit of doubt for a fair bit longer because of that. Also you do see the odd thing in him that makes you think it may just be a settling in process.

Huzzah! Common sense on colbeck at last!

I've been warbling for ages that he isn't that bad; has decent delivery and looks to have a decent work ethic, but too often allows lapses of concentration or poor control to undo good work. Still, he has something to work with which seems to be enough to keep Smalley in the hearts of an absurd number of Latics fans regardless of performance...

Finally! I feel so happy, I'm off for a little cry.

Huzzah! Common sense on colbeck at last!

I've been warbling for ages that he isn't that bad; has decent delivery and looks to have a decent work ethic, but too often allows lapses of concentration or poor control to undo good work. Still, he has something to work with which seems to be enough to keep Smalley in the hearts of an absurd number of Latics fans regardless of performance...

Finally! I feel so happy, I'm off for a little cry.

You could have just asked me from the start you know :wink: