A familiar story

I was amazed to see the game was to be on today, but battling through the snow arrived at an arctic oasis - with no snow on the grass and passable roads.

Perhaps it would have been better if it wasn't.

So first half, we have a couple of shots as we open as brightly as you can playing 12 at the back. One side footed effort, may have been heading wide but was deflected further wide by their defender just in case.

Then the new lad at the back, who I thought had a decent game for a first one in a very makeshift defence; broke down the left before hitting it high wide and handsome.

Then Lee (at right back) misses his tackle they knock it over the middle and it's a goal. A complete gift.

Then Gregan heads the ball down to their centre forward (who was breaking past Lee, but I struggle to blame him for this one), and it's a goal.

Second half, they take over the game as Oldham continue to play very negative football across the back line. Finally Penney brings on Taylor and Abbott, and the game changes as Oldham go forward.

Hartlepool create their first chance of the game, and hit the post.

A stonewall handball is given for Oldham, but was it in the area? Oldham players and fans are adamant it is. It looked it to me but I was a fair way off on the other side.

Taylor is causing problems and Pools again bring him down. I would guess someone reacted to him off the ball in the middle, as a red card followed for the Hartlepool player.

Then Oldham take over. A tap in for Abbott, and the pressure mounts.

The ball is all over the Hartlepool area as chances are wasted by Taylor (free header) and Blackman (should have shot). Agonisingly close at the end, Latics got what they deserved for the initial negative approach.

We showed what we can do when we attack, there's a decent team waiting to have a go. This was just the same old :censored: though, until it was far too late.

it sounds better than it has done recently. my only worry is that we are rushing taylor and pav back too soon for the sake of winning in the short term but i think id prefer for them to be fully fit before they are put back into the first team, even if that means we lose a couple becuase they could be the difference between staying up and relegation and i know which one id prefer

So you saying its a combination of tactics and personnel ?

More tactics I'd say. If you play the whole game at the back, that is where your cockups are going to happen.

And that is what did us. Our cockups (three or four major ones) were at the back, two resulting in goals. Hartlepool really didn't have to create anything (and damn near came close to not doing so), but won due to our negativity.

I'm all for strikers having a go and missing, fair enough, but all we did was play pretty triangles until Gregan got it - then it'd be hoofed to no one and they had the ball. We need to give the strikers the chance to miss.

At the end, given no choice we did that and it got very close to being a draw.

I'm hoping the return of Abbott and Taylor will bring about a chance in attacking philosophy.

I was amazed to see the game was to be on today, but battling through the snow arrived at an arctic oasis - with no snow on the grass and passable roads. I take my hat off to you for venturing.

Perhaps it would have been better if it wasn't.

So first half, we have a couple of shots as we open as brightly as you can playing 12 at the back. One side footed effort, may have been heading wide but was deflected further wide by their defender just in case.

Then the new lad at the back, who I thought had a decent game for a first one in a very makeshift defence; broke down the left before hitting it high wide and handsome.Each to their own

Then Lee (at right back) misses his tackle they knock it over the middle and it's a goal. A complete gift.

Then Gregan heads the ball down to their centre forward (who was breaking past Lee, but I struggle to blame him for this one), and it's a goal.

Second half, they take over the game as Oldham continue to play very negative football across the back line. Finally Penney brings on Taylor and Abbott, and the game changes as Oldham go forward.Should have started with them IMO!!

Hartlepool create their first chance of the game, and hit the post.

A stonewall handball is given for Oldham, but was it in the area?Debatable, SSN was unsure Oldham players and fans are adamant it is. It looked it to me but I was a fair way off on the other side.

Taylor is causing problemsAbout time! and Pools again bring him down. I would guess someone reacted to him off the ball in the middle, as a red card followed for the Hartlepool player.

Then Oldham take over. A tap in for Abbott, and the pressure mounts.

The ball is all over the Hartlepool area as chances are wasted by Taylor (free header) and Blackman (should have shot). Agonisingly close at the end, Latics got what they deserved for the initial negative approach.Down to tactics employed by you know who

We showed what we can do when we attack,more of please DP there's a decent team waiting to have a go. This was just the same old :censored: though, until it was far too late.

I've said it before, and I fear I'll say it again, but if you start the game without a realistic way how you are going to score a goal then you will get beaten. Not just draw. As OS says, if you play in defence your mistakes will be more costly than ones higher up. Even a planned Hoof approach is preferable to keep-ball.

I've said it before, and I fear I'll say it again, but if you start the game without a realistic way how you are going to score a goal then you will get beaten. Not just draw. As OS says, if you play in defence your mistakes will be more costly than ones higher up. Even a planned Hoof approach is preferable to keep-ball.

+ ?.........me for one