Getting married - venues

maddog

Myself and Jorvik Latic are hoping to get married next spring/ summer. We're on a bit of a budget (ahem) but would really appreciate owtb-ers' experiences on getting married in terms of venues of the actual wedding and the reception, catering, entertainment, etc....

We are looking at churches at the moment, but don't attend any churches, and haven't regularly for many years! I was christened Methodist and Jorvik was christened catholic. We were both born in Oldham but have only lived back here since august.

No way can we afford a hotel for reception or ceremony.

ANY advice or sharing of experience / photos would be appreciated!

Ta!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Myself and Jorvik Latic are hoping to get married next spring/ summer. We're on a bit of a budget (ahem) but would really appreciate owtb-ers' experiences on getting married in terms of venues of the actual wedding and the reception, catering, entertainment, etc....

We are looking at churches at the moment, but don't attend any churches, and haven't regularly for many years! I was christened Methodist and Jorvik was christened catholic. We were both born in Oldham but have only lived back here since august.

Ta!

Hi md - i've done quite a 'few' weddings over the years, from an entertainment side......if u pm me i'll give you venues etc, entertainment to suit a "budget", for you to choose from - though it might have to be 2morrow now....

Ta!

White Hart (Lydgate) is sweeeet. The Oak Room - only 'bout 15k...Jorvik, if your bride's family can't stump up that sort of dough you need to be thinking about calling it off..............

only joking, off course.

Hi md, Dad used to do wedding photography so knows lots of venues. Had a quick word with him and he said its the Vicars/Ministers that are crucial re Churches/Chapels. AS in his words some miserable barstewards and they can make a wedding. Gran was a florist so say when and will give you a clue re seasonal flowers.

PM me and will share thoughts on a few places. Some of the NEW venues can look stunning on a tight budget. Whatever good luck with it.

That particularly applies to singers/artists/djs!!!

Are either of you actually religious ? Personally get annoyed when people want to get married in a church just because they want the pretty setting. Although at the same time its good that people want to welcoming God into their married lives. You need all the help you can get. Seriously though you can save £££s by having a civil ceremony & reception in a single venue. No need for cars or moving people around. You just need to rent one place.

If you are religious and want a church wedding (I hope you do :) ). You are going to have a potential issue with the whole catholic vs Methodist issue. I think Catholic priest would want you to convert where as I think Methodists tend to be more relaxed. I tend to find they are all different, some more strict than others. Either way the vicar/priest is going to set conditions for attendance at church leading up to the big day and you are going to have to visit him etc. You also need your bands reading. A lot of churches want six month notice for a wedding so be mindful.

When I was looking at venues I found that hotels tend to give you the room cheap but then did you on the cost of food & drink packages. We got married at Walton Hall in Warrington. We hired the whole place for the day for something like £500 and the food and drink packages where something like 20/30% than the hotels. Plus because the whole place was ours we got all their attentions. Hotels can have three weddings on the go at once.

If you need cars for the wedding then be mindful it is cheaper to reuse cars for the various parties rather than use extra cars. For example the same car that takes you to the church can then go and pick up the brides maids etc. Then have another car for the bride.

The wedding cake is a massive waste of money I feel. Dont spend £400-500 on a fancy waste of space. Go to M&S and get three layers of there wedding cake and decorate it yourself, cost about £140 or something. More cake for less money and it can be made to look really good.

Just some stuff to help you along. Good luck :) Marriage is the best thing I ever did :)

Edited by oafc0000

Rumour has it that I'm elligible to get married in Durham cathedral simply because I've graduated Durham uni- its probably rubbish but if the time comes I will investigate, no harm in finding out. Maybe there is something similar you can use after all MD you are still the most educated person on here.

Are either of you actually religious ? Personally get annoyed when people want to get married in a church just because they want the pretty setting. Although at the same time its good that people want to welcoming God into their married lives. You need all the help you can get. Seriously though you can save £££s by having a civil ceremony & reception in a single venue. No need for cars or moving people around. You just need to rent one place.

If you are religious and want a church wedding (I hope you do :) ). You are going to have a potential issue with the whole catholic vs Methodist issue. I think Catholic priest would want you to convert where as I think Methodists tend to be more relaxed. I tend to find they are all different, some more strict than others. Either way the vicar/priest is going to set conditions for attendance at church leading up to the big day and you are going to have to visit him etc. You also need your bands reading. A lot of churches want six month notice for a wedding so be mindful.

When I was looking at venues I found that hotels tend to give you the room cheap but then did you on the cost of food & drink packages. We got married at Walton Hall in Warrington. We hired the whole place for the day for something like £500 and the food and drink packages where something like 20/30% than the hotels. Plus because the whole place was ours we got all their attentions. Hotels can have three weddings on the go at once.

If you need cars for the wedding then be mindful it is cheaper to reuse cars for the various parties rather than use extra cars. For example the same car that takes you to the church can then go and pick up the brides maids etc. Then have another car for the bride.

The wedding cake is a massive waste of money I feel. Dont spend £400-500 on a fancy waste of space. Go to M&S and get three layers of there wedding cake and decorate it yourself, cost about £140 or something. More cake for less money and it can be made to look really good.

Just some stuff to help you along. Good luck :) Marriage is the best thing I ever did :)

I actually have to agree 100% with all of this. Iaint religious at all - but agree with Zero's statements about the 'motivations' involved with Church weddings. Normally the driver behind people heading for the traditional weddings are parents, but dont do anything you are uncomfortable with - I know so many poeple who have ended up going to church for 20 weekends in a row prior to getting married, which not only takes away your time, but is one of the most hypocritical things I have ever seen.

The first thing I would do is download the list of all licenced/registered wedding venues in the regions you want to get married in - there will be hundreds, and probably will suprise you as places you have never even thought of in a million years will have licenced themselves for extra revenue (You will find it on t'interweb somewhere) and then go to have a look at a few, and get a feel for which feel right. We worked on a reasonable budget, and were suprised at what some venues charge (at both ends of the scale) - sometimes with the newer venues you can get some amazing deals, especially if it it slightly'out of season', plus, remember the recession has hammered the wedding business, or at least the avererage per wedding price, so a lot have frozen or dropped prices.

Its all about 'shopping' around and getting a feel for what is right for you... personalities matter, its not really always the venue or the church itself, bit finding the vicar/registrar, hotel owner/planner, photographer etc.. that you really 'click' with and who will really make your day special. So many people go through the sausage factory of whom are supposed to be the 'best' rather than finding someone that fits with what you want - and the less pompous people are generally the cheaper ones!

.. and throw yourself into the wedding spirit a little, head to a few wedding fayres and buy a couple of wedding magazines, you will soon see what will make a different for you, and what will just be a waste of money.... and suss out quickly who is there to rip you off....

Just make sure your day is your own! Take advice, dont let your parents take over - and make sure it 'feels' like you... that doenst have to cost loads, but just dont do something that you feel you are supposed to!

Ta!

Don't rule anything out until you know what your numbers are. Many places charge a small amount for room hire and then the rest is based on numbers. I am getting married in a very nice 5* Hotel in York in August, the cost is less than very many normal venues as we are keeping the guests down to 16 including us. We are having a big party a week later which will bring the cost up but there are many ways to skin a cat.

As for Religion, I didn't want to get married in a Church myself but I have heard quite a few religious leaders from both the Catholic/Church Of England say that they want people who don't normally attend churches to get married in one. At the end of the day, if you have any future kids baptised, they may be more likely to be church goers then if you didn't. I suppose it would depend on whether the minister/priest would be up for marrying you. Of course there are some people who don't agree with you getting married in a church but if they are church goers themselves, I would question their christian values in holding such a position.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Ta!

Just noticed the bit in bold. If you want to get married at a weekend, you will need to get moving.

Of course there are some people who don't agree with you getting married in a church but if they are church goers themselves, I would question their christian values in holding such a position.

Which christian value is the one you are questioning ?

Getting married in a church and swearing things you clearly have no faith or belief in is for me a very wrong thing to do. I also find it slightly strange when people agree to be god parents while having no faith.

End of the day it is down to the vicar of the church if it goes ahead but you will have to commit to a certain amount of church attendance etc at the very least. I don't actually know the offical CoE stance on the issue but I know my own.

Edited by oafc0000

Ta!

Clare

Regarding a cake, my wife-to-be is a first class pastry chef (worked in the Savoy in London and Hyatt in Sydney harbour). She has a sideline these days with cakes, so I'm sure she can help with designing a cake for your wedding. Let us know if you want to go down that route, you can come round and have a chat about it if you like.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Keep it coming!

Church looks like it might be out - we are both pretty much heathens. It's not the 'hypocrisy' (never thought that's the right word to use in this context) of a church wedding that's putting me off, but the 'hypocrisy' of attending services I think are a load of clap-trap in order to meet some criteria. I aint jumping through no hoops.

As for people with expertise in entertainment, cakes, etc, I will contact people nearer the time!

Having received a message on Facebook from a poster on here, with a breakdown of his wedding and costs, I think we might be in a position where we have a registry office wedding in jeans and then head to the pub afterwards. Bob's yer uncle!! :grin:

I’ve absolutely loathed the couple of times I’ve been best man at church dues and had to go along with all that, “God,” stuff. Firstly because the Priest (it being a Catholic do) was glaring at me, and the second because one of the bridesmaids who was beside me was a terrifying tambourine-basher and I was scared of her. Still doesn’t compare to Mr Tulsehill being a godfather and promising to renounce Satan and all his works, I’m sure I saw his fingers crossed behind his back.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Keep it coming!

Church looks like it might be out - we are both pretty much heathens. It's not the 'hypocrisy' (never thought that's the right word to use in this context) of a church wedding that's putting me off, but the 'hypocrisy' of attending services I think are a load of clap-trap in order to meet some criteria. I aint jumping through no hoops.

As for people with expertise in entertainment, cakes, etc, I will contact people nearer the time!

Having received a message on Facebook from a poster on here, with a breakdown of his wedding and costs, I think we might be in a position where we have a registry office wedding in jeans and then head to the pub afterwards. Bob's yer uncle!! :grin:

In Jeans :lol: Come on man... Make a bloody effort :) Put a suit on at least :lol:

EDIT: ooopppssss :)

Edited by oafc0000

Since only one of you is properly religious, you might as well make do with the Clegg Street Cathedral. As for the reception, I strongly recommend saving money on all the fancy trimmings and putting all you've got behind the bar at your favourite drinker, perhaps promising the non-drinkers a potato pie supper to keep them interested. Get people pissed enough and you won't have to worry about a band or a DJ - they'll dance to a tin whistle or the rythm of a dripping tap.

Clare, dunno if this is any help but Clare and I got married a couple of years back at Nutters:

http://www.nuttersrestaurant.co.uk/wedding...onferences.html

It was very reasonable in terms of price of the venue and catering with the added bonus that the food wasn't generic chicken supreme but absolute knock-out quality! The venue actually cost a lot less than most places were asking, not sure if that is the case now as they had only just started doing weddings, might have changed.

As for entertainment, I wouldn't bother, create 3 playlists on an ipod or laptop, one for the ceremony, one for the meal then one for the disco. You can hire a PA fairly cheaply - I blew their soundsystem so recommend hiring an additional PA, I've been there to eat on Sundays and seen people collecting things from a wedding the day before and seen them carting out a PA - they probably recommend you do this these days.

They can not do enough to help you and make it such a special day, we've been back for meals and get special treatment to this day. The grounds are lovely and make a quality backdrop for the photos/dvd.

Plus can you think of a more fitting place to tie the knot than at somewhere called Nutters!?!?! :grin: