"Taylor and Abbott may not be agjudged fit enough to start"

Why not?

Both were expected to be involved on Boxing Day!

Both made an impact at Hartlepool

Both praised at length by Penney concerning their fitness improvements during the last two weeks

Both should not be disadvantaged in terms of match practice compared to the rest of the team, they have ALL had a lengthy break

Both need to start Wednesday, not left on the bench to possibly chase the game again

LEEDS UTD?

id prefer that they missed a couple of games now and gained full fitness for the rest of the season rather than rushing back now and losing them at a crucial point later on when we need all players fit.

a place above the drop zone,next game against a team below us how crucial do you want.

id prefer that they missed a couple of games now and gained full fitness for the rest of the season rather than rushing back now and losing them at a crucial point later on when we need all players fit.

Why are they not fit when we were told they were ready for boxing day and involved at Hartlepool and like the rest of the squad have not kicked a ball since? Shouldn't we be told they are chomping at the bit or fired up for Wednesday even though we know it might be only for an hour or so rather than reading more negative spin in the chron?

the only way to get fit is to play f***ing matches!!

theyve been having bleep tests and running now for the past 3 weeks testing out their injured areas so there should be no problems.

The only way to get them fit is to let them run their scks off at full pelt in games, do their jobs and win the games for us by getting us a couple of goals up then take them off after 75mins!!

bloody simple. if they get injured again then so be it, that's life!!

Edited by shefflatic

theyve been having bleep tests and running now for the past 3 weeks testing out their injured areas so there should be no problems.

The only way to get them fit is to let them run their scks off at full pelt in games, do their jobs and win the games for us by getting us a couple of goals up then take them off after 75mins!!

Why can't more people show a more positive attitude like this..its the truth and the club and its supposed allies and supporters should not be 'taken in' by negative journalism and a distinct lack of enthusiasm from Penny and the club.

What has been said in the Chron / club website to inspire people to attend on Wednesday night? This game is MASSIVE!!!

supporters should not be 'taken in' by negative journalism and a distinct lack of enthusiasm from Penny and the club.

Are you suggesting that they are considering not starting Abbott and Taylor because they're not enthusiastic about the club?

While managers make mistakes, sometimes far too often, I think we have to accept their judgement when it comes to players returning from injury. I'm sure any decision Penney makes in this respect (which will be backed up with comments from physio and possibly doctors) will be one he makes in the best interests of the club and this season.

I want them both to play - but not at the expense of them missing 6 games each afterwards.

Edited by opinions4u

If they are fit enough to be on the bench then they are fit enough to play.

In an ideal world yes. Unfortunately, we don't exist in an ideal world. Even the (once) mighty Liverpool are forced to play Gerrard and Torres when they're not fit because all their other players are sh*t.

I don't agree with some of Penney's decisions recently, but he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't on this one. If he keeps them on the bench and we perform badly against the Bin Dippers, it's his fault. If he plays them and one of them suffers a recurrence of their injury, it's his fault. I guess we can only trust what the physios/medics have advised him.

If they are fit enough to be on the bench then they are fit enough to play. Start them and if they are tiring then bring them off. Better than bringin them on if we are trailing IMO.

That’s nail and head for me.

It’s a different mindset coming on as a sub when you’re trailing and are forced to go and try to win the game from the cold of the bench.

2 of your best players lining up & starting the game raises both their teammates and fans; and provides a spring-board & impetus to go on and push for a much needed home win from the 1st whistle.

As has been said, they have to start for me; take them off after the job is done (hopefully) not bring them on when we’re (potentially) chasing the game.

Why are they not fit when we were told they were ready for boxing day and involved at Hartlepool and like the rest of the squad have not kicked a ball since? Shouldn't we be told they are chomping at the bit or fired up for Wednesday even though we know it might be only for an hour or so rather than reading more negative spin in the chron?

They've played about 20 minutes since their return for a long spell on the sidelines, so they might be fit enough to run etc, but not match fit, they need to get their sharpness back and that wont happen in 20 flamin minutes.

I say leve them on bench until at least half-time then see hosw the games going and whether they should be should be on or not.

+1

After one game in 30 days I shouldn't think anyone is match fit.

But, taylor & abbott have less fitness due to their injuries, better to miss the start of one game and come on as a sub easing them back into starting, rather than being injured for the next 6 games due to being rushed back

After one game in 30 days I shouldn't think anyone is match fit.

Exactly. Every player out there is gonna be rusty - even Tranmere's lot (Look at Rotherham tonight, I'm not expecting a classic tomorrow night).

For me, they'll be playing. They've been training, all they can do is play the games now. Everyting about this club is cautious and defensive.