Getting married - venues

maddog

The responsibility of the godparent is to ensure the religious education of the child so as long as you do that you are pretty much sticking to the promises you have made. Which by the sounds of it you are going to do. I have never taken issue with people being allowed to make their own judgements on the subject. I think in the modern day it is viewed as being more of a moral guardian role by people like yourself who have no faith. Which further worries me considering some of the people I know who have been chosen to be god parents :lol: I am always going to have strong feelings about his though and I think its your responsibility to educate the kid on such matters in a resonably posative light dare I say. :grin:

EDIT: Oh just read that back and it sounds like I am getting on my high horse again :lol: I am not really, being religious I am obviously going to have a "strong" opinion on it :) Don't mean to be preachy though :)

Agree on the live band... You usually mix it up with a DJ for when the band is not play though so it can worth out a bit ouch...

I went to a bells and whistles wedding... It was good but it lacked soul I thought... It was not very personal....

Godfather on 2 occasions now and i totally agree around responsibility.

Entertainment can be as cheap or as expensive as you can afford really. I've been involved in nigh on 200 weddings and seen some really cheesy expensive djs and some cheap, recommended good 'uns.

Bands and singers are great, again if they are professional and make it personal rather than 'just another gig.'

The right combination of either or both can really make or break a wedding night and all of the cost goes out of the window if the B&G have had a 'cracker'.

You can get a reasonable dj from £150 nowadays (and you can some crap as well!!) artists similar, though the better quality can be anything up to a grand, dependant upon who/what you want.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No high horse involved there. On the two more recent occasions - since I "found" atheism - I was very careful to ensure the parents were comfortable with my position before agreeing, and would have understood completely if they had opted for a Christian Godparent instead of me.

On the slightly more relevant point of whether non-church goers "should" have a church wedding, if the minister is happy to accommodate a wedding then I think that's perfectly ok - it helps boost the church's coffers after all. What I do find somewhat hypocritical is the scenario you often hear about whereby bride and groom to be are required to attend Sunday service a number of times to "qualify" to have their wedding there with no other intent than to achieve that "qualification".

On the slightly more relevant point of whether non-church goers "should" have a church wedding, if the minister is happy to accommodate a wedding then I think that's perfectly ok - it helps boost the church's coffers after all. What I do find somewhat hypocritical is the scenario you often hear about whereby bride and groom to be are required to attend Sunday service a number of times to "qualify" to have their wedding there with no other intent than to achieve that "qualification".

The real reason behind the attendance part is to help both bride and groom aware of the responsibilities they are under taking etc. It is not really about "qualifying" as such... The same happens regarding christening and its to make sure both parents understand they commitments they are making on behalf of the child etc. Its meant to be an educational thing... I can understand why you see it a different way though.

It dose come down to the minister to make the call usually.

It is not expensive but it is not cheap for the average working lad... Including wine you are talking about £50-60 each ?

I spent £450 on four people at http://www.gauchorestaurants.co.uk/ recently... It was my mums 50th :) Would highly recommend the place and you can eat their much cheaper... I like my fine wines :D

Nutters was very good when it was the smaller place further up the hill as it had a better atmosphere- much more cosy for taking women to too. When it moved down the hill to what used to be the Manor (many a childhood party memories) it was OK but I went with the folks to a xmas do they had and it was one of the worst meals of my life for service- the kitchen couldn't cope with everyone eating at once and they got our reservation wrong so we were 30mins behind everyone else leaving naff all good for desert as it had all been eaten- doesn't bode well for a wedding. Been back since (but not as often- and I think we went because my Dad had a voucher) and it was good but like I said not as good as when it used to be in the smaller place- don't think Nutter has himself a Michelin Star (I would have noticed) but in terms of restaurants in Oldham/Dale even on a bad day it will easily be the best. The wine is OK but its nothing to write home about (certainly not if you've been to Gaucho's) but it isn't that expensive. However, unless someone is willing to drive its a pain to get to so a rather expensive taxi is needed.

As for Gaucho- its brilliant I recommended it on here prior to the masters I think. Some very good wine, great meat and it has a decent atmosphere. If you can afford it go- its the BEST restaurant in Manchester IMHO.

Although it is the wrong side of the city for 000s I would recommend this other Argentinian in Huddersfield called Argento's- its well worth a trip over the hill for some very good food (at 1/3 the price of Gaucho- they are both Argentinian) and some very good wine- they've a really really nice Malbec for about £25.

I can see the educational aspect, and from the church's point of view that's perfectly fine. But how many non-religious couples actually take any notice of that while they're attending?

Its hard to say isn't it... It is down to the couple how much they want to get involved... non-religous people have returned after getting married at our church which is nice...

Edited by oafc0000

Might try the Manchester Gaucho sometime - can't beat a good bit of marinated Argentinian cow. :grin:

Have to say though, I've eaten in the Gaucho Canary Wharf and was pretty underwhelmed.

Give it a go I think its superb... I highly suggest having it cooked as they recommend... When you sit down they bring around a board with each of the cuts of meat and explain how it is best cooked... Do they do that at Canary Wharf ? I found the Rib Eye to be the best cut.. I love steak and I do not think I have had a better one than the three times I have been to Gauchos..

I find Lodon restaurants generally to be poor...

Edited by oafc0000

And while we're completely off topic, interesting that you comment on Godparents who aren't religious. I'm an atheist these days, but have three Godchildren! The way I see it is that although I've made a certain decision about my own faith I want my friends' kids to grow up with the same kind of opportunity I had of working it out for themselves (I grew up as a church-goer, and two of my Godchildren are/will be regular attendees themselves).

I was brought up from a very young age to believe that every bridge had a Troll living beneath it. I no longer believe this to be true, but if I were ever a Godfather I would want to give them the same opportunity to test this belief system out for itself so would tell them that there were trolls about to eat them for their supper. And that fairies live at the bottom of the garden. And that Mohammed, and Jesus, were both the final messenger of God. And...

Meaty. Verrrrrrry meaty...

You sit there while they bring skewers to your table; sirloin steak, fillet steak, chilli chicken, sausages, chicken wrapped in bacon... you name it. There's a bit of a salad bar for the wimmin, but the fellas just tend to load up on protein.

That sound interesting, I need a different place to eat. Fed up of Chinatown and sodding Piccolinos/Croma. What's it like?

If you like fish may I recommend Whitebait off Albert square- for a restaurant where it is very good value- its not that expensive, good quality and the portions are fairly large. If you don't like fish, however, don't go it is definately a fish restaurant with only 1 steak and i chicken dish on the menu for mains.

Edited by rudemedic

Meaty. Verrrrrrry meaty...

You sit there while they bring skewers to your table; sirloin steak, fillet steak, chilli chicken, sausages, chicken wrapped in bacon... you name it. There's a bit of a salad bar for the wimmin, but the fellas just tend to load up on protein.

Sounds good - I'll sort out a reservation, but can I add here that I'm a sucker for rocket, watercress and spinach? It's great...

If you like fish may I recommend Whitebait off Albert square- for a restaurant where it is very good value- its not that expensive, good quality and the portions are fairly large. If you don't like fish, however, don't go it is definately a fish restaurant with only 1 steak and i chicken dish on the menu for mains.

I do eat a lot of fish but it tends to be tuna, halibut or haddock. maybe bass. I might give that a go too some time.

Sounds good - I'll sort out a reservation, but can I add here that I'm a sucker for rocket, watercress and spinach? It's great...

I do eat a lot of fish but it tends to be tuna, halibut or haddock. maybe bass. I might give that a go too some time.

If you like Thai, the Chaoprayer is very good. I also quite like Bachalania, both on Chapel Walks.