The Great escape anyone?

One person does not make a team....yet Mr Abbott has found the back of the net for us again...Well done!

Those who went to the game - Did Mr Penney come over to clap you? Apparently, this is now a sign that that was the managers last game.

So, where are we going to be placed at the end of the season ladies and gentleman?

I was hoping the playoffs, or there abouts for Mr Penney's first season. My revised view is about 12th.

Anyone else wanna revise their predictions?

One person does not make a team....yet Mr Abbott has found the back of the net for us again...Well done!

Those who went to the game - Did Mr Penney come over to clap you? Apparently, this is now a sign that that was the managers last game.

So, where are we going to be placed at the end of the season ladies and gentleman?

I was hoping the playoffs, or there abouts for Mr Penney's first season. My revised view is about 12th.

Anyone else wanna revise their predictions?

Penney has evidently been told just to avoid the drop this season and has probably had a budget to correlate with those ambitions. This is evident from the sheer lack of talk from both board and managers on where they expect us to finish, Penneys comments of wanting to get to 50 points as quickly as possible and to be frank just everyones 'not really that bothered' attitude.

Yes we have had a large amount of injuries but even with the players we have brought in majority from league 2...all fit and well we would be a mid table team at the very best with only abbott, gregan and possibly taylor promotion quality. (Taylor has been below average for around 12 months now).

We will do well to finish 20th and I think it will be job well done for manager and the board if we do. Shows a sheer lack of ambition and that is why fans are leaving in droves, if the club cant be bothered making a go of it why should we.

We have won 6 games and scored only 20 goals in half a flamin season and for what ever reason it's not good enough, by the time we get to Failsworth we won't have a bloody team to support!!!!!

Sort it out TTA...we are six years into a five year plan and it's clearly not working!

Pre season i had a good look at what we had and said 15th thinking we'd knock around 10th all season and then drop down in the final stages. As it is i'm now going to say we'l scrap around 18-20 but have a couple of wins at the end to take us to 15th.

Edited by BJBlue

Penney has evidently been told just to avoid the drop this season and has probably had a budget to correlate with those ambitions. This is evident from the sheer lack of talk from both board and managers on where they expect us to finish, Penneys comments of wanting to get to 50 points as quickly as possible and to be frank just everyones 'not really that bothered' attitude.

Yes we have had a large amount of injuries but even with the players we have brought in majority from league 2...all fit and well we would be a mid table team at the very best with only abbott, gregan and possibly taylor promotion quality. (Taylor has been below average for around 12 months now).

We will do well to finish 20th and I think it will be job well done for manager and the board if we do. Shows a sheer lack of ambition and that is why fans are leaving in droves, if the club cant be bothered making a go of it why should we.

It's obvious that the club is treading water until the new ground is built. If we drop into the fourth division, the attitude seems to be 'so be it.' After all, we'll have a fourth division-sized ground to go with it.

It's obvious that the club is treading water until the new ground is built. If we drop into the fourth division, the attitude seems to be 'so be it.' After all, we'll have a fourth division-sized ground to go with it.

Or 'I'd rather be winning in league 2 than losing in league 1'

We cannot afford to get relegated.

It is as plain and simple as that.

I saw the club in the old 4th division in the 1960 (some great matches too I might add) , I don't think anyone then envisaged even championship football and certainly not 3 appearances at Wembley.

Things can change quickly in football, the game is littered with clubs falling from grace and others aspiring above their station.

In reality Latics have probably found their true level in this division.

I saw the club in the old 4th division in the 1960 (some great matches too I might add) , I don't think anyone then envisaged even championship football and certainly not 3 appearances at Wembley.

Things can change quickly in football, the game is littered with clubs falling from grace and others aspiring above their station.

In reality Latics have probably found their true level in this division.

Surely when a club has managed an unbroken quarter century in the second-tier (with a few seasons in the top flight), whether anybody expected it or not, it should have fought tooth and nail to regain that status? Apart from in the Dowie season we've never really looked like doing that. What's the point of advancing at all if you regard it as temporary? Surely a club should constantly look to raise its status and profile in the game?

Dropping into the third tier was an utter disaster for the club, coming as it did at when all the money was becoming concentrated in the divisions above us. It's the reason we've become stranded where we are and look more likely to fall further by the week. Things can change quickly, as you say, but nowadays it takes vast sums of money to advance up the league and stay up. It's simply impossible to do it the way Jimmy Frizzell did it (although proportionally the club probably spent more money then, as you had to actually pay transfer fees.) The club has never really had a strategy since dropping out of the PL (if it had one at all), and this is now taking it's toll. I know that many people will say that the proposed new stadium represents some sort of strategy, but I don't see that a 12000 capacity (or is it 10000?) represents any ambition to see the club established in the Championship.

Settling back and regarding the third-tier as our natural level in today's game is why we are where we are. Looking further, it's the fastest route to the Conference.

Surely when a club has managed an unbroken quarter century in the second-tier (with a few seasons in the top flight), whether anybody expected it or not, it should have fought tooth and nail to regain that status? Apart from in the Dowie season we've never really looked like doing that. What's the point of advancing at all if you regard it as temporary? Surely a club should constantly look to raise its status and profile in the game?

Dropping into the third tier was an utter disaster for the club, coming as it did at when all the money was becoming concentrated in the divisions above us. It's the reason we've become stranded where we are and look more likely to fall further by the week. Things can change quickly, as you say, but nowadays it takes vast sums of money to advance up the league and stay up. It's simply impossible to do it the way Jimmy Frizzell did it (although proportionally the club probably spent more money then, as you had to actually pay transfer fees.) The club has never really had a strategy since dropping out of the PL (if it had one at all), and this is now taking it's toll. I know that many people will say that the proposed new stadium represents some sort of strategy, but I don't see that a 12000 capacity (or is it 10000?) represents any ambition to see the club established in the Championship.

Settling back and regarding the third-tier as our natural level in today's game is why we are where we are. Looking further, it's the fastest route to the Conference.

Eventually the top two divisions will be Premierships 1 and 2 (as proposed in November by Phil Gartside) and you can bet there will be a minimum ground capacity which will be higher 12000

Or 'I'd rather be winning in league 2 than losing in league 1'

It's exactly what people thought when we dropped out of the PL. And what many thought when we dropped into this division. There is nor reason at all to think that we'll be any more successful after another relegation. All that will happen is that 'the cloth will be cut to fit' once again and on the decline will go.

Eventually the top two divisions will be Premierships 1 and 2 (as proposed in November by Phil Gartside) and you can bet there will be a minimum ground capacity which will be higher 12000

Looks like we might have to be content with 10000 anyway. Maybe we'll miss out on the minimum requirement for the next division down.

What-that you think that after 37 years I can't be critical of a club that seems intent on committing suicide?

Aren't you the one who until recently supported another club? (Apologies in advance if I'm mistaking you for somebody else.)

No you aren't confusing me for someone else, but I can't understand your negativity for a club you have supported all your life.

The rest of the night is yours, as I'm off out in a minute or two. Have a good night Grinch :wink: