Getting married - venues

maddog

Sounds nice and I am sure you had a great time but I could not look past that name... Its not going to look good on the invites :)

A few people took the mick, they weren't doing so afterwards though. A couple of attendees have since booked their own weddings there.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nutters is a very nice place to go for a quaint meal out - though i'm not sure it comes into the 'budget' category.

I'm thinking White hart rochdale road = free reception.....meat&tatty/cheese & onion pie = £4 per head max and either singer/dj for £150 or the aforementiones ipod and pa system to boot = give tour best frock and suit a dust down or buy one off e-bay for a fiver a piece, polish your shoes and jobs a good 'un......

Edited by futchers briefs

Clare, dunno if this is any help but Clare and I got married a couple of years back at Nutters:

http://www.nuttersrestaurant.co.uk/wedding...onferences.html

It was very reasonable in terms of price of the venue and catering with the added bonus that the food wasn't generic chicken supreme but absolute knock-out quality! The venue actually cost a lot less than most places were asking, not sure if that is the case now as they had only just started doing weddings, might have changed.

As for entertainment, I wouldn't bother, create 3 playlists on an ipod or laptop, one for the ceremony, one for the meal then one for the disco. You can hire a PA fairly cheaply - I blew their soundsystem so recommend hiring an additional PA, I've been there to eat on Sundays and seen people collecting things from a wedding the day before and seen them carting out a PA - they probably recommend you do this these days.

They can not do enough to help you and make it such a special day, we've been back for meals and get special treatment to this day. The grounds are lovely and make a quality backdrop for the photos/dvd.

Plus can you think of a more fitting place to tie the knot than at somewhere called Nutters!?!?! :grin:

The PA system sounds good, how much would it cost to hire one? Did you have lights, do you need lights nowadays (my reception is going to be in Summer and the room will be pretty well lit with natural light...well until it gets dark anyway)?

Get people pissed enough and you won't have to worry about a band or a DJ - they'll dance to a tin whistle or the rythm of a dripping tap.

:lol: Pissed? This reminds me of Creamfields closing at 11pm leading to hundreds of bag'eads stood around burger vans trying to hear some music.

Clare, dunno if this is any help but Clare and I got married a couple of years back at Nutters:

Classy choice - Nutters is stupendous. Andrew is an aquaintance of mine and I'm happy to say that he's nearly as pleasant as his food. Great place to take a girl, expensive yet good value.

Nutters is the best restaurant in Rochdale or Oldham so far as I know, but being only tenuously in Norden and on top of a bloody great big hill it isn’t the handiest place to get to from many places in Oldham supposing you were having the ceremony there. If you do want to keep it pretty informal I reckon finger food somewhere glad to have a load of thirsty punters in would be a winner, I guess the only thing is you need is something to keep any old-timers vaguely amused before all the rest of the room get trollied.

We didn't have a PA, they had a pretty good system installed however it wasn't upto the disco, maybe the output from my laptop was too much for it but 2 songs into the disco playlist the sound went off and it wouldn't start working again so we had to take the stereo from the lounge area into the disco - fortunately it more than did the job. The only thing I did towards the organisation of the wedding was the music so I could have been really annoyed but it was all sorted out - I think that what happened to us lead to other people hiring a PA.

Not 100% of the price but I think you would be looking at a couple of hundred quid - you are usually looking around a grand for a dj, most things to do with weddings are around a grand!

They have lights and they work fine and more than did the job, if you really must have the flashing traffic lights then I'm sure you could get some somewhere.

Great place to take a girl, expensive yet good value.

Does that mean she didn’t so much as frown when you got the chains out afterwards? Is there a recognised sliding scale of value/pound spent on the evening, like a bag of chips and a fumble behind the bike sheds gives an equivalent points score to a flight to Rio and twos up with a couple of supermodels?

Does that mean she didn’t so much as frown when you got the chains out afterwards? Is there a recognised sliding scale of value/pound spent on the evening, like a bag of chips and a fumble behind the bike sheds gives an equivalent points score to a flight to Rio and twos up with a couple of supermodels?

Let's just say that, despite her being the model vegetarian, meat remained on the menu.

I wouldn't say it was too expensive, £36 for a 6 course meal of top notch quality. If you go to a mediocre restaurant you can pay £20+ for a pretty miserable meal. As with all things you get what you pay for.

Plus, if it is a "date" you are on £36 and you can guarantee you will get your end away, can you say fairer than that?

Never heard of Nutters... I always thought there was not one decent resturant in Oldham...

Might give it ago next time the folks need taking out for a Birthday or something :) 200 wines....mmmmm

They really need to change the name / sign though...

Edited by oafc0000

I wouldn't say it was too expensive, £36 for a 6 course meal of top notch quality. If you go to a mediocre restaurant you can pay £20+ for a pretty miserable meal. As with all things you get what you pay for.

Plus, if it is a "date" you are on £36 and you can guarantee you will get your end away, can you say fairer than that?

It is not expensive but it is not cheap for the average working lad... Including wine you are talking about £50-60 each ?

I spent £450 on four people at http://www.gauchorestaurants.co.uk/ recently... It was my mums 50th :) Would highly recommend the place and you can eat their much cheaper... I like my fine wines :D

Edited by oafc0000

Never heard of Nutters... I always thought there was not one decent resturant in Oldham...

Might give it ago next time the folks need taking out for a Birthday or something :) 200 wines....mmmmm

They really need to change the name / sign though...

The chef was a bit of a poor man's TV chef a few years back. I preferred it when it was The French Connection and cooked in an, erm, French style, but it is modern British with a strong regional food leaning. BT is right that it's not ridiculous prices, the only thing is that the wine is quite pricey which adds considerably to the bill on Lover family occasions.

The chef was a bit of a poor man's TV chef a few years back. I preferred it when it was The French Connection and cooked in an, erm, French style, but it is modern British with a strong regional food leaning. BT is right that it's not ridiculous prices, the only thing is that the wine is quite pricey which adds considerably to the bill on Lover family occasions.

Yeah I noticed the wines... It says though they have a lot of sub £20 wines... Lets be honest though if you are after a poke you are going to have to get the £30-40 ones :) Unless she is easy and you can just get her a lambrini or something :D

Edited by oafc0000

It is not expensive but it is not cheap for the average working lad... Including wine you are talking about £50-60 each ?

I spent £450 on four people at http://www.gauchorestaurants.co.uk/ recently... It was my mums 50th :) Would highly recommend the place and you can eat their much cheaper... I like my fine wines :D

I don't like cheap wine. :wink:

As for the name, the bloke who owns it is called Andrew Nutter, if he was called Brian Pussfilledboilwithahairstickingout with the food he cooks he would be well within his rights to call it Pussfilledboilwithahairstickingout.

I don't like cheap wine. :wink:

I am very much a wine snob but you can get some good cheaper wines :)

As for the name, the bloke who owns it is called Andrew Nutter, if he was called Brian Pussfilledboilwithahairstickingout with the food he cooks he would be well within his rights to call it Pussfilledboilwithahairstickingout.

It just dosent scream "classy" does it... Hi mum, come on, we are going to "nutters!!!".... :lol:

EDIT: Just showed the wife and she likes the name :) She also likes the 6 course sampler... Going to have a "company outing" :lol:

Edited by oafc0000

Not sure you're putting him off :wink:

Contrary to the persona I sometimes paint on here, I'm actually quite a sensitive soul who has had his fair share of heartbreak. I still can't believe the Bulgarian girl, Sasha, never called me. She was the one, and Amsterdam isn't that far away... :cry:

It just dosent scream "classy" does it... Hi mum, come on, we are going to "nutters!!!".... :lol:

EDIT: Just showed the wife and she likes the name :) She also likes the 6 course sampler... Going to have a "company outing" :lol:

I'm sure the comedy of the name was contemplated, and I don't think there will be cause for change anytime soon. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they are already booked up for Christmas....and Valentine's Day 2011!

Anyway, be sure to book yourself and enjoy. :)

I am very much a wine snob but you can get some good cheaper wines :)

Seriously, once you have been once the name doesn't bother you. I also go for the 6 course Gourmet meal, wait till you get to desert too, 6 individual mini deserts - pure indulgence. Having said that, the 5 previous courses aren't half cracking either.

Decor is a bit :censored:, only thing I would change if I ran that place.

I was going to say the head chef would need to change his name by deed poll too, but you;ve obviously realised that now...

I used to work with his sister. She definitely was a nutter. :grin:

I haven't dined there myself (yet) but by reputation it is certainly one of the better restaurants in the Oldham/Rochdale area. Might be wrong, but I think Andrew Nutter has/had a Michelin star.

And while we're completely off topic, interesting that you comment on Godparents who aren't religious. I'm an atheist these days, but have three Godchildren! The way I see it is that although I've made a certain decision about my own faith I want my friends' kids to grow up with the same kind of opportunity I had of working it out for themselves (I grew up as a church-goer, and two of my Godchildren are/will be regular attendees themselves). Aside from the religious aspect, I think a Godparent's role as a moral guardian is important - and I feel no less able to fulfil that as an atheist as I would as a believer.

Back to subject, congratulations! I really believe people can get far too carried away with all the rich trimmings of a "nice" wedding. I went to two last year, one cost a genuine fortune and the other was Chaddy registry office followed by Diggle Bandclub, and everyone I saw enjoyed the second just as much as the first. If you do opt for a registry office, then Chadderton is actually quite nice. One thing I often think is worth a little bit of extra expense is a live band instead of the usual cheesy dj.

Seriously, once you have been once the name doesn't bother you. I also go for the 6 course Gourmet meal, wait till you get to desert too, 6 individual mini deserts - pure indulgence. Having said that, the 5 previous courses aren't half cracking either.

Decor is a bit :censored:, only thing I would change if I ran that place.

Shame about the decor... I think it adds a lot to a dinning experience...

What do you get on the 6 course thing... Just thinking the wife is pregnant and the stuff she cannot eat is bigger than corps list of doom :grin:

And while we're completely off topic, interesting that you comment on Godparents who aren't religious. I'm an atheist these days, but have three Godchildren! The way I see it is that although I've made a certain decision about my own faith I want my friends' kids to grow up with the same kind of opportunity I had of working it out for themselves (I grew up as a church-goer, and two of my Godchildren are/will be regular attendees themselves). Aside from the religious aspect, I think a Godparent's role as a moral guardian is important - and I feel no less able to fulfil that as an atheist as I would as a believer.

The responsibility of the godparent is to ensure the religious education of the child so as long as you do that you are pretty much sticking to the promises you have made. Which by the sounds of it you are going to do. I have never taken issue with people being allowed to make their own judgements on the subject. I think in the modern day it is viewed as being more of a moral guardian role by people like yourself who have no faith. Which further worries me considering some of the people I know who have been chosen to be god parents :lol: I am always going to have strong feelings about his though and I think its your responsibility to educate the kid on such matters in a resonably posative light dare I say. :grin:

EDIT: Oh just read that back and it sounds like I am getting on my high horse again :lol: I am not really, being religious I am obviously going to have a "strong" opinion on it :) Don't mean to be preachy though :)

Back to subject, congratulations! I really believe people can get far too carried away with all the rich trimmings of a "nice" wedding. I went to two last year, one cost a genuine fortune and the other was Chaddy registry office followed by Diggle Bandclub, and everyone I saw enjoyed the second just as much as the first. If you do opt for a registry office, then Chadderton is actually quite nice. One thing I often think is worth a little bit of extra expense is a live band instead of the usual cheesy dj.

Agree on the live band... You usually mix it up with a DJ for when the band is not play though so it can worth out a bit ouch...

I went to a bells and whistles wedding... It was good but it lacked soul I thought... It was not very personal....

Edited by oafc0000