Say NO to Failsworth?

No you may not Johnny, but there are other fans who still try to play the postcode card and the "its not part of oldham" card.

That's nonsense. No one has mentioned postcodes for a very long time. And even if they did, they'd have a point.

As for all this accuracy bollocks... well, it's just that. Bollocks. They all consider themselves Mancs down that neck of the woods. Stop kidding yourselves. They don't give a toss about Oldham.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1!!!!

"But..but...its got a manchester postcode, so it hasto be part of manchester...."

Regardless of whether people consider themselves to be mancunians or oldhamers, Failsworth is within the boundaries of Oldham, and comes under Oldham Council, end of story. The sooner this postcode argument is knocked on the head the better.

Do Bury complain that they have a Bolton Postcode?

Do Rochdale, Bacup, Rawenstall, and half of Tameside complain because they have an Oldham postcode,

Southport, the small town/pensioners paradise on the coast of merseyside where poor scouse kids go for their holidays, has a PR postcode, does that make it a Preston club?

Answers are no, no and no.

Who has mentioned the postcode on here in months? Who are you actually quoting? Who actually cares what the postcode is apart from yourself? Postcodes as are comparisons are irrelevant. Failsworth is Manchester, live with it.

That's nonsense. No one has mentioned postcodes for a very long time. And even if they did, they'd have a point.

As for all this accuracy bollocks... well, it's just that. Bollocks. They all consider themselves Mancs down that neck of the woods. Stop kidding yourselves. They don't give a toss about Oldham.

Well then, I hope that it mildly irks them to have Oldham Athletic's ground on their doorsteps. I suspect that it isn't so much of a big deal for the average Failsworthian as it is for some on here. There's a few inferiority complexes working overdrive I feel.

Spent the first 4 years of my life less than a minute from the proposed site, on Victoria Street Failsworth (google map it to see just how close it is) and then the next 14 years a 5 minute walk away just off Lord Lane. I then moved to Uni.

I am as born and bread Failsworth as it's possible to be I'd say and I'd say I'm from Oldham and introduced myself as from "Oldham, just outside Manchester" to every person I met around the world on a ten month trip.

You can't just use a single brushstroke to colour in an intricate artwork.

Staying in Oldham, not going to Manchester.

Manchester has 2 clubs. Oldham has 1. It has to stay that way.

Failsworth is a town in Lancashire and also part of the Oldham borough for the last 35 years. It's not a suburb of Manchester.

Say YES to Failsworth.

That may be true, but it negates the overly negative "all mancs" attitude you and many others are so fearful of.

You know as well as I do that saying "all" was for effect. I stand by my claim that the vast majority of people from Failsworth feel no affinity towards Oldham.

At least the people of Royton, Chadderton and the Other Place do.

You know as well as I do that saying "all" was for effect. I stand by my claim that the vast majority of people from Failsworth feel no affinity towards Oldham.

They're still United and City fans though.

Simple fact is that Failsworth offers an opportunity to provide a better off field product to present Latics fans, as a result making it easier to attract future Latics fans when they know they will be able to sit in dry comfortable conditions where they can purchase pies and drinks without giant queues or having to be in "the right stand" to buy beer.

I feel absolutely zero affinity to 'Oldham' as a town, and i have lived on the oldham/manchester border all my life.

My affinity is attached to the football club, not the town

Who has mentioned the postcode on here in months? Who are you actually quoting? Who actually cares what the postcode is apart from yourself? Postcodes as are comparisons are irrelevant. Failsworth is Manchester, live with it.

Even if it is (which it isn't) mate, it really wouldn't bother me. If it's in the Metropoliton Borough of Oldham it's enough as far as I can see, so what if it's on the border of Manchester. The people banging the drum about how Mancunian Failsworth is just have no forward thinking about how the place will be in two or three generations time when by then Failsworth will not have even been a part of Manchester for over 70 years.

I'm all for pride about Oldham and that, but all the crap about stopping supporting the club if they play in Failsworth, to be honest the club are better without fans of that ilk.

Even if it is (which it isn't) mate, it really wouldn't bother me. If it's in the Metropoliton Borough of Oldham it's enough as far as I can see, so what if it's on the border of Manchester. The people banging the drum about how Mancunian Failsworth is just have no forward thinking about how the place will be in two or three generations time when by then Failsworth will not have even been a part of Manchester for over 70 years.

I'm all for pride about Oldham and that, but all the crap about stopping supporting the club if they play in Failsworth, to be honest the club are better without fans of that ilk.

agree 100 %

its already happening...

So they're so intrinsically linked to their small town mentality they'd abandon the club they love BEFORE it's even moved.

Proposals have come and gone for new stadia for years now, if this was to fall by the way side would they come back?

So they're so intrinsically linked to their small town mentality they'd abandon the club they love BEFORE it's even moved.

Proposals have come and gone for new stadia for years now, if this was to fall by the way side would they come back?

i'd say its a mixture of things..

impending move out of traditional supporters area

crap football

lousy performances

run down stadium

not value for money

being stuck in this division

sure there are others.

crap football

lousy performances

run down stadium

not value for money

sure there are others.

Those things I can accept, and can be overcome. It's this archaic small town mentality of a line on the map being the deciding factor which gets my blood boiling.

If we're offering a better facility from which to offer a product that's step one of many. It's not a definitive answer, just one of a progression of things which need to happen and the steadfast refusal to accept it from many just highlights their embarrassingly narrow view of the world.

Those things I can accept, and can be overcome. It's this archaic small town mentality of a line on the map being the deciding factor which gets my blood boiling.

If we're offering a better facility from which to offer a product that's step one of many. It's not a definitive answer, just one of a progression of things which need to happen and the steadfast refusal to accept it from many just highlights their embarrassingly narrow view of the world.

Here here.

I can't see me moving to Failsworth. I want Boundary Park to be re-developed like we were promised. I walked from the Town Hall to Boundary Park to help the owners get this, but feel betrayed that the decison to move the club has been done, finalised and made - including a deal with the council - before they have considered what the fans want.

I have the destinct feeling that decisions have been made on the premise that "once we hit the last hardcore of fans, we can't lose any more of them" and I dont think it is true.

I very much doubt I will get a Season Ticket next year - I'll still do a fair number of away games, and am not giving up completely yet, but the way I feel about the club, the ownership and the future........I feel that I am on the wain.

agree, but its got to be recognised by TTA that starting a new season in a spanking new stadium in the 4th division isn't going to get those seats filled.

the remedy for that forthcoming event starts with every game we have this season,and beyond.

..and thats how i'm sure most of the drift aways see things ATM.

crap football

lousy performances

run down stadium

not value for money

sure there are others.

I also think you are right JP, but just not in that order

Crap position in the league

crap football

lousy performances

not value for money

run down stadium

All of which are overcomable with a bit of luck and the right direction.